• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[PCat video card debacle!] Help improving graphics for new PC - updated.

IronWolf

blank
This is one of the reasons I like to build my own PCs. I don't buy many new PCs (just replaced a Celeron 400 about 6 months ago.... :) ). This time around I was going to just buy something pre-built, but as I got into getting back up to speed with what the good buys were it was just easier to order the parts I wanted and put it together. I was able to get decent, quality parts all-around and no proprietary cases or the like to deal with should I need to upgrade or replace something in the future.

For people that don't want to build themselves, but have no problems doing their own upgrades or tinkering a little, there are several people that will more or less build to order allowing one to get a good PC that will be easier to do an upgrade here or there in the future. I haven't used them (Der Kluge) mentioned them once, but CyberPower looked interesting. There are many others out there with similar offerings.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I used Cyberpower for my 3rd to last PC (so like 10 years ago). Okay, but went kaput after about 5 years (after I had given it to my father). Probably the mobo/CPU combo, not a great one (AMD K7)

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Mycanid said:
Hey there folks - this Dell model IS in fact a proprietary Dell build, and while a good system spcs wise if you want to upgrade in is a pain in the [[AHEM!]] ... if you know what I mean. Poor PC is not alone in his woes. ;)

Oh and by the way PC - one website I came across said that the power supply(!?!) in the case was also proprietary ... so be very careful about upgrading THAT should you ever decide too!

Heh, I guess they promoted the stoner from the old Dell commercials (The "Dude, you're getting a Dell" guy) to the computer design department.

Mycanid

First Post
That looks good PC. The 6800 is a good card. Do you know of any gaming or work related things (software technology related stuff) that might require the nVidia 7000 series card, though? There are differences in the rendering engines (or so I am told) between the two series ... i.e. 6000 and 7000 series. If no problem, why not? Go for it!

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Just how much room do you have? I have a 6600 GT and the fan/heat sink does extend somewhat. I would imagine the 6800 would be just as much. (Actually, doesn't your other computer have a 6800 in it? Try measuring that and see if it will fit)

Remove ads