• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Tarot / Tarokka Character Generation

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
Really neat idea.
Wonder how this could be adapted to other systems like Fate Core.

It would be a little bit different, because the character mechanics are not at all similar. A past-present-future spread would work pretty well for Fate Core. That would allow you to determine your character's main concept and weakness. When establishing relationships with other players, perhaps they could raw a tarot card to inspire each relationship/encounter. Then perhaps another few-card spread to determine the skill pyramid?

Valmarius

First Post
This is really cool.
I'm going to suggest this method to my next group of players and will definitely give it a go myself for kicks.

I'll use the Tarokka deck, there's a list of meanings in the Curse of Strahd book.

Duan'duliir

Devil of Chance
So I did do that tarokka reading when I said I would, but struggled to make a character. The cards have lead me to quite an interesting character. I shall list the cards I got for each section and then the resultant character:

Class: 2 of Glyphs, Missionary
Race: 3 of Coins, Trader
Background: 1 of Stars, Transmuter
Flavour: Artefact

Array: 1 of Glyphs, Monk, reversed
Highest: 7 of Swords, Hooded One, reversed
Middle: 7 of Glyphs, Charlatan, reversed
Low: 9 of Swords, Torturer, reversed

Personality: 1 of Coins, Swashbuckler, reversed
Ideal: Innocent, reversed
Bond: 9 of Glyphs, Traitor, reversed
Flaw: 4 of Stars, Abjurer

-------------

So based on what the Curse of Strahd, this reading lead me to the following character:

Class: Cleric (Forge) - The Missionary talks of Faith, and the flavour (see below) led me to pick the Forge subclass.
Race: The Trader talks of various things, including the Black Market, which tells me that creatures of the underdark are likely races, and since I've not yet played one, I picked Duergar
Background: The Transmuter talks of discovery. I decided to take it literally and be a hermit.
Flavour: Three artefact means an object to be protected, obtained, or destroyed.

Array: The Monk reversed implies arrogance, and those who are well rounded can be seen to be arrogant,  so the standard array was chosen.
High Ability: The Hooded One is a mysterious figure, and when reversed, speaks to me of Charisma.
Middle Ability: The Charlatan lies, and truth seems to resonate with Intelligence to me.
Low Ability: The Torturer is unkind, and kindness is somewhat similar to Wisdom, so this cleric isn't gonna be very good.

Personality Trait: Swashbucklers live life freely. "I connect everything that happens to me to a grand cosmic plan."
Ideal: The Innocent is unaware of peril. The Greater Good indicates that I know of the peril.
Bond: Loss of faith is what the Traitor symbolises. "I'm still seeking the enlightenment I pursued in my seclusion, and it still eludes me"
Flaw: The Abjurer warns of overlies clues. Risk is similar so "I'd risk to much to uncover a list bit of knowledge"

So here we have Murgol Firehand, priest of Moradin. Though a little daft, his faith is unwavering and his skill in the Forge is unmatched. He left his underground city to find a mythical item of tremendous power to serve his god, though he has had no luck.

If he ever finds this item (a moving castle that acts as somewhat of a superweapon), I'll likely multiclass him to hexblade warlock (after getting his wisdom to a decent score)

- Zynx, from the EN World mobile app

Remove ads