D&D 5E Terrain WIP for upcoming final boss fight

I hope this is the right forum for this, I couldn't find a terrain sub-forum.

The last session of my 5e campaign is coming up in 3 weeks, and I think I have all of the narrative bits sorted, but have been working on a piece of special terrain for the final boss battle -- a ruined cathedral.

I based the terrain on the floorpan of an actual cathedral. I then made a grid in Photoshop, printed the floroplan, and used that as my scale.

I wanted the floor to be to scale without a grid, so I hand-cut each floor tile and glued them into place.

I am currently working on the walls and then it will be ready for the base coat of paint.

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
That is super awesome. I wish I had time to create things like this. I usually end up using an old map from another module from 4e or such. Just be careful taking things too literal and do not be afraid to add fantastic elements to make it better for the player's fun factor. If you think you need a secret door someplace and need to shift a wall over 10ft but think it will look funny, do it and players will not notice. If you want a floating altar that circles the room and shoots laser beams, do it and cover it with evil runes that obey the BBEG. Have fun with it yourself and players will appreciate.

I second what Imaculata said. That looks great, and it is pretty cool. Hope the final fight plays out well and is entertaining for you and your group as well. And more pics of course, ha ha.

Thanks! I completed the lines of sight/fields of fire this afternoon; I will be undercoating it in a short while. I took a personal day from work today to get the walls completed and the undercoat done; not sure what that says about me lol.

A short bit of backstory for the final session:

This started out as a blind group that I advertised for as a local craft beer/kitchen in the East Village wanted to host a D&D night. I said I would be happy to run it.

A year and a half later, we are now completing the campaign which started out as Lost Mine of Phandelver and quickly morphed into something else entirely. The party now finds themselves in an extra/cross dimensional space. An extraplanar entity has found the Spell Forge and has been siphoning its power, creating all sorts of havoc in the Material Plane.

The party, aided by a couple of allied NPCs, will now square off against the Big Bad; they will be able to harness the power of the Spell Forge, which will give them a temporary boost in levels (I have a mechanic worked out for it), but at the expense of draining it of its remaining power.

There are a couple of other goodies I have in store pertaining to battle mechanics, the terrain itself, etc, but I don't want to spoil it just yet as one of my players may see this thread. :)

Remove ads