[Tavern Thread] The Dunn Wright Inn

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Lem looks at Grog for a moment and rubs his chin, "So you found a way to make a rat recipe that actually tastes good? What kind of spices...". After he thinks too hard on some possible recipes, Lem finds himself blanching and looks back at the woman, "You know what? Nevermind the recipe. Ma'am, I'm with you on this. Lem's the name and I can't stand rodents myself. Their always trying to get into the good stuff in a kitchen."
 

kinem

Community Supporter
Menik whispers to Lem "Bit of a relief that you're not with Grog on this, but don't you think she's a few cards short of a full deck? If it's a rat infestation she's dealing with, she needs small traps, not swords. Maybe a few cats. Some magic might help, but there are surely cheaper ways to plug up the holes in a wall. I guess I'd better tag along to keep you out of trouble, which she may cause."
 

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[section]



From his seat at the back of the common, Weylyn perks up as soon as the White Cloak enters. Now there, he thinks, is a woman who knows her way around a fight! He listens carefully to the White Cloak's announcement, making a snap decision to take her up. The short, stout man slides from his chair, his dirty blonde dreads swaying as he stands. Just as he's taking his first steps across the room to offer his services, two others hop up and approach the woman. Weylyn pauses for a moment, then shrugs fatalistically and continues weaving his way gracefully through the tables. "I believe I might be help of the caliber you seek, White Cloak. I am Weylyn, and I offer my services." His bearing is confident, almost cocky, as he looks the captain over, but the force of his personality seems to justify his assurance.
[/section]

[SBLOCK=OOC/Actions/Rolls]--[/SBLOCK]

[sblock=StatBlock]
Weylyn Wealbetwyn
Male aasimar bloodrager 10 (Pathfinder RPG Advanced Class Guide 15, Pathfinder RPG Bestiary 7)
NG Medium outsider (native)
Init +3; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +13
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 21, touch 14, flat-footed 17 (+7 armor, +3 Dex, +1 dodge)
hp 132 (10d10+50)
Fort +11, Ref +6, Will +6; +2 bonus vs. spells cast by self or an ally
Defensive Abilities blood sanctuary, improved uncanny dodge; DR 2/—; Resist acid 5, cold 5, electricity 5
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 50 ft.
Melee cold iron dagger +14/+9 (1d4+4/19-20) or
. . muutos +15/+10 (2d6+7/×3) or
. . silver cestus +14/+9 (1d4+4/19-20) or
. . unarmed strike +14/+9 (1d3+4 nonlethal)
Special Attacks blood casting, bloodrage (26 rounds/day), staggering strike
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 10th; concentration +12)
. . 1—corruption resistance (vs evil hr/lvl on self)[APG] (DC 14)
Bloodrager Spells Known (CL 10th; concentration +12)
. . 3rd (1/day)—countless eyes[UM] (DC 15), haste
. . 2nd (2/day)—elemental touch[APG], glitterdust (DC 14), ironskin, see invisibility, stone discus[ACG]
. . 1st (3/day)—blade lash[ACG], blurred movement[ACG], enlarge person (DC 13), magic missile, stone fist[APG], thunderstomp[ACG]
. . Bloodline Aberrant
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 18, Dex 16, Con 18, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 15
Base Atk +10; CMB +14; CMD 28
Feats Bludgeoner[UC], Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Enforcer[APG], Eschew Materials, Extra Rage, Iron Will, Power Attack
Traits armor expert, resilient (will)
Skills Acrobatics +15 (+23 to jump), Climb +10, Handle Animal +6, Intimidate +15, Linguistics +3, Perception +13, Sense Motive +2, Spellcraft +4, Survival +5 (+7 to get along in the wild, endure severe weather, avoid getting lost, spot natural hazards, and predict weather), Swim +10
Languages Aklo, Celestial, Custom Language, Dwarven, Low Landellan
SQ abnormal reach, fast movement, truespeaker
Combat Gear wand of cure light wounds; Other Gear +1 mithral breastplate, muutos[UE], cold iron dagger, silver cestus[APG], belt of physical perfection +2, boots of swift fury[ACG], ring of vengeful blood magic[ACG], basic maps (major landmarks only), bedroll, blanket[APG], candle (2), chalk, everburning torch, flint and steel, hammer, hammock[UE], knife, utility (0.5 lb), masterwork backpack[APG], mess kit[UE], piton (4), sack (2), silk rope (50 ft.), sunrod (3), tindertwig (4), torch (2), trail rations (6), waterskin (2), 893 gp
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Abnormal Reach (Su) Increase reach by 5 ft when raging.
Blood Casting (Su) Cast bloodrager spells while in bloodrage.
Blood Sanctuary +2 (Su) +2 bonus to save vs. spells cast by self or an ally.
Bloodrage (26 rounds/day) (Su) +4 Str, +4 Con, +2 to Will saves, -2 to AC when enraged.
Bludgeoner Inflict nonlethal damage with bludgeoning weapons
Combat Reflexes (4 AoO/round) Can make extra attacks of opportunity/rd, and even when flat-footed.
Damage Reduction (2/-) You have Damage Reduction against all attacks.
Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white only).
Energy Resistance, Acid (5) You have the specified Energy Resistance against Acid attacks.
Energy Resistance, Cold (5) You have the specified Energy Resistance against Cold attacks.
Energy Resistance, Electricity (5) You have the specified Energy Resistance against Electricity attacks.
Enforcer If you deal nonlethal damage with a melee weapon, make a free Intimidate check to demoralize.
Eschew Materials Cast spells without materials, if component cost is 1 gp or less.
Fast Movement +10 (Ex) +10 feet to speed, unless heavily loaded.
Improved Uncanny Dodge (Lv >=14) (Ex) Retain DEX bonus to AC when flat-footed. You cannot be flanked unless the attacker is Level 14+.
Power Attack -3/+6 You can subtract from your attack roll to add to your damage.
Staggering Strike (DC 19) (Su) On critical hit when raging, target is staggered 1 rd (Fort neg).
Truespeaker Learn two languages for each rank you put in Linguistics.
[/sblock]
 

