D&D General Tell Me About Empire of the Ghouls

Reynard

Legend
Have you played it? How did it go? Is it fun to run? is it fun to play? What issues does it have? Can you remove it from Midgard/Zobek?

Divine2021

Adventurer
Me and my group had a blast playing it, I highly recommend. We had newbies and folks who have been playing rpgs for over 30 years. It is a well written campaign that is well integrated with Kobold’s Midgard world, both which are huge pluses for me. The writer has put together some resources for new campaigns if I recall correctly on his website.

I haven't played it, but I started reading through it a while back. I stopped, because there's a chance I might play it and i didn't want to spoil myself, but the two things I've heard about it several times are 1) it can be very lethal if run as written, so be prepared; and 2) it wouldn't suit PCs who are uncomfortable with allying with bad guys at times. Bit like the old Savage Tide AP in that regards. Traditional rigidly LG paladins beware...

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
Yep. One character in my game died in the surprise round. Didn't even get an action. I've added to the horror by having ghouls choose to eat fallen foes rather than continue fighting. So if one character goes down, nearby ghouls break off from whatever they are doing and start feasting. Not the intelligent ones though.

Remove ads