The Age of Worms - Morrus' Campaign - Finished 6th August!!

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
What has raised my interest is how Morrus has changed a certain encounter that was initially supposed to be at the keep. I wonder if a different form will show up later. It was one of the more memorable moments in my campaign, though I spruced it up a bit to make it more evil. :]

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
HandofMystra said:
I assume that Eligos is a hunter of beasts?
I wonder why you did not destroy the dragon egg? I am not sure taht an enraged mamma dragon is worse in the long run than two dragons.

Darn it. I could argue that he was a hunter of beets, but I'm not sure there's much challenge in hunting vegetables. Duly changed, thank you!

We left the egg alone for several reasons. We were knackered, with only about 3 cantrips between us in a very magic-heavy party. Morrus has been known to add abilities to dragons, like knowing what's going on in their lairs instantly. We were scared of any curses on the chaos tainted egg. Oh, and we didn't want to hang around in a room the dragon could burst into at any instant. We figure any baby dragon's going to take a while to get ready and be a threat...

There was something else I was intending to say in this post, but I have absolutely no idea what it was...

Last edited:

Eccles

After a brief stop at Blackwall Keep, we travelled on to the Free City, arriving there after a couple of days of peaceful travel. The huge walled city stood abreast of a massive slow-moving river, and as we closed in on it, we realised that each gate-point was the focus of a long queue of people. We neared, and realised that many scores of people were waiting patiently in line, some with carts and mules, others with simple bags and backpacks, but almost everybody carrying something. And every single person entering the town was being searched.

After two hours of waiting in line, my heavily armed, armoured and sweating friends and I were becoming fairly fractious by the stage we neared the front. We had learned that the guardsmen were searching for the ‘usual’ items – magic items which could significant damage to the city, poisons, or other illegal items. Flynne and I looked around for a short period, moving a few small items around in our packs before we straightened up for the last few people in front to move on.

I strolled up to the guardsmen as soon as the way was clear, smiling broadly and chatted with them, surreptitiously adjusting the flask of highly toxic spider venom tucked under my armpit as a small handful of silver coins changed hands. I was briefly patted down, before being granted entry into the city.

Flynne, having buried his toxic arrows at the bottom of his quiver, was allowed through in turn, as was Igmut (after a particularly thorough search revealed nothing which could be construed as illegal). Malachite was also allowed entry, by which time the guards were looking distinctly irritated. To nobody’s surprise, they spent a long time searching Endo’s pack, and demanded that he describe for them the effects of every spell which was in his spellbook. We all noticed he glossed over the particular effects of one or two which we had seen in action, before…

“Aha!” One of the guards sounded triumphant, as he heaved a sack out of Endo’s backpack. “What have we here?”

Tipping the bag, several carved rocks fell to the floor. The remaining thunderstones he had brought from the travelling gnomes a couple of weeks previously. The guard sergeant pointed at them.

“Dangerous,” he announced smugly.

Endo spluttered. “Dangerous? They’re just thunderstones – they make a loud bang, and -“

He was cut off. “A loud bang? Explosions, more like. Could dangerously undermine the fabric of the city. Banned.”

I cut in, draping my arm over the sergeant. Some gold changed hands, and the man’s eyes boggled before it vanished inside his tunic. I took advantage of his good mood to gesture to Endo, who swept up his thunderstones, and was soon chatting like an old friend with the sergeant. He told us where Eligos lived, and recommended a good inn for us before the loud grumblings from the people in the queue made him turn his attention back to his duties, and we turned ours to the Free City itself.

.oOo.

We strolled into the town, and were soon very thoroughly lost. We followed the pressure of many people who were all headed in the same direction, and found ourselves as part of a thronging mass of people lined along the sides of a wide cobbled street. We heard music and banging drums, before dancers, acrobats and jugglers passed us and the cheering crowd. They were followed by a series of rolling cages on wheels, pulled by strongmen or fabulously braided and painted horses. The cages themselves contained exotic creatures or monsters, each more fabulous than the one before it.

One cage, which was drawing more gasps from the crowd that any other was a heavy iron cage, with deep coloured glass between the metal bars. Within raged a massive beast; heavy set leonine shoulders topped by draconic wings which had been savagely torn with a weapon to ensure the creature could not fly. The beast had not one, but three different heads; a goat, a lion and a gaping draconic maw, which as I watched blasted forth a bolt of pure electricity. The lightning smashed against the glass, and then played up and down the iron bars, earthing itself without hurting the startled crowd.

I turned away to see what might be in the next cage, and therefore I didn’t see what caused the chimera’s wagon to tip. I heard the crash, however, as the creature’s cage tipped up and slid off the suddenly broken wagon. The glass shattered, and the door slammed wide open, the chimera springing out to wreak its terrible fury on the suddenly screaming crowd.

.oOo.

With dozens of people screaming and running in many directions, the savage beast fixated on one unmoving figure – a small girl who had lost her mother and was frozen in place with terror. As the beast sank to its haunches and readied a pounce, Flynne sprang into action. Backflipping over some heads and twisting nimbly between the onrushing crowd, he grabbed the child and pulled her to safety, shielding her slim body with his own.

I unslung my lute from its backpack and began a popular heroic song in a loud high voice which carried clearly over the crowd. Many people were reassured by the familiar sound, whilst others ceased screaming to look around. Reassured by the noise, the screaming abated, and the people around me began to more in a more orderly fashion, whilst at the same time, the more martial nature of the song lent strength to my comrades in a way that was now very familiar to them.

Igmut was then poised to swing into action, unfastening his longspear from its travelling ties and turning to face the monster, but Malachite yelled out “hang on”, and began chanting whilst working his way towards the half-orc. Well practiced, Endo was already chanting a spell to curse the creature, gesturing and sending a dark curse which struck at the beast’s eyes. It shook its head, and the gathering milky clouds suddenly left its many eyes as Endo’s spell failed. As part of a well-oiled clockwork device, Malachite released his spell of strengthening onto Igmut, who then bulled his way through the now more sensible crowd. He closed on the beast and thrust the head of the spear deeply into its shoulder.

Screaming in pain, the beast turned to face Igmut, unleashing a flurry of savage claws and bites at him, gashing his flesh in a couple of places but not causing any injury heavy enough to bother the massive half-orc.

Flynne dashed towards the other side of the beast, drawing a cosh from his belt as he ducked under a swinging tail, but his swing went wide of the mark, glancing off the maimed wing rather than stunning the creature as he had intended.

I took my hands off my lute and stopped singing, confident that the effects of my music would last for long enough to keep the crowd calm and my friends enthused. I instead picked out a couple of notes to help my memory I cast one of the spells which I had recently learned, speeding the reflexes all of my friends (as well as the little girl, one bystander and a rather confused nearby juggler) to aid them as the fight continued in the street.

Igmut reversed his spear, smashing repeatedly at the creature with the butt end, the power of the hastening spell meaning that he struck it more times, and with more accuracy than would ever have been the case normally. The creature responded by turning and belching electricity at him from the central draconic head. The creature was clearly greatly weakened by its time in captivity, as a feeble jolt of electricity played briefly over Igmut, causing him barely any pain before Flynne, also affected by the spell of speed, jumped onto the creature’s back, coshing each of the creature’s heads in turn. All three slumped, and the chimera crashed to the floor unconscious.

Eccles

The crowd as a whole erupted into cheers as the chimera slumped to the ground unconscious. A heavy-set blonde woman rushed towards Flynne, screaming “my angel!” at the top of her lungs, before sweeping him and the small child he had rescued into a bone-crushing hug of gratitude. The owner of the creatures in the parade passed him a few gold pieces in gratitude for his foresight in not killing the beast.

Endo and Malachite joined in the renewed celebrations, whilst Evan surveyed the crowd, the lingering effects of the magical song still empowering and enthusing many of the people around him. Igmut, meanwhile, was patting madly at his pockets and dragging the pack of his shoulders.

“Scroll is gone,” he announced irritably to his companions.

The group discussed this loss, but realised swiftly that there was no way that they could trace the scroll in the middle of such a large crowd, and they set off to explore a little more of the Free City.

.oOo.

Having wandered aimlessly down a sequence of winding streets, they reached an open courtyard, at one end of which clustered a small knot of people. Standing atop a barrel was a man in a ratty robe, screaming and shouting at the crowd, who largely ignored him, being more interested in the wares being sold by a travelling salesman nearby.

“Listen,” shouted the man. “Listen to the tales of the doom which stands before your sightless eyes! Heed the dead dragon’s roar! Fear the Age of Worms, which fast approaches! Harken to the terror of the Worm that Walks, which brings rot to all that it touches!”

Igmut cheerfully wandered over to the man, and engaged him in a peculiar conversation, which saw the self-styled “Profit of Kord” try to interest an enfeebled madman calling himself “The Prophet of the Golden Eye” in the truth to be gained through strength at arms. Needless to say, neither of them learned much from the other.

.oOo.

Passing the guarded gates to the expensive-looking and well maintained ‘Garden District’, the adventurers followed the instructions of passers-by to the “Crooked House”, the inn recommended to them by the guardsmen. The building was a strange one to look at, being as it was at a distinct angle, without a single matching door or window. Every facet of the building was indeed crooked, but the outside of the building looked clean and well maintained, and a number of expensive horses could be seen in the place’s stables. The group headed in.

The inside of the inn was well lit, bustling and lively. Many people were standing around a low stage on the opposite side of the room to the bar, where a man was reading third rate poetry whilst another stood to one side nervously fingering a cheap wooden flute. Good natured abuse and encouragement came from the watching audience. Near the staircase leading up on the far side were a number of tables and booths, at which sat a variety of merchants, travellers and businessmen, whilst a massive horned minotaur sat alone in a corner of the room at a table littered with empty plates and drained flagons. Craning his neck, Igmut spotted a gnome behind the bar. He prodded Evan in the shoulder.

“’Ere,” he muttered in an orcish whisper which rattled the horse-brasses hanging from the far wall. “I don’t fancy this place. They let gnomes behind the bar and everything.”

“Pish tush,” replied the bard, reaching into his money pouch and heading for the bar. “Five ales, as many rooms, and meals for my friends and I, my good fellow!”

Within a few minutes, Evan and the innkeeper, Tarquin, were chatting like old friends. The two approached the table where the others were sitting, clutching a number of heavy tankards and several plates of food between them. They slapped them down on the table and Evan sat down, bringing him to eye level with the gnome.

“You going to join the performers later,” asked Tarquin, noting the workmanship of the lute which was hanging from Evan’s pack.

“Of course,” replied the bard. “Although I wish to spend some time with my companions first! What do you lads reckon? It’s been months since we had a good night together!” His mug clattered against Flynne’s and then the others clashed together.

“More ale, Tarquin, and keep them coming!”

.oOo.

After several drinks, the group had spread around the inn somewhat, and Malachite was engaged in an enthusiastic conversation about whether dwarven brandy was better than gnomish schnapps. This swiftly devolved into a drinking contest, which the rest of the party was more than happy to join in with (although without the 50 gold piece stake).

A vast quantity of schnapps, brandy, orcish stout and a variety of other liquors were consumed with great enthusiasm, and despite challenges from Flynne, Evan didn’t get to join the performers on the stage, as he was the first to slump drunkenly over the table, before being carried up to his room by a group of other revellers.

Although Endo and Flynne dropped out of the competition before they totally lost their composure, Igmut didn’t, and was carried up the stairs a few moments later.

Malachite, druidic fortitude stretched to the very limit, kept on drinking with the minotaur for perhaps another half an hour, before with a bellow of triumph, the horned creature saw Malachite slump down, and gracefully off his chair. The beast swept up the bag of coins on the table, and carried on drinking far into the night.

Pedestrian

Explorer
Eccles,

You've switched from first to third person perspective there. Is there a reason for this?

Good story hour by the way. I'm really enjoying the exploits of this merry band.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Moral of this section of the tale - don't get into a drinking contest with a minotaur!

Was tempted to have Igmut memorise a Locate Object spell and track the scroll down. But that seemed unsporting! Hope I don't regret that later in some way. :)

Eccles

The next morning, despite an appalling hangover and a mouth which tasted of week-old badger, Evan staggered out of the inn after a light breakfast, accompanied by Igmut and an incredibly large sack of loot. With Igmut to carry the goods and ward off any potential troublemakers, Evan wandered from shop to shop, buying, selling, discussing, weighing up different opportunities, and always profiting from his every deal.

That evening, he met the others back at the inn, and Igmut dumped a colossal sack of gold onto the table. A great deal of hand-rubbing and brainstorming went on, and Endo was generous in offering to create a wide selection of items, as long as he had the spells in his book.

Now wealthy, the group went their separate ways. Each had their own shopping to do, before Endo sequestered himself in a rented wizard’s laboratory, Malachite explored the forests around the city, Evan left explaining that he “needed to express himself” with his own creative desires, and Igmut and Flynne went looking for entertainment.

.oOo.

Malachite, returning from one of his forays into the trees, felt an instinctive call to explore a series of low buildings within the city. As he looked between what he swiftly realised were a series of cages, he became horrified at the variety of animals and their apparent frustration at being in captivity.

The druid felt a particular impulse towards one of the cages, and rounding the wall, stopped in amazement. A long striped tail lashed in the chill wind, and Malachite growled in empathy with the caged tiger. Thinking rapidly, Malachite turned and went looking for the owner.

.oOo.

That afternoon, as Evan was leaving the Crooked House after a midday meal with Flynne, he was accosted by the rather breathless druid.

“Evan,” he gasped. “I need your help to get a chimera!”

“What?”

“A chimera! I’ve found a perfect companion beast in what is called a ‘zoo’, and the owner says he’ll give it to me if I can supply him with a chimera – you remember? We saw one in the streets the other day, if I can just find it!”

“Hold on,” interrupted Evan. “Do you have any idea how much a chimera is worth?”

“Worth? It is a beast of the land and the sky. We should merely obtain it…”

“Hang on… Let’s go about this another way.”

Thus it was that Evan, his face warped through the power of the hat of disguise he was wearing, swaggered into the zoo, and demanded to see the owner immediately.

“Greetings,” he blustered, not giving the other man a chance to interrupt. “My name is Gaius, and I am the new Events Manager at the coliseum. I am looking for any wild beasts which might entertain the crowd with displays of ferocity, and understand that you are the man to talk to where big cats are concerned…”

“I do have some tigers,” replied the man.

Evan gracefully folded his arms and stared down a haughty nose at the man until he added “…sir”, and looked away.

“Excellent,” said Evan at last. “Lead the way.” He then strode out of the room, leaving the zookeeper to run to catch up.

As they walked across the zoo, the keeper explained that he had been training the animal in a variety of skills, in just the hope that he might be sold to the entertainments. When they eventually reached the cage which held the tiger Malachite had identified as ‘Sheba’