D&D 1E Tell me about your AD&D 1E house rules

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
Inspired by a similar thread asking about 2E house rules—and in dire need of distracting, happy thoughts today—I figured I might take a moment to post about the 1E game that I have the good fortune to be able to start tomorrow. I'll be running a small group through module T1, with the roster of players and characters consisting of of my wife (paladin—she rolled two 17s and two 16s before my very eyes!), my brother (gnome assassin), my boss (halfling thief), and my neighbor (half-elf cleric/mage, in service to Wee Jas). It's gonna be a time!

Anyhow: it's been more than five years since I've played any Advanced D&D (I'm usually dedicated to the original/basic game), and it's been a lot of fun putting together a list of tweaks for how I want to run 1E at my table! Here we go —

• • •

My 1e House Rules

• • •

So that's my take on 1st Edition. Tomorrow evening, we'll see what happens when Hommlet and the Moathouse get a load of this fresh party of 1st level heroes (being run by players who, I should stress, are generally more familiar with Critical Role than with 1E… hoo-boy).

Grognards of EN World (I know you're out there!), what are your 1st Edition house rules? How do you mod "Gary's game"?

Last edited:

pming

Legend
Hiya!

See? THIS! THIS is why I prefer "old skool" mentality/mindset to the newer "want something new...go buy a book" and 'stick to RAW/official'. :)

I would belly up to your table any day of the week! Your campaign rules/adds sound like a lot of fun and have some nice flavour already. I can only imagine the interesting Campaign World stuff you have going on!

My 1e house rules are 'simple' overall. However, for the biggest changes/additions, I'd have to turn to my home brewed world of Eisla. If I was to copy/paste...well...that would be HUGE for a post (re: it's about 29 pages worth in PDF form).

Suffice it to say, after attempting some "broad strokes" to post here... I gave up. Too much stuff! :(

Most glaring: it is EXTREMELY low powered. Highest level NPC in the 'world' (area about 1600km x 1600km; 1k x 1k miles) is 7th level! Almost nobody has a "Class". PC's start with 'bonus' HP's equal to their Secondary Skill category (either Sedentary, Average, or Labourer). If you are 1st level, you are better than 99% of the population. If you get to 3rd or 4th? Pffft! Fugettaboudit! You are top of the food chain, so to speak.

Magic Items are either very 'weak' (Potion of Healing, Amulet that can cast Light once a day, etc), or very 'powerful' (Sword of Sharpness, Tome of Persuasion, Chainmail +3, etc). And yes, there is an in-game campaign setting reason.

Monsters are rare, so to say. They keep to the dark ruins and deep dungeons and caves of the world. They avoid sunlight if at all possible. So much so that the majority of people in the world don't believe any of the "really big, nasty ones!" exist anymore (re: ogres, giants, manticore, dragons, etc). Orcs, goblins, kobolds, etc... "Yeah, I suppose SOME might still be around. But they stay in their caves and dungeons...like respectable monster should! Besides, even IF an Ogre actually existed still...the Gods would protect us, just like they did Pre-Cataclysm. So don't worry so much!". ;)

Proficiencies are rolled using 3d6, with modifier dice for Easy (-1d4 to your roll), or Hard (+1d4). There are Critical Success and Critical Failure for Proficiency checks too (extra bad/dangerous result, or the opposite).

Quality Level is an Equipment thing. I call it the "CPAGMEL" system. I created it back around 2000, 2001 for my homebrew game system (not based on 1e, btw). It stands for "Crap/Poor/Average/Good/Masterwork/Exquisite/Legendary". These QL's correspond to penalties or bonuses. It allows me to easily emulate "environmental effects on equipment". For example, if PC's are wandering around a saltwater bog for a day or two, and don't have the skill, knowledge, background or tools to maintain stuff, I might have everyone reduce their "boots/shoes" by 1 QL. It gives the Players a better sense of 'reality' for their PC's...and gives actual mechanical reasons to go shopping for some new boots after getting back to town! :)

Oh, MU's are special. They have "The Taint", which is a magical mutational thing imprinted on their very soul! Basically, a MU is always recognized as an "Arcanist" (re: MU/Illusionist) by any living thing. Arcanists also have a visible mutation that they can not 'hide' for more than a few seconds, if that. It can be 'simple', like having pure white everything...skin, eyes, hair, and even blood! Or it can be more pronounced...just think 'extreme looking' (like a Tiefling/Alu-Demon, Dragonborn/Lizardman, or Azer, for example). Each Arcanist also has a "magical tell". Something in their spells (all fof them) that make them recognizable for who they are; example, a MU in the campaign is 3rd level right now iirc...pretty powerful indeed!...and he has 'chrom skin and solid blue eyes'. All his spells have the "theme" of mercury; sloshy sounds, chrome look, metallic smell, etc. His Magic Missile is a large barage of chrome needles with a slight blue glow that trail dissipating droplets of 'mercury'. Needless to say, people are pretty freaked out around Arcanists, so there are social advantages and disadvantages. Re: An Arcanist could walk around a bar, grab a bottle of whisky, and walk out....and nobody would do a dang thing about it.

Clerics have "The Aura". Much the same, but is specific to their deity and personality. They can't hide either; people will just recognize them as a "true" holy man/woman! One who is capable of performing miracles! (re: casting spells or turning undead...not that people think undead actually exist, but you get the point). The higher the level of Cleric, the more of his/her deities "traits" they start to show/develop (example: a Cleric of Thor might grow the most epic of beards and flowing locks...and project a feeling of being in a thunderstorm, perhaps even having little 'trickles' of electricity visible in his eyes when angered, etc).

There's a LOT more, but just no space here. :(
Twenty Nine Pages, remember? And that's not even the booklet on the world stuff!

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
From what I can recall of the 80s:

• No level limits to non-humans.
  • We never played beyond level 12.
  • Death at -10.
  • On a 1 drop your sword.
  • On a 20 maximum damage.
  • Maximum HPs at level 1.
  • Start at level 2-3 (equivalent level according to each XP table).
  • 4d6 drop lowest, place were you want.

ccs

41st lv DM
One of the main ones we settled on was how to qualify for classes (or races) with min. Score requirements.
Somewhere along the line we'd already settled on the 4d6Keep3 method still in use today.

This was amended to:
If you want to play a class with min score requirements, 1st place any rolls that satisfy a score in that score. Highest roll goes to the highest requirement it could satisfy. Repeat.
Then, if there are any remaing required scores, fill them the same way, coming as close as possible.
Adjust for race/gender/age.
If any scores are still below requirements, adjust them up to the minimums.

At some point we also allowed this if you really really wanted to play a certain race.
The catch was that you could only choose class OR race

We played almost raw. What we had changed was level limitations
Single class level limitation was raised to 5.
Additionnal level requirement stats were downed by three for every single stats (with a minimum of 1 more than the base requirement for a "power" class).

Once max level in a class is reached, you need 2 times as much experience to continue to rise in levels + 1 per additional class that you may had. So an elf fighter/ magic-user/ thief would need 4 times the normal amount of exp to rise beyond his max level in fighter and mu. A fighter/magic-user would need 3 times the normal exp to rise beyond his max level.

All sexist limitations were removed but not racial ones.

4d6 keep three highest 6 times. No non sense about comeliness. All stats are rolled in order. So getting a "power" class such as paladin was rare, very rare. The most common power class were druids, illusionists and rangers.

Maximum HP at fisrt level. After that...

Religion was extremely important. No heaten healing. If you do not follow the god or the pantheon of the cleric no magical healing for you save to save your life. If your life is not in danger, no healing. A cleric not attempting to convert people to his religion might get into trouble. And the god can always refuse to give a specific spell to a cleric. Sometimes, negociations with your god or his representative were in order, especially if your requested spells were dubious ethos wise. Only 1st and 2nd level spells were barred from this rule. It also meant that at low level, druids were fairly popular as they did not follow a god and would heal any one in need... (but actually getting a druid was not necessarily easy)

Classes that required a fight at certain level were actually forced to seek the current owner of the title and fight. Druids did not have dozens of order of druids but only one world wide. Only three order of monk existed. One for good, one for neutral and one for evil. The Grand Father of assassin was especially hard to reach and you should not expect a fair fight.

Action declarations were made before the initiative. Attacking with a bow, a melee weapon and casting a spell were important declarations. A bow fighter could get screwed if an opponent reached him in melee. Same thing for casting spells.