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Lem shrugs his shoulders and whispers back to Menik, "Maybe they are really, really big rats...the kinds that chomp through your kitchen door and eat meat loaves whole."
 

Aura

Visitor
Grog seems like he is about to speak, but Lem's turnabout on the rat subject and general turn in conversation seems disappointing to him. He adds a quick, "Tasty fer me," and leaves it at that. He goes back to wiping down the bar as the adventurers muse about the rat issue.

Commander Jacobson
Picking up the conversation, the White Cloak Commander addresses the small, forming group, "Lem, Weylyn, good to meet you both. That leaves this one," she gestures to Menik, "whom I am hoping can do more than plug holes in a wall. I am looking for the ability to make holes, or burn the wall down entirely." With a knowing grin, she adds in a low voice, "and yes, I'm trouble. Tagging along, then?"
 

TillForPie

Visitor
[section]
Abramac

An ancient and weathered man pushes in through the crowd. He stalks toward the counter and all the way the barbed tip of a spiny tail dances at the hem of his cloak. He searches at the pockets of his doublet before extending a liver-spotted hand to drop a handful of coins on the bar. His eyes follow as the bartender scoops the battered coppers away and puts in their place a tankard. The tiefling draws it against his chest before lifting it to drink, nursing carefully at first, then gulping. He overturns the empty vessel on the bar and turns his back to it, appraising the room and its occupants. His eyes are spheres of shimmering milk.

Landadel. Venza. The Dunn Wright. It's been a while.
[/section]
 

kinem

Community Supporter
"Ah, you have keen hearing, Commander" Menik tells Commander Jacobson. "I am Menik. I'll tag along, sure. I know a thing or two about magic, and I suppose I could destroy a wall if need be. But why? What is this really about?"
 

