Textual Triage (Part 2)

This week is the second part of my journey into making hard decisions about which books stay on my shelves when I'm having to cut shelf space dramatically. These tough choices have let me focus on some of the very best books in my collection and evaluate why they are so important.

This week is the second part of my journey into making hard decisions about which books stay on my shelves when I'm having to cut shelf space dramatically. These tough choices have let me focus on some of the very best books in my collection and evaluate why they are so important.

What a difference a week makes. Last week our house was in chaos as we hurriedly shuffled things from one place to another in anticipation of our friend moving in. Now, a week later, our house is in chaos as we recover from our friend having moved in! Huge difference.

Seriously though, even if we still have a bit of tidying to do, things are a lot better. I took three loads of stuff to Goodwill last week, including 180 books, two pieces of furniture, half a dozen bags of toys, and a huge amount of clothing. It made a big difference in the amount of clutter we’re dealing with.

Lots more stuff went up into our attic. As a result, we’re down to a small amount of remaining bookshelf space and it has required me to think pretty hard about which books I need access to all the time. This applies to my fiction, non-fiction, and gaming collections.

Last week I highlighted three gaming books I’ve found to be indispensable in both their utility and ability to inspire me. This week I’m shining that light on three of the books I call on for inspiration in other areas of my life, especially the coaching work I do:

VICTORY: 7 Entrepreneur Success Strategies for Veterans by Larry Broughton and Phil Dyer - This is kind of where it all started for me, so I would have strong sentimental attachment to this book even if it weren’t full of incredibly useful information. Larry and Phil have been beacons of inspiration and knowledge, as well as invaluable friends, as I’ve forged my path as a coach and continued as an entrepreneur. They developed this book while working with hundreds of military veterans and found these methods also worked with those of us who have not had the honor to serve our country in that capacity. I’ve read it multiple times over the last couple years and each time something different stands out as particularly relevant to the current part of my journey into my new career.

I’m a Lebowski, You’re a Lebowski: Life, The Big Lebowski, and What Have You by Bill Green, Ben Peskoe, Will Russell, and Scott Shuffitt - Like most right-thinking people, I acknowledge The Big Lebowski is the greatest film that ever has been or ever will be (if you disagree, that’s fine. We can still be friends...probably not great friends but still...). This book is a guide, insider look, distillation, and all around companion piece to the film. Why is it a source of inspiration for me? In what way could it possibly be useful to me professionally? It’s a great reminder to keep things in perspective and not take everything too seriously. Plus, to quote Walter Sobchak, (kinda) quoting Theodor Herzl, “If you will it, Dude, it is no dream.”

The Fire Starter Sessions: A Soulful + Practical Guide to Creating Success on Your Own Terms by Danielle LaPorte - When I finished reading this book for the first time, I closed it and said, “That’s the best book I ever read.” I don’t say that lightly but I’m being very specific. I’m not saying it’s the best book ever written. But, for me, I’ve never read another book which has been more perfectly meaningful, powerful, and useful. It is half insightful prose, half workbook, half poetry. I don’t even LIKE poetry. But I like HER poetry. Apart from the StrengthsFinder 2.0, this is the book I’ve recommended to more of my clients than any other. It takes you lovingly by the hand and walks you, step by step, along the path to embracing what is best about you, sharing it with those who need it, and maybe even making a living along the way. I really can’t recommend it strongly enough so I’ll stop trying.

So those are some of the Greatest Hits on my coaching bookshelf. Looking at it as I type this, I can see a lot of close contenders. Great books about website content, brain function, advertising, fulfilling relationships, and The 776 Stupidest Things Ever Said (No, I didn’t make it into the book, but I’ve tried).

This book purge has given me some insights. It’s clear to me now going through my collection on a regular basis and cutting it down to size is a good idea. At the very least, it’ll help my dust allergies. But it also helps keep me focused on the very best materials I’ve read. The ones which are most useful, fun, inspirational, and entertaining.

It has also reminded me, no matter how busy the rest of life gets (even if that “busy” is the fun kind), making time to read new books is always a good idea. Yes it means I’ll have to cull the herd now and then. The effort is well worth the benefit.

That being the case, hit me with some of the stuff you have found essential in expanding your mind, your life, and your outlook. What are you reading right now that is too good to put down?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Although a great deal of my nonfiction teaches me WHAT to think- books of history, science, biographies, etc.- in some ways, the most important ones are the ones that have taught me HOW to think. My books of logic/philosophy, religion, economics, marketing, legal theory and applied psychology have been key.

So, for instance, what I have learned about religion, logic/philosophy and economics shape my politics more than discussions of character and party platforms because they let me break down the assertions of politicians. I can more easily spot logical flaws, assertions that are hypocritical to a politician's professed beliefs, or holes in their economic theories & policies.

More specifically, books like Paco Underhill's Why We Buy let me break down the floorplans and stocking arrangements of the selling engines we call "stores", why certain colors and words get used in certain projects, and let me be more aware of what buttons salesmen are trying to push in me. (If you sell things or buy things, its a must-read, IMHO.)

Finally, I've been training in the field of mediation for the past few years. Mediation is, at its core, applied psychology. Even a basic intro class will illuminate a LOT of human behavior to you. I learned the formal psychological terminolgies of things hinted at in my law and MBA Classes, and WHY we react the way we do.* You learn new methods of listening and communication. It won't make you a candidates or sainthood, but it will open your eyes to a better way. You WILL notice a difference in your life.

* Big lesson #1, and oft repeated: man is not a rational animal, man is an animal has the ability to act rationally. In every study done, our animal, emotional minds react before our logical ones do. That matters.

Remove ads

Remove ads