• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Tavern) City of Orussus, The Red Dragon Inn VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurith

First Post
Surprising everyone, Yurith clears his throat behind the group. "I dont mean to interuppt," he said in soft terms "but im afraid im not quite familiar with this card game. Could you be so kind as to explain to me?"

OOC: What i mean is: You roll the dice and all, but what is the modefier based on?

Velmont

First Post
"Well, as I am leaving, take my place, and I will show you, you allow me to help him for his first hand I suppose, misters."

She present her harm to the snake that leave his candle to enter the sleaves of her mistress. Opale stand up, leaving the place for Yurith.

"Here how it goes, the two is the lowest card, and the As id the highest..." she continue to detail the series, how you can bluff and that he must read his opposant to try to find what they have.

OOC: Simply Profession(Gambler), up to the time the proposal on Gambling is made and accepted.

Pbartender

First Post
"On a warm summer’s evenin’ on a caravan bound for nowhere," Jack elucidates to the novice gambler, "I sat up with my Gammer--we were both too tired to sleep. So we took turns just staring out the wagon at the darkness until boredom overtook us, and she began to speak.

"She said, 'Kid, I’ve made a life out of reading people’s faces, and knowing what their cards were by the way they held their eyes. So if you don’t mind my saying, I can see you’re out of aces. For a taste of your whiskey I’ll give you some advice.'

"So, I handed her my bottle and she drank down my last swallow. Then, she bummed some pipeweed and asked me for a light. And the night got deathly quiet, and her face lost all expression. Said, 'If you’re going to play the game, boy, you've got to learn to play it right.'

"'You got to know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away and know when to run. You never count your money when you’re sitting at the table. There’ll be time enough for counting, when the dealing's done.'

"'Now every gambler knows that the secret to surviving is knowing what to throw away and knowing what to keep. Because every hand’s a winner and every hand’s a loser, and the best that you can hope for is to die in your sleep.'"

At the end of the story, Jack lays out another winning hand.

Profession (gambler): 1d20+6 [20,6] = (26)

OOC: Apologies, Mr. Rogers.

Last edited:

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Anton Brandovold, Human Ranger 1

A hat pushes through the door and brushes himself off. When he looks up it is apparently this is a gentleman with a rather large hat. He brushes his hat off and then carefully repositions it on his head and takes a quick glance of the room. A barmaid makes her way to him.

"Oh, welcome! New here? Go over there and introduce yourself to Joe, the owner. He'll take care what you need."

"Oh, thank you very much," Anton says and he makes his way to the bar. "I'm Anton, Anton Brandovold. New in these parts, but I suppose I'm new everywhere. Could I have a bit of wine?" He shakes Joe's hand, picks up his glass, and stands a distance to the card game. "Oh, poker is it? Not really my style, but I'll watch if you don't mind. Is everyone from around here?"

Yurith

First Post
Yurith slowly nods his head and understands slightly. "Can i buff and sense motive without having it trained?"

Kaitlin

First Post
When the man with the hat walked in, his shadow seemed to flicker for a second. After a few minutes, a face suddenly appears by the poker table, seemingly from nowhere. It's the face of an adorable little girl... no, it's the face of a halfling, scrutinizing the game and watching the money pass over the table with a greedy gleam in her eye. Joe notices her presence and sends a barmaid over to her, but she disappears again. The confused barmaid throws her hands up in distress and stomps off to the kitchen. Then the girl- no, the halfling reappears behind the counter, right next to Joe. She hands him the empty mug he was cleaning, stolen clean out of his hands. He laughs aloud. She whispers something in his ear, crouched on the bar. He chuckles again and points to his clients. The little halfling turns about and shouts to the tavern-goers, "Hey! I'm Raena Celeste Everglade! I'll be the first to tell you, never trust cute little girls like me!" She grins and reaches into her pocket, retrieving a gold piece. She gives it to Joe and hops off the bar. She wanders over to the poker game and pulls up a barstool to sit on so she can be at eye level with her table mates. "Hi folks. Howdy do?"

Velmont

First Post
Yurith said:
But then whats the modefier?

OOC: As I said earlier, for now, it is a simple Profession(Gambler) check (Profession is a Wisdom related skill). No synergy bonus applied, and you can't use bluff or sense motive, but it has been suggested in the Gambling proposal.

Pbartender

First Post
Kaitlin said:
She wanders over to the poker game and pulls up a barstool to sit on so she can be at eye level with her table mates. "Hi folks. Howdy do?"

"As well as can be expected, miss, considering the circumstances," Raena is just a little startled to hear the greeting coming from the forgettably inconspicuous halfling sitting right beside her. She's certain he hadn't been there when she first sat down... Funny thing is, he's got a sizable stack of coppers by way of winnings piled in front of him, so he must have been playing for some time.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
"Well! Hello there, miss, I didn't even see you come in!" The small gnome has a meager pile of copper in front of him, probably what's left from his own pocket. He glances at it and then at Jack's. "Hmm... I can't really say that I'm doing so well though. It's all in good fun, I suppose, right?" He looks at his hand, sighs and shows it to Raena. "See? I guess we can't win 'em all." He puts his cards down on the table and watches as the remains of his copper slide across the table to Jack. He glances back at Raena, "Though, one can usually expect to win something, no?" He chuckles and leans back in his tall chair.

1d20+1=8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads