D&D 2E Tell Me the Story Behind the AD&D 2e Fiend Folio Monstrous Compendium Appendix

Ulrick

First Post
Does anybody know the reason why TSR used the RPGA Network to help create this version of the Fiend Folio? Cheap/free labor?

Did TSR hope to make a quick buck by slapping "Fiend Folio" on a bunch of leftover monsters?

It just seems odd that the Kamadan featured on the front cover isn't even in there. (It should be between "Iron Cobra" and "Kharga"--but since these are on the front and back of the same sheet of paper, I know I'm not missing the Kamadan entry). 

I know this is a long shot. But after finishing the latest "Finding the Gems" entry on the 2e Fiend Folio, a lot of questions came to mind.

Was the 2e Fiend Folio, given that it was second-to-last in the Monstrous Compendium series, was it more of an afterthought?

Any insight would be much appreciated.

delericho

Legend
I believe that harks back to the original (1st Ed) "Fiend Folio", which was itself largely a product of external designers - much of the material came from the "Fiend Factory" column in "White Dwarf" magazine.

I might be wrong, of course. :)

Remove ads