Aging was especially harsh. Getting magically age at the point where you would get bonus to intel or wisdom would get you nowhere. Only natural aging would allow you to claim the bonuses. So spell like haste were not used that often and only on dire circumstances. The slow spell was much more popular. Elves were dreaded as they did not fear to use the haste spells as bonuses and penalties were so far away. But even them showed restraint in using the spell as too much aging was not without risks.
Otherwise, we played mostly raw.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
We didn't have many house-rules for 1E (or our 1E/2E-hybrid that I played for about 20 years if different groups):
  • A 20 is only a critical if you would hit on a 16 or lower. A 1 is only a fumble if you need a roll of 6 or higher.
  • Fighters gain a +1 bonus to hit above all other bonuses.
  • Higher attack rates for all classes: Thief at 10th, Cleric 11th, and Wizard at 16th get 3/2.
  • Any class (except Cavalier/Paladin, who have weapons of choice) can specialize (+1/+1, not +1/+2) in a weapon, but only fighters and rangers may double-specialize. Double-specialization granted two more points of bonuses, you could put them where you wanted, so you had the options of: +2/+2, +3/+1, or +1/+3.
  • If you move, you only get one attack, regardless of your attack rate.
EDIT: We didn't bother with racial limits on classes, either. But we did use limits on STR for gender.

Once 2E came out, we adopted the Initiative and Proficiencies systems, but kept much of 1E intact.

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Our entire system is made up of 40+ years of 1e-based house rules (this development was well underway before I ever started playing, never mind DMing). There's very little original 1e left in it, though the framework is still recognizable.

For the version I'm currently using, player-side basics (a rough equivalent of a spell-less PH) can be found here:

There's other pages on the same site that cover spells (all of 'em, re-written and tweaked, with some old ones dropped and new ones added) and pantheons.

DM-side stuff is largely not online yet; the main changes are:
--- most tables and charts have been smoothed out thus for example combat proficiency gradates by level or HD rather than in big jumps every four levels, as do saving throws
--- we've added tables for fumbles, wild magic effects, and magic-item destruction effects; also for childbirth (which hopefully doesn't involve any of those other three tables!)
--- many monsters - most notably giants and dragons - have been considerably beefed up, and others significantly changed from their MM versions
--- available magic items have been vastly expanded in type - all weapons and armour, for example, come in +0 to +5 versions (with greatly decreasing odds as the + gets bigger) with a large table of possible special effects on top of this, countered by a big expansion in possible curse types and effects
--- magic-like herbs have been added; there's three pages of tables outlining what they are and the odds of finding each in different terrain types
--- homebrew rules for a) mass-army and b) naval combats; though made up ages ago these have yet to be run out for any real test, so it's uncertain if they'll ever amount to anything
--- as of this month, a new major change is coming: the saving throw categories will be split out and tweaked. Instead of death, poison and paralysis all lumped together, for example, they'll be split out to allow for more variance. Ditto for petrify and polymorph. Work is in progress.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Most of the houserules I used for 1E were things that made their way into my 2E game and 95% of it was stuff I cribbed from Dragon Magazine articles and tweaked. That meant mostly things like NPC classes allowed as PCs (the Duelist, the Archer, etc. . ), a handful of magic-user spells accessible to clerics as one-level higher if thematically appropriate (for example a Cleric of Zeus could cast Lightning Bolt as a 4th level spell), we got rid of level limits (but that never mattered - as we never got that high) and a bunch of other stuff. I only played 1E for about 5 years before adopting 2E in 1989.

Voadam

Legend
Start with a B/X background for rules so a lot of stuff came straight from there like initiative and the basics of combat. My AD&D was a lot like Moldvay Basic with AD&D add ons for stats, classes, races, and equipment.

I used Basic modules and monsters and magic items in my 1e games without hesitation.

I ignored the charisma and reaction rules and just ran interactions as seemed natural without dice.

At points I was using critical hits and fumbles out of a Best of Dragon article. I also did the simpler a 1 is drop your weapon, a 20 is double damage.

Fairly similar to the later 2e house rules I had.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Start with a B/X background for rules so a lot of stuff came straight from there like initiative and the basics of combat. My AD&D was a lot like Moldvay Basic with AD&D add ons for stats, classes, races, and equipment.

I used Basic modules and monsters and magic items in my 1e games without hesitation.

I ignored the charisma and reaction rules and just ran interactions as seemed natural without dice.

At points I was using critical hits and fumbles out of a Best of Dragon article. I also did the simpler a 1 is drop your weapon, a 20 is double damage.

This is very similar to my experience. I used B/X and BECMI stuff for AD&D (esp. adventures) all the time. I also ignored reactions and I used critical hit and fumble charts based on that "Good Hits Bad Misses" article all the way through 3.5E and 5E is the first time I am not using it since I discovered it in like 1987.

Last edited:

Remove ads