D&D General Testing some riddles

Quickleaf

Legend
Have a few riddles I'd like to pass your way and see if they're hitting that sweet spot between "too obvious" and "too hard." Context is there's a massive viper tree (an abyssal tree with snakes for branches) posing these riddles to the PCs. :geek: Many thanks!

1st Riddle
I may come from an insect or from a fish, but you’ll not find me in a dish.
I may come with a sting or bite, and I may come at day or night.
But those who know me best, are sure to pass this lethal test.

2nd Riddle
Hated serpent flicking tongues, growing with each breath I take.
When I inhale with roaring lungs, I leave all things darker in my wake.

3rd Riddle
I conceal friend and foe alike. I am a child of the rain.
A white serpent rising upon the land. Strike me and I feel no pain.
I gather at the meeting of cold dawn and warm embrace.
You may look upon me, but you’ll find no face.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Those might be about right, overall. Riddles, like ratiocination mysteries, or puzzles, are hard--especially if the characters are supposed to be better at them than the players in reality are.
Venom/poison; forest fire; fog

2 and 3 clicked easy enough for me. But I still found them satisfying.
The first one I can’t figure out, so I think it might be the tougher of the 3.

I like them all though, they’re really well written.

aco175

Legend
I like them. Took me longer with number 1 and thought of 2 rather fast and 3 took a couple minutes- I was thinking river at first.

Problem I found with riddles is that I need to repeat it a lot or print it out as a handout. A couple players are always asking and wanting to write it down if it is more than one sentence. I found a handout better for longer ones. Not sure on your table.

I got #3 after reading the first line. (assuming I got it right); #2 was a bit trickier but it only took me a moment to figure it out.
Not sure what #1 is.
1. Poison
2. Fire
3. Fog

Edit: I like them all.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I actually got #1 fast the others took a while. Same answers as the last posters.

Good riddles. Obviousenough that atleast 25% of the party should get it fast and 25% be kinda stumped.

Shiroiken

Legend
Got these pretty easy if I'm right.

1) Mosquito; Edit to poison, but if this is the case, it violates "not in a dish," since that's a common method of use
2) Fire
3) Fog

Last edited:

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I couldn't actually wrap my head around the first one, so I asked my roommate. The other two I sussed out myself.

1: Disease
2: Fire
3: Fog

Remove ads