Aura

Visitor
Tamarie the Songweaver
With a certain lightness of step, a young woman steps into the bar, shaking off a bit of chill from the outside air as she does. Humming to herself, she begins to walk through the center of room, only to alter course and skirt around the small group forming in the center, as the more veteran members discuss some pressing issue. Finally arriving at the bar, she pulls her hood back to reveal the oversize ears that mark her elven heritage, complete with odd, unsightly tufts of hair growing from upper regions. Even as she puts a coin onto the bar and raises her hand to get the attention of the burly barkeep, her ears subtlety shift, picking up sounds from around the room.

Drink purchased, Tamarie sights out various patrons, eyes resting on the aged man not too far from her. She nods in greeting, maintaining the song she was humming when she entered the room.
 

Aura

Visitor
Commander Jacobson
Responding to the wizard, the White Cloak commander merely comments, "Of course you are. In all my jobs, being observant has always paid off. This one is no different." She steps up to him, which serves to highlight the elf's height, then continues, "To answer your question, I was being a bit tongue in cheek about blowing holes in walls. Although the rats we have seen have been upwards of 150 pounds each, the mission is an attack on the boggard nest in the swamp. We will take from them the device they have been using to call rats upon Venza and end his plague of vermin once and for all. I am worried my White Cloaks will be outnumbered on this mission and am looking for a few skilled adventurers to bolster our ranks and provide fire support."

Taking a moment to look around, Jacobson does a quick appraisal of the other tavern dwellers past the three who have presented themselves to her. "Green... moderate... noncombatant... retired..." she begins, eyes shifting from person to person, even entertaining Dunn Wright workers. She then returns her attention to the three before her, "Yes, you will do, and I see few other likely candidates. Each of you will receive a share of the looting, with my troupe constituting the last share. And you will be paid a grade based wage in accordance with your skills. I'm guessing a bit on Weylyn, but the dynamic duo here are already known to me. It is just the first time we have met." She stops speaking, and after a pregnant pause, offers, "I try to keep my ear to the ground when it comes to the community. Anyway, let us be going, time is short and I don't want to lose the initiative. Just ask questions as we walk." With that, the commander turns for the door, cloak fluttering almost dramatically as she leads her new compatriots out of the Inn and to adventure...
[sblock=Rodents of Unusual Size pt 4]OK, that's the overall goal and recruiting. I'll be setting a thread for us in the usual place.
Thread is now up, please post all responses there.[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Dunkel Metzgerei walks into the bar, whistling a tune as Lem the Cook passes by muttering about rat recipes. "Wow... what a peculiar fellow," Dunkel says to himself as he grabs a seat by the bar and orders a large dwarven mead.
 

Aura

Visitor
Tamarie the Songweaver
"Dunkel," calls out the songweaver after a sip of drink, flashing a broad, uneven smile. "Good to see you after the while pirate adventure. I trust you're none the worse for wear? How about that dragon, she seemed about a half heartbeat from trying to eat us, didn't she?"
 

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Dunkel moves to get closer to his friend and lifts a glass in toast, "Aye, that she was. A magnificent beast, too, and all the more so when I could admire her from afar and not up close where the teeth would be more pronounced."
 

Aura

Visitor
Tamarie the Songweaver
Tamarie looks towards the door, then back to Dunkel. "Given time, we'll find out what sort of creatures those were. How they effect future generations. We may come to regard our decision as correct or otherwise. But for now, it is what it is." With that, she begins drawing the symbol of Rogar in the air, the lines lighting as she draws, as if on fire, saying, "Strength of body, strength of heart." Pausing a moment, Tamarie adds, "The followers of Rogar from Illi Esse, the Northern Isle, have a fondness for that expression. I see you, and wonder if it is common to all, or a local custom of the locale. Illi Esse... home."
 

Anastrace

Visitor
Erin Vaneese, Magus Adept

175px-Erin_vaneese_cropped.png

Languishing in a corner, nursing a wicked hangover Erin blearily looks about and starts checking out the conversations in the room. She tries to look a bit inconspicuous, but the girl with a tail and hands ending in sharp claw like nails isn't too hard to spot. Still, she thinks to herself best get to checking out the situation in the tavern. How long was that nap she wonders.
 

Anastrace

Visitor
Leira Olren, Master of Martial Arts

Leira.jpg

Shaking off the buzz from the wine she had been enjoying, Leira stands up and arches her back in a languid stretch before sitting back down. When she did, her cloak caught in her whip blade, which she cleared up with a long sigh. Sitting down, she reflected on her recent adventures, and wondered what was next. Hopefully not passing out drunk, but then again...
 

Fenris

Visitor
Valdemar.jpg

The door swing open as a young man walks in. He takes his helmet off showing medium length blond hair. His face is friendly as he smiles and looks around nodding to those who meet his gaze. By dint of armor, sword and the shield across his back the young man's profession is obvious. Still he was no dour warrior, and seemed genuinely cheerful.

Walking up to the bar he waits until Marla is free "Marla right? Yes I was told the beautiful barmaid here was named Marla, and who else could that be. Sorry, but that was how you were described." he offhandedly apologizes. "I also heard this was the place to not only get some grub to fill the belly but to find a job. By the way Valdemar" he says holding out his hand to Marla.

Edit: Sorry for the big pic, I will try to get a smaller one
 

Aura

Visitor
Marla the Barmaid
Looking up at the tall young man, Marla cannot help but chuckle politely for a moment. Throwing her cleaning rag over her shoulder, she replies, "Is that what they say about me? I hope the things I've worked hard to cultivate are also mentioned in the same breath, but who am I kidding? Boys. Anyway, Valdemar, welcome to the Dunn Wright Inn."

Taking Valdemar's hand and giving it a cordial shake, the barmaid continues, "Anyway, the adventuring crowd started to gravitate here some years back. Once that happened, it became known as the place to hire and get hired, and the cycle perpetuated itself. So, since you're looking for a job, if you want to freelance, this is the right place. Plus we have food cooked by a chef from one of the more distant of the baronies. He's a bit eccentric, but a good man and excellent cook."

In the midst of the conversation, Marla frets a bit about her hair, running her fingers through it as she speaks. The way she continues without interruption makes it seem very practiced and habitual. Continuing, Marla points to the large half orc halfway down the bar, "And the man behind the bar is Grog. He pours the drinks and keeps the peace."

With that, Grog smiles, baring his pronounced incisors and gives the newcomer a short salute. It has a feeling of two thirds friendly and one third menacing.
 

Fenris

Visitor
"Ah strong drink from a man with a strong name, named after a strong drink" laughs Valdemar. "Well thank you for the run down. And I will do my best to further your purported reputation" he says with a wink to Marla. "Well then I place food orders with you? Well bring me what ever you feel is your best dish today. Don't worry about it being too exotic, I have traveled far and wide as has my tongue. I will grab that table over there and after I have eaten I will take a look at the board. Thank you Marla." with a nod to the barmaid Valdemar turns and heads to an open table. He drops the shield onto the back, and drops his pack to the floor, before sitting down.
 

FrancisJohn

Visitor
[section]A halfling most curious

The majestic oaken doors of the tavern swing open, and the indoor light reveals a halfling with the bushiest of hair standing in the entrance. He staggers into the great room, quite obviously already under the influence of some spirit or the other. He draws himself up to the bar, and belligerently calls to Grog. "More of your best poison.... on the double! You know what I mean!"

[/section]
 
Following Valdemar with a small bit of Distance, Sylvain the Willow slips in right after Valdemar. He chose this approach to the Inn to learn what he might when entering. Hearing Valdemar speak to Mara he is content. All is friendly. Hovering a bit next to the door to take in the scene, he then steps forward and greets Marla. "May I introduce myself? Sylvain, lean as a Willow, at your service. Would you be so kind to appoint a dedicated mug of ale, dedicated to the patron of all merrymakers, holy st.ale to me? That would bring me into your debt as well as your service and i shall endeavour to relieve myself of both pledges within the hour. Maybe some music later on?" Being somewhat content with the whip of his eyelashes and the little speech Sylvain starts to eye Marla for a response and the Inn for a place to sit.
Sylvain.jpg
 

Advertisement

Top