The Adventurers of Castle Winterheart

Grim

First Post
The room is large, maybe 15 by 10 feet. It is lit by two glowing orbs embedded in the walls, magical things that swirl with ribbons of color. There is a desk with an ornate box on it on the left as they enter. Behind it is a bed, clean and freshly made. In the far right corner there is a chest, locked and barred. Weapons of all kinds hang in racks on the right wall.

Anna immediately notices the finely crafted bow, and Lynx is drawn to a set of five ornate daggers.

Four of them have blades of filigreed bone, probably human, and have intricately carved black handles. The fifth is the exact opposite, a glossy black blade extending from a leather and bone handle carved to resemble a reptilian skull, the blade a sick sort of tongue. It sparkles with an inner flame.

The bard starts to open the ornate box, but Lynx quickly warns her to stop.

“These could be trapped. Let me detect magic first.”

He covers his eyes with his hands, drawing them back and across. When he looks again, there are faint glows radiating from the box, the chest, the bow, and the black-bladed daggar.

Meanwhile, Taana is having problems at the door. She can not see her enemy, but knows he is there.

“Come out, little pale man. Little squishy man! Taana want to kill you!”

Slade’s voice reaches into her mind, and suggests an idea to the easily coerced half orc.

”Taana… Taana. It would be so good of you to eliminate your friends. Then we could fight. Just you and me. If I died, you would get all the gold yourself. Do it Taana. Do it… for me.”

Taana thinks. More gold. Less elves. Fight stupid demon. GOOD PLAN!

She turns around and enters the room, closing the door behind her. No point in spreading the mess.

Lynx keeps looking at the auras. The box is surrounded with menacing red, and Lynx can just barely make out white auras glowing inside. The chest glows green, with smaller blue patches wafting from within it. The bow has a weak white aura, one that seems incomplete.

And the dagger. The dagger burns strongly with magic. The blade is a hungry, consuming black. It writhes with energy. This is an aura that Lynx remembers well.

He used it often in his old days. It was the energy that collected in shadow. It was the energy that came from dullness, the empty feelings of doom, and ultimately from death itself. It was an energy he used often to destroy from within those who radiated it most: his… victims. It was his favorite of the energy types: negative energy.

Lynx turns to speak with the rest of the party as to who this dagger should go to. As he does, he notices that Taana too is emanating magic. It is like a black snake coiled around her neck, choking her thoughts.

“Guys, I think we have a problem…”

Taana draws her greatsword, her eyes glaring, pupils full of violence.

To be continued…

Grim

First Post
She steped towards Anna, and took a swing, but Anna deftly dodged out of the way. The cleric made a short prayer to the Woodmother, ending with an exhalation. From her breath sprung an ephemeral butterfly. Mist-like, it flapped its vaporous wings over to Taana, landing on her nose. Its smoky form was drawn into Taana’s nostrils, and her eyes glazed over.

“Wha? Little butterfly?”

It dissipated, leaving Taana quite dazed. She fell over onto the bed, which was much to small, and sagged at her weight. A voice came from the door. Slade’s.

“If you even survive my new servent, there will be hell to pay when you open this door! You have not seen all of my tricks yet!”

Lynx motioned for Anna to open the door. He snatched the lizard-skull dagger from the wall.

He smiled, his eyes narrowing in perverse delight.

"Hell to pay? OK!"

Anna kicked the door open just as Lynx threw the dagger. It sailed past her head, and impacted on thin air. Anna felt something liquid and sticky hit her face. Demonic blood.

Slade became visible again as he again pierces Anna with his prehensile tail barb. Grisly ichor again fouls her vains. In his true form, he is a tiny little thing, a barbed humaniod with leathery wings bigger than his body. The dagger had pierced his entire chest, and he is bled profusely. It crackled with black energy, which burned at the wound.

Slade, pulling the dagger from his chest, screamed at the party.

“Fools! This is not over yet. You have gained my wrath, and will soon loose your lives in return!”

He threw the dagger to the floor with enough force for it stick strait up, point embedded in the stone. Buffeting Anna with his wings, he flew into the air. She took the opportunity to swing at him, but missed.

Kia grabbed the bow from the wall, ran past Anna, and shot at the imp.

“I can’t just sing stuff! I have to be heroic sometime!”

The arrow flew true, hitting the imp at the base of one wing. Before she could shoot another, he limply flew up and out of the cavern. Kia ran outside, but after scanning the skies, couldn’t find him.

Taana awoke from her dazed state, confused, but no longer controlled.

Lynx pulled the dagger from the floor, licked it clean, and sheathed it in one of his own sheaths.
Anna surveyed the cavern in general. From what she could determine, they had killed off most of the tribe, assuming they all had bedrolls, except for whatever infants or children may have lived in a particularry dirty, messy corner littered with crude toys.

Lynx walked up behind her.

“So is that it?” she asked.

The bard came back inside. “Yes. We stopped the raids. We killed the bad guys. And now we get the treasure. Like heroes always do.”

Lynx sighed. “Its never that simple, young one. Slade will want revenge. We killed of his servants, and possibly his… food supply.”

A toothy grin spread across his face. Kia cringed. She was never outright afraid of the wolf-man, but his bestiality still… disturbed her.

“He will be back. Evil is always back.”

Chuckling to himself, he walked away. He had much to relive. Ah, the memories…

The others sacked Slade’s room, being careful not to set off whatever magics were in place. Taana was put to work hauling the chest, and the others carried the weapons and boxes back down the hill, through the forest, and to the road, where there horses waited.

Lynx was already there, mounted and ready to return to Castle Winterheart.

“But its night! I’m sleepy!” protested Kia.

“The sooner we return, the less time Slade has to prepare a counter-attack.”

Agreeing with the logic, the rest mounted up. Kia rode double with the ranger, the treasure was tied down onto one of the horses, and Taana, much too heavy for the nags they had rented, walked.

The return trip took only a day and a half. Slade’s ambush never came, and the party returned to the castle, tired, hungry, and definitely ready for more.

And they would get it, too.

To be continued…

Last edited:

Kia

First Post
w00t..

^_~ I CAN'T just sing stuff? Dang, better keep that in mind...*giddy smile* *goes back to sleep and dreams of singing rasins*

Tomorrow's RH day...weeeeeeeeeeeeeee ^___^

Remove ads