D&D General Tell Me About Your Favorite Use of a Dragon In D&D

Stormonu

Legend
The most challenging encounter I remember involving a dragon was back in 3E. Party was clearing a dungeon, and found out that there was a lower level the inhabitants avoided (and gave tribute to) that contained an (ancient) green dragon. I think the party was around 12th, with 8 members. One of the “old hands” players eyes lit up with greed and convinced the party to go after the dragon. I gave them warning, I hadn’t built that section, and through the dungeon’s inhabitants tried to make it clear it was a bad idea. They were undeterred, but agreed to return to town to complete their current mission, giving me time to stat up the dragon (using the Draconomicon).

They returned next session after a shopping trip for supplies, with a battle plan. Primarily, they planned to used a Wind Wall to block the dragon’s breath, then take it out in melee. The one hitch they weren’t expecting was a river ran through the large cavern where the dragon’s lair was. No sign in the cavern of the dragon itself, or its treasure. Via some scouting and divination, they were able to determine where the dragon was - in the river (atop its hoard in an underwater cave).

The party lured the dragon out, with actions at the ready. They were expecting its first action was to breathe. Instead, it charged from the water - cue Wind Wall - through the spell and overran the entire party. Both Wizard and Sorcerer was crushed to death, the barbarian was knocked prone and stunned, the rogue barely got out of the way of the overrun to get snapped up in the dragon’s jaws and the cleric got batted across the room by a tail sweep. Rest of the party was battered by the overrun attack. It went downhill from there - swallowed rogue, barbarian pinned by dragon’s wings and then everyone stuck in a cloudkill. Animated breath and the dragon dragged the pinned and choking barbarian underwater. Successive rounds of PCs wing chased by the breath weapon as the dragon used the barbarian corpse as a baseball to knock down other PCs.

The cleric, who had been desperately trying to get back to the fight turned (after having to take time to get back up from 5 hp) turned tail and ran away after the 5th PC dropped. He was the only one who escaped. A week later, the green dragon showed up at the inn where the cleric was recuperating and trying to recruit a new group. It demanded all of the cleric’s treasure and two of his most powerful magic items as well as a pact with the nearby church the priest oversaw, demanding a 15% tithe. He gave it all up, and he and the new party went and adventured the next kingdom over.

R_J_K75

Legend
I've never been good as a GM with dragons. My players have always made easy work of them. I blame myself for being a little gun shy about party wiping and not knowing dragon tactics well.
The 2E FR Draconimicon is a good read, gives more detail and perspective on dragon mindset on things like personality, tactics, enemies, etc. Helped me out. I read parts of the 3E counterpart, but never read (browsed) the 4E draconic books; lost interest by then as a lot of it seemed redundant but I can't say for sure.

The 1E FR Grey Box pg 15-16 of the DMs Sourcebook of the Realms gives specifics on enhancing dragons abilities, and attacks, one that stuck out to me was their breath weapon damage mods. To my knowledge this is the only place these are mentioned.

Attachments

• Breath Weapon Damage.jpg
    Breath Weapon Damage.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 18

R_J_K75

Legend
I use dragons rarely but the most epic time I remember was when a white dragon attacked Waterdeep looking for her wyrmlings that someone kidnapped. The PCs came out of a tavern to investigate the commotion and found the Open Lord Piergeiron Palidinson fighting it. The PCs were cowards and fled resulting in the Open Lords death.

The most recent dragon encounter in my 5e game was four ninth level characters utterly massacring two slightly boosted* young red dragons. It was a staggered fight so that the second dragon would arrive to help its sibling mid fight, though at that point the characters had actually already butchered the first one and then swiftly dispatched the second. I had assumed it would be an epic and though fight against fearsome foes, but it felt more like the characters clubbing baby seals. Oh well, live and learn. 🤷 The mother of these poor dragon siblings is looking for the characters now.

There is also an adult green dragon** that has been terrorising the area the campaign started at since the beginning, and now as the characters have just returned there as accomplished dragon killers the locals will surely implore them to deal with this nuisance as well.

* (A bit more HP and one legendary resistance and action.)
** (Also slightly boosted, and considering what happened to the red babies, the poor sod will need it!)

Reynard

Legend
The most recent dragon encounter in my 5e game was four ninth level characters utterly massacring two slightly boosted* young red dragons. It was a staggered fight so that the second dragon would arrive to help its sibling mid fight, though at that point the characters had actually already butchered the first one and then swiftly dispatched the second. I had assumed it would be an epic and though fight against fearsome foes, but it felt more like the characters clubbing baby seals. Oh well, live and learn. 🤷 The mother of these poor dragon siblings is looking for the characters now.

There is also an adult green dragon** that has been terrorising the area the campaign started at since the beginning, and now as the characters have just returned there as accomplished dragon killers the locals will surely implore them to deal with this nuisance as well.

* (A bit more HP and one legendary resistance and action.)
** (Also slightly boosted, and considering what happened to the red babies, the poor sod will need it!)
Dragons are criminally badly designed in 5E. Fizban's goes a little way to fix that, buy you should definitely consider employing A5E dragons (with some Fizban's stuff).

LesserThan

Explorer
Use as a player, garlic, potatoes, carrots, chives. "If it has stats, we can eat it", was our motto. We removed normal animals so the only fauna was monsters.

Let me warn you, fairy jerky chews like a Bridgestone tire and has less flavor. :(

Stormonu

Legend
Dragons are criminally badly designed in 5E. Fizban's goes a little way to fix that, buy you should definitely consider employing A5E dragons (with some Fizban's stuff).
Sadly, I have to agree. I find 5E dragon stats extremely uninspiring and cookie-cutter bland. Their lack of spellcasting options/variants is utterly criminal. I haven't delved into the Fizban options, but at a glance the A5E versions do seem vastly superior. I'd also recommend @dave2008 versions.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
The monster manual starts the Dragons section off with "VARIANT: DRAGONS AS INNATE SPELLCASTERS"
I love to give dragons a list of spells they can cast, as well as give them actions and abilities they can use that are inspired from spells.

Red dragons just get an “Ashadalon’s Stride” style feature at will. White Dragon’s ice breath causes those that fail the save to be trapped in ice and have to use an action to escape like “Rime’s Binding Ice”. Bronze dragons get a “Thunder Step” bonus action feature to zip around the battle field. Gray Dragons get a teleporting multi-attack action inspired by “Steel-Wind Strike”. So on and so forth.

Remove ads