D&D General Thaco the angry clown... really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
I still do not believe that it is. Pundit is a big deal in his mind only, plus whatever newbies to the internet/Youtube who stumble on his site/channel and buy his lines. WotC doesn't care about him. WotC keeps forgetting he exists.

Yeah, Pundit's not important enough to be mocked by WotC. Also… isn't he, like, just some mouthy kid who pretends to be notorious on the internet? A grumpy old clown wouldn't really make sense as satire.

the Jester

Legend
If I were to place an NPC in my campaign named THAC0, this is pretty much how I would describe him. Actually, this is a bit more kind and tactful than I would be.

If I were going to place an NPC named Minmax, for example, he would be a thuggish playground bully with no social skills, and toadies instead of friends. He's flunking every class but the teachers all cover for him because he's the school's star sportsball player and they need him to take state. (This is how I imagine every highly-optimized D&D character, of any race or class.)
I'm not sure if you're familiar with the Goblins webcomic, but there's a character named Minmax in there.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Yeah, Pundit's not important enough to be mocked by WotC. Also… isn't he, like, just some mouthy kid who pretends to be notorious on the internet? A grumpy old clown wouldn't really make sense as satire.
Uh, no. WotC has a history with Pundit. While I have my doubts this is aimed at him specifically, I'd consider him a fair and worthy target.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Was browsing Twitter and again saw a post from a newer player about how "anyone who plays AD&D is automatically a red flag and probably sexist and/or racist".

Why I think the Thaco clown joke just adds fuel to a fire that divides gamers as it paints "old gamers" as joyless clowns with bad ideas. Despite what WotC may or may not have meant by the character.

Last edited:

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Was browsing Twitter and again saw a post from a newer player about how "anyone who plays AD&D is automatically a red flag and probably sexist and/or racist".

Why I think the Thaco clown joke just adds fuel to a fire that divides gamers as it paints "old gamers" as joyless clowns with bad ideas. d Espite what WotC may or may not have meant by the character.
And the likely source where that newer player got the idea?
A bitter grognard who is fake-offended by Thaco the Clown.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith

Why I think the Thaco clown joke just adds fuel to a fire that divides gamers as it paints "old gamers" as joyless clowns with bad ideas. Despite what WotC may or may not have meant by the character.
I think the takeaway here is don't use Twitter.

The only winning move is not to play.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
And the likely source where that newer player got the idea?
A bitter grognard who is fake-offended by Thaco the Clown.
Sorry I didn't save a random tweet from 3 hours ago for you. Thanks for calling me a liar though and telling me my feelings about something are "fake".

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Sorry I didn't save a random tweet from 3 hours ago for you. Thanks for calling me a liar though and telling me my feelings about something are "fake".
I didn't call you a liar. I was insinuating only that this newer player you're referring to most likely gets their faux indignation from a grognard who himself is poutraging over this Thaco nothingburger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases