D&D 5E Tales of the Old Margreve in Greyhawk?

Perun

Mushroom
I'm toying with the idea of a (partially, at least) fey-themed campaign. I'd like to have it set in Greyhawk, but I'd like to use some of the material from the Tales of the Old Margreve (originally for Kobold Press' Midgard campaign setting). Also, I'm thinking of cold-themed fey as the antagonists (well, Autumn court, actually... the other autumn court; that is, not the one tied to harvest and bounty, but the one that leads to winter, the court of fear, cold and dying -- I might've gotten the idea from WoD's Mage, but I'm not sure).

Anyways, even though I like Greyhawk, I'm not very well versed in the lore. Which ancient forest would you recommend as a stand-in for the Old Margreve. It would help if it was a temperate forest, experiencing a full range of seasons.

Has anyone used Tales of the Old Margreve in GH?

Thanks in advance! :)

Shiroiken

Legend
The Dim Forest in the Sheldomar Valley between the Gran March and the Grand Duchy of Geoff is probably best for your purposes. Technically the Dreadwood in Keoland would also work, but might be too warm for your use of cold fey.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
The Dim Forest in the Sheldomar Valley between the Gran March and the Grand Duchy of Geoff is probably best for your purposes. Technically the Dreadwood in Keoland would also work, but might be too warm for your use of cold fey.
You're raining on my overly-warm parade here dude.:cry:

Perun

Mushroom
Thanks, guys. The Dim Forest seems like a good choice. I was considering Vesve and Gamboge forests, but also Welkwood and Suss. Didn't really look at Dim forest, as it's listed among the minor timberlands.

Anyways, a very rough campaign outline (just an idea, really) is that there's one of those "thin places" in the forest, where Feywild almost touches Prime Material. This particular place links to the domain of said Autumn fey. The archfey of the Autumn court* wanted to increase his (her?) power by establishing a foothoold on the Prime Material, but he was stopped by druids a long, long time ago, who sealed him off. Ages pass, and the seals are worn off now, due to passage of time. Enter the PCs, who unwittingly break the seal (very) early in their careers...

* So, I'm thinking of Autumn court as a sort of in-between court between Summer and Winter, i.e. there are sides within the court leaning towards one or the other. Current ruler leans towards Summer, and thus the association of Autumn court with harvests, bounty, merriment, etc. However, there's also the other side, representing the part of autumn that leads to winter, manifest in heavy rains, long and increasingly colder nights, appearance of wolves, fear of winter, dying of nature, etc. They have long been pushed to the court margins, and now they want to rise to power again. Again, this might be from Mage: the Acension (not sure, old WoD in any case, I think)... or maybe Changeling from the old WoD... I read it ages ago, and I liked the idea, but I'm not sure how much of it is from the game, perhaps all of it...

TheSword

Legend
I’m currently using Old Margreve in a Kingmaker Computer AP/Computer Game mashup as the Narlmarches. It fits so well with the fey theme of the AP.

It really is an awesome product, one of the best I’ve seen by a Third Party.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
If you're interested in this subject, also check out the Runewild from Sneak Attack Press: The Runewild Campaign Setting - Sneak Attack Press | DriveThruRPG.com

I like it better than Margraeve (which is also excellent) but there are definitely ideas you could steal from both. Margraeve is more about "the forest is magic and turns you into a plant" and Runewild is more about "lots of fey here who will turn you into a swine."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases