Terry Pratchett: Early onset Alzheimer's

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Sucks. I hope he finds "very high-end experts in brain chemistry" to make things better,

:(

But you know, there's a lot to be said about a man who can end a thing like that with:

PS I would just like to draw attention to everyone reading the above that this should
be interpreted as 'I am not dead'. I will, of course, be dead at some future point, as
will everybody else. For me, this maybe further off than you think - it's too soon to tell.
I know it's a very human thing to say "Is there anything I can do", but in this case I
would only entertain offers from very high-end experts in brain chemistry.

Rackhir

Explorer
Hmm. I was just reading "Making Money" and remember being struck by how Vetinari just rang false. He didn't seem to be acting "right" or at least being portrayed the way he had been in previous books.

But he'll be getting my best wishes. He is a treasure.

sniffles

First Post
It's so sad how things like this tend to happen to brilliant, charming people. I'm really glad I had the opportunity to meet and chat with Mr. Pratchett once. I hope medical science does well for him in fending off the effects of this awful disease.

And I admire his attitude.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Mark said:
Sucks. I hope he finds "very high-end experts in brain chemistry" to make things better,
That's sad, especially for a person as cerebral as a writer (not that's better for other people). But he's ending that note with a positive comment, and somebody who can call an early onset Alzheimer "An Embuggerance" has indeed a very positive attitude. It tells a lot about a person, if he can still keep his usual humour.

Best wishes for him, LT.

PhantomNarrator

First Post
Very sad

This has indeed been a terrible year for authors. First Robert Anton Wilson, then Kurt Vonnegut, now this terrible news about Terry Pratchett.

As if this wasn't enough, it seems a recurrent and hard-to-treat infection got into the bone behind one of Steven Brust's eyes. He doesn't have health insurance, and the last round of treatment wiped him out financially and now it appears he may lose his house too.

After considerable arm twisting, there's now a fund that's accepting contributions to help treat his medical condition, which can be life threatening: http://dreamcafe.com/donate.html

If you can't donate, why not consider buying his next hardback?

Edit: I started a new thread for this, since it seemed to deserve one. Apologies for the double post.

Last edited:

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
I wonder if there will be some kind of wrap up to his stories of Discworld. Failing that, I wonder if they will be farmed out to some other writer, like the OZ books were after Baum died.

I have trouble thinking of anyone else handling them as well as T.P.

Last edited:

The Grumpy Celt said:
I wonder if there will be some kind of wrap up to his stories of Discworld. Filing that, I wonder if they will be farmed out to some other writer, like the OZ books were after Baum died.

I have trouble thinking of anyone else handling them as well as T.P.
Maybe Douglas Adams?

Oh wait...

:(

Anyway, I wish Terry Pratchett the best. It's going to be a tough time for him and his wife, but I think he has the kind of personality that will fight and endure for some time. And the egoistic me wants him to fight by continuing to write good and entertaining books.

Remove ads