[Techies!] Tech Help for NWN

Welverin

First Post
UD said:
NWN has a publisher, its Interplay. I rekon it will be out Autum time.

Actually it's Infogrames now and the current plan is for a summer release.

Trutle if you're set on a laptop for what ever reseason look for one with a Gefroce2go or the portable Radeon for the grahics card. Those are the only two taht would give you good performance until the Geforce4go is released, which I know I read about but I'm not sure where.

You really shouldn't get a laptop for gaming unless you really need one instead of a desktop pc.

Last edited:

Agamon

Adventurer
Anyone that's paying any sort of attention realizes that the game is nearing completion. It's no longer if it'll come out, or even if it's sooner or later. By the looks of things, I expect between May and July, with August/September being the extreme limit. It probably would have been almost ready had things with Interplay not gone sour.

itsmactimenow

First Post
Listen to Welverin and Avatar of the North. They know what they are about.

Your principle choice is desktop/tower or laptop. If you go for the latter make sure it has a GF2go or later GF3/4 based variant.

If you go for the former do *not* buy a GF4 yet. They may be like AMD's naming scheme. I speak of the old Althlon naming convention where an Athlon 1.4 GHz would beat a P4 1.7Ghz flat. So be careful with the GF4. I haven't had a good look at it yet. What i do know is that in a price/effectiveness ratio nothing beats the GF3. The new ATI card comes close i think but still nothing beats the GF3 Pro. Whoever said their GF3 is "old" was full of crap. GF3's still going strong. Heck my 800 MHz Duron with a GF2-MX (original, not MX-200 or 400) is still alive and kicking!

So for a tower/desktop:

- 256+ MB DDR 2100
- Althlon XP 1800+ CPU
- GF3 Pro

Or for a laptop you need to make sure your getting a GeForce2Go or better. They are fractionally slower than a full blown GF2-MX (i think?) in a desktop.

Hope that helps! Post back if you've got more queries. I'll be happy to answer them.

Welverin

First Post
itsmactimenow said:
So for a tower/desktop:

- 256+ MB DDR 2100
- Althlon XP 1800+ CPU
- GF3 Pro

Since no one mentioned it yet Turtle you can get a good desktop for what you were planning to spend on a laptop. So I shall reiterate unlees you must have a laptop instead of a desktop, get a desktop. It may not be top of the line, but it should be more than enough to run NWN.

Also to anyone thinking of getting a Geforce 4, DO NOT get a Geforce 4 MX. The MX is not an actual GF4 (God only knows why they named it that), it's actually the next evolution of the Geforce 2 line. So to sum up GF4 Ti=good, GF4MX=cheap. Once again Gamespot has an article I'll point you to.

While getting the url for the GF4 article I found this one on cheap PC's.
1.3GHz On A Budget. Then there's How to Build a PC. I haven't read the last two yet however.

Let us know if you're interested in any of this.

Remove ads