D&D 5E Telepathic Feat - is target aware of who is communicating?

DurrandDurr

Villager
I have a player with Telepathic and Actor feats and wants to impersonate people while speaking in their minds. The spell Telepathy says the target is aware of who is contacting them (and is two-way communication), but the Feat does not. Telepathy spell says that one can share words and sounds. Detect Thoughts also says the target becomes aware if they probe deeper. IF the target is aware of who is communicating this is irrelevant.

My feeling is that the player would need to do use the Actor rules:
"A successful Wisdom (Insight) check contested by your Charisma (Deception) check allows a listener to determine that the effect is faked."

Is this fair? Should there be advantage/disadvantage?

the Jester

Legend
I don't have a strong opinion on this, but at a glance, I don't see any reason it shouldn't work. I'm leaving the spell out of my analysis completely; the feat doesn't even reference it and pretty clearly states what it does. It also only allows you to speak, not to make other sounds, and the speech is in a language- so it's pretty limited and different from many other forms of telepathy in the game.

DurrandDurr

Villager
I don't have a strong opinion on this, but at a glance, I don't see any reason it shouldn't work. I'm leaving the spell out of my analysis completely; the feat doesn't even reference it and pretty clearly states what it does. It also only allows you to speak, not to make other sounds, and the speech is in a language- so it's pretty limited and different from many other forms of telepathy in the game.
Good point. I see now it specifies "speak" and "telepathic utterances". It's always lawyer details in D&D. Thanks!

Remove ads