• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Talislanta to D20 conversion?

Argent Silvermage

First Post
My concept works for both companies. It would be a simple conversion of the Races, classes (if any) and monsters.
You would need Tal 4ed to play the world. Or an older version like Tal 3rd. ed.

Grimm

Well, I talked to Russ, and he pointed out the obvious problems that a) we don't have anyone to write it, though that can be rectified, and b) Shooting Iron will probably want us to pay them for rights to publish Tal. So, this weekend I'm going to email Mr. Sechi, ask if he'd be cool with it, then email the folks at Shooting Iron and see if they'd be willing to talk (I need to wait 'til the weekend because I'm moving away from college for the summer, and am leaving today).

Hopefully SI will be willing to work out an agreement to split profits, because Nat20 doesn't have any real cash to pay for a license.

V-2

First Post
RW, before you write to him, you may want to have a look at the d20 discussion on the mailing list, which began around May 1st and came to an inconclusive end a couple days ago:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/talislanta-l/

Interestingly enough, Sechi staid pretty much out of the fight. Towards the end, a guy called Roger Bonzer wrote a very fine analysis of what may be involved in a Tal d20 conversion.

Heh, I'm having a hard time finding the blinking email address to send my proposal to. Anyone care to help out?

And my, that debate on the list over there sure got nasty from time to time. A shame, because I'm pretty sure a conversion shouldn't be too hard.

Well, I have contacted them, and of course their reaction is guarded, but I think they might be interested. On the chance that they are, who here would be interested in working on a conversion. I'd like to do it myself, but I'm busy until August at least working on Nat20's Mythic Earth, so if we intend to actually do a conversion some time soon, I'll need a skilled writer to tackle it. Anyone interested?

Well, to anyone who is interested, could you both post here and contact me at my email address (RangerWickett @ hotmail.com). When you contact my email address, please include a writing sample if possible, preferably for the D20 system. I'll probably hold the position open until Sunday May 19th, and once I've gotten several offers, I'll pick who I think will do best.

If you haven't written anything for D20 before, probably the best way to go about submitting would be to kill two birds with one stone--propose an article for Asgard magazine, which I can then use as a gauge for your writing skills. That way, even if you don't get chosen, at least your submission has a good chance of seeing the light of day in the digital pages of Asgard.

If you're interested in seeing a Tal D20 conversion, please continue posting here--ideas for how to handle rules-changes would be great, and even just encouragement would be cool. Right now, no one has emailed me, not even Argent, about working on the conversion, and if you want to see the product being started before November (which is when I'll be free), I need someone to be the writer for this. Please keep the discussion going.

The main things that need to be done for the conversion are, in my opinion:

Magic
Races
Converting Archetypes to Classes
Creating Prestige Classes to capture some of the setting's flavor

Also, we need to decide how much we want to change the main rules of d20 so they conform to Tal. Will all natural 1's have a possible chance for a mishap, for instance? Let's talk about this stuff. :)

Argent Silvermage

First Post
RangerWickett said:
If you're interested in seeing a Tal D20 conversion, please continue posting here--ideas for how to handle rules-changes would be great, and even just encouragement would be cool. Right now, no one has emailed me, not even Argent, about working on the conversion, and if you want to see the product being started before November (which is when I'll be free), I need someone to be the writer for this. Please keep the discussion going.

The main things that need to be done for the conversion are, in my opinion:

Magic
Races
Converting Archetypes to Classes
Creating Prestige Classes to capture some of the setting's flavor

Also, we need to decide how much we want to change the main rules of d20 so they conform to Tal. Will all natural 1's have a possible chance for a mishap, for instance? Let's talk about this stuff. :)

I'm still writing.... Sorry. you'll have it by tomorrow.

V-2

First Post
Me, I'm still trying to get hold of the goddamn book (Tal 4). But I wouldn't be available anyway.

OTOH, I noticed that none other than Alan Kohler recently joined the Tal mailing list... hmmmm... do we have a volunteer? :D

But in any event, don't you want to wait for a response from Shooting Iron and SMS first? Along the lines of, "generally that would be fine, now let's see some material"?

Remove ads