Target : Object, can the object be on another creature ?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
MarkB said:
How is that anything but a non sequitur?

I'm just wondering how you'd rule a touch attack on an unconscious opponent... attack roll vs touch AC (including Dex modifier of -5 and Prone penalty), or automatic touch?

-Hyp.

frankthedm

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
What would be the action required to pick up an unconscious creature?

-Hyp.
Manipulate an Item
In most cases, moving or manipulating an item is a move action.

This includes retrieving or putting away a stored item, picking up an item, moving a heavy object, and opening a door. Examples of this kind of action, along with whether they incur an attack of opportunity, are given in Table: Move Actions.

The keyword is most. I'd advise a standard action to safely pick up someone who is dying. Full round action if the person picking up is wearing armor spikes.

MarkB

Legend
Hypersmurf said:
I'm just wondering how you'd rule a touch attack on an unconscious opponent... attack roll vs touch AC (including Dex modifier of -5 and Prone penalty), or automatic touch?

-Hyp.
I still don't see how that compares to actually picking up a bulky object that you have to take special care in handling, such as an unconscious person. To deliver a touch spell, all you need to do is the very first stage of that action - to touch them.

Hmm, I think I take your point though, or else you bring up another. Delivering a touch attack against a helpless opponent still requires an attack roll by the rules, unless you're making a coup de grace attack, so should it be any different for an unattended object?

I guess this is a little anomoly of the rules. Touching an unattended object in order to lift or move it is a move action that requires no attack, and will automatically discharge a held Touch spell into that object in the process - but making a touch attack against that same object is a standard action that technically ought to require an attack roll just as if you were making a normal melee attack.

I'll still go with automatic touch, unless there's a good situational reason to require a roll (such as an unattended object that's nevertheless hard to pin down, such as a ball rolling around a tipping deck), as that seems most consistent.

marune

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
Those rules are not germane to the OP's question. He's not talking about Smashing an Object.

Even if no clear answers have been given, I can extend my question, what happen if I use Reach Spell with Darkness ? Can I target an object on a creature 30' away?

Infiniti2000

First Post
skeptic said:
Even if no clear answers have been given, I can extend my question, what happen if I use Reach Spell with Darkness ? Can I target an object on a creature 30' away?
There are no rules explicitly covering that situation. You have to choose whether you want to use the smashing an item rules, grabbing an item rules, not allow it, or something else.

Remove ads