D&D 5E The 5E Sorcerer -- A Pretty Good Start

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
The more I playtest the next edition, the more I am reminded of why I do not like Vancian magic or at-will spells. But that's not what this thread is about. Enough complaining; let's do something about it. Help me make spell-point magic system for the 5E playtest.

This is my first draft. Take a look at it and let me know what you think, and help me make it work better.

[SBLOCK="MP System First Draft"]The way it works: Spellcasting characters start with a fixed amount of MP, which they can spend to cast spells. It's a fairly simple concept. True, it does create another resource for the player and DM to manage, but it is arguably a much less-complicated one.

SPELLS KNOWN
The number of spells known is equal to the character's key spellcasting ability modifier. Clerics with 18 in Wisdom would start the game with 4 spells, for example, and gain 4 new spells at each level-up. The player can choose spells of any level equal to one-half his caster level, rounded down (0 minimum). Thus, spellcasters with 11 or lower in their key ability can only learn zero-level spells.

MP COST
The MP cost for each spell is equal to its spell level x its caster level. DMs who do not wish to have at-will magic in their game could also assign an MP cost of 1 to each zero-level spell.

MP PER LEVEL
Spellcasters gain MP in a manner similar to gaining hit points: they have a MD (Mana Dice), which they roll at each level-up. Some DMs might allow characters to start with max MP, and/or assign a fixed value at each level, as well.

MP RECOVERY
Spellcasters can recover MP when resting in the same way that they can recover hit points: they use their Mana Dice to recover MP for a short rest, and recover all of them on a long rest. This recovery is in addition to hit point recovery.

Like a character with a healing kit can recover lost hit points on a short rest, a wizard with his spellbook or a cleric with his holy symbol can recover MP. DMs who want slower MP recovery can use the same variants for slower HP recovery in the playtest material.

Bard
MD: 1d6
Key ability: Charisma
Recovery: short rest needs musical instrument

Cleric
MD: 1d8
Key ability: Wisdom
Recovery: short rest needs holy symbol

Druid
Recovery: short rest needs animal talisman

Paladin
MD: 1d4
Recovery: short rest needs holy symbol

Ranger
MD: 1d4
Recovery: short rest needs animal talisman

Sorcerer
Recovery: short rest needs arcane focus

Warlock
Recovery: short rest needs arcane focus

Wizard
MD: 1d10
Key ability: Intelligence
Recovery: short rest needs spell book[/SBLOCK]
EDIT: Looks like I was a day late and a dollar short--the 5E sorcerer uses point-based magic! Woo! Now we have a reliable framework for developing our own non-Vancian spellcasters of all walks of life!

Let's talk about how we can do that. What does a cleric, wizard, or druid look like, if we use willpower instead of arbitrary spell slots per day?

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I am pretty sure this violates the agreement you signed when you agreed to playtest.
Yikes, I didn't even think of that. :uhoh: I'm checking right now.

EDIT: I have the OPTA open and I'm looking through it, but nothing is jumping out at me. But that's not unusual; I'm not fluent in Legalspeak. What part of the agreement are you referring to? I know there is that bit about "derivative material," but this is all within the context of the 5E rules development, not the development of a separate product...

Last edited:

Dausuul

Legend
The more I playtest the next edition, the more I am reminded of why I do not like Vancian magic or at-will spells. But that's not what this thread is about. Enough complaining; let's do something about it. Help me make an optional, modular magic system for the 5E playtest.

You have been ninja'd by Mike Mearls. Download the most recent playtest packet and check out the sorceror.

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
You have been ninja'd by Mike Mearls. Download the most recent playtest packet and check out the sorceror.
Heh...so I have! :) This is an exciting development, to say the least. I was really getting worried there for a minute, with the direction that spellcasting seemed to be heading. This is the best development I've read in the new material since Advantage.

It's a great start, but it needs a few tweaks IMO. Specifically:

1. Non-static willpower points. I'd rather this be a random number, modified by the spellcaster's key ability score. Sort of like hit points.

2. Gradual MP recovery. I would like willpower to recover with rest in the same way that hit points recover...not automatically every morning.

3. Other spellcasters can use willpower. I would like the DM to have the option of applying this type of spellcasting to all classes. Clerics, for example, would have the same willpower, spells known, and max spell level as the sorcerer, but would pull his spells from the Cleric list.

But this is all minor stuff that I can houserule if need be. What matters most is that I now have a reliable framework to build on.

Thanks, Mike. You have rekindled my interest in 5E.

Remove ads