Pathfinder 2E The Age Of Ashes Player's Guide Is Out

Kaodi

Hero
I am just starting to look at it now but I figure that this might be one of the best previews of 2e we are going to get before it releases in a few days. Will probably post more once I have read it but just wanted to let you guys know.

Kaodi

Hero
Some backgrounds mentioned not listed in the playest: Artisan, Artist, Bounty Hunter, Detective, Emissary, Guard, Martial Disciple, and Tinker. Martial Disciple sounds a bit awkward but I imagine the flavour text will explain what they mean.

Was it known before that Lore skills would still be pretty specific? There is a Lore skill for two individual towns and another for an individual god. Kind of feels like Lore skills are supposed to be actual subject expertise now. I guess maybe that is not different from the playtest but I am not sure how I would feel about taking such a specific lore skill with limited skill resources unless it was guaranteed to feature heavily in a game. Actually, looks like a lot of these specific lore skills are featured in the campaign backgrounds. Actually, wow, all of these campaign backgrounds give you TWO trained skills. Is that going to be standard for all backgrounds now?

In any case apparently you gain ownership of a castle early on in the campaign I a will be interested to see what happens with that. Obviously they are not going to go full Kingmaker with this aspect but perhaps they will use it as a testing ground for general base building mechanics that would not have fit in the core rulebook. There are also rules for befriending locals that give tangible benefits.

Kaodi

Hero
I guess this is old news now but I am a bit surprised that the first adventure for 2e is going to be heavily dragon focused. I thought I had heard not that long ago that dragons were not as much of a core theme for... Ah, that was Starfinder they were talking about, now I remember. It was a discussion of why there were not more mentions of things like dragon pirates with their own ships and the like.

Interesting strategy though, to put the nameshake of the parent game right there front and centre in the first AP for your new edition.

mewzard

Explorer
Some backgrounds mentioned not listed in the playest: Artisan, Artist, Bounty Hunter, Detective, Emissary, Guard, Martial Disciple, and Tinker. Martial Disciple sounds a bit awkward but I imagine the flavour text will explain what they mean.

Was it known before that Lore skills would still be pretty specific? There is a Lore skill for two individual towns and another for an individual god. Kind of feels like Lore skills are supposed to be actual subject expertise now. I guess maybe that is not different from the playtest but I am not sure how I would feel about taking such a specific lore skill with limited skill resources unless it was guaranteed to feature heavily in a game. Actually, looks like a lot of these specific lore skills are featured in the campaign backgrounds. Actually, wow, all of these campaign backgrounds give you TWO trained skills. Is that going to be standard for all backgrounds now?

In any case apparently you gain ownership of a castle early on in the campaign I a will be interested to see what happens with that. Obviously they are not going to go full Kingmaker with this aspect but perhaps they will use it as a testing ground for general base building mechanics that would not have fit in the core rulebook. There are also rules for befriending locals that give tangible benefits.

The standard for Backgrounds seems to be two stat increases (one stat increase a choice between two stats, one free choice), two skills being trained (one relevant skill to your background, and one Lore Skill of information relevant to said background), and a skill feat of said skill you're trained in that fits the background.

I like that in addition to any broader knowledge options (what you might know from Arcane/Religion/Society/etc), you can specialize in some focused subject. Hell, I seem to recall one background's lore being Circus Lore, and just pictured someone making a Stephen King's IT campaign where you have the party member that goes super hardcore into Clown Lore in his quest to kill Pennywise.

Martial Disciple is one we have an example for (see Step 4: Pick a Background):

https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo6sgrg&page=8?Experience-Builds-Character

It really does fit as an option for a Fighter or a Monk. The choice between Acrobatics or Athletics is nice, as is the varying Skill Feat based on that choice. I'd go with Acrobatics and Catfall for a Monk personally.

Yeah, this will be a great test for some of these mechanics before Paizo re-releases Kingmaker for 2e. Can't wait to try the game.

Kaodi

Hero
I still cannot get over that their example cribbed the name of the villain from The Threat From The Sea series, :D .

Remove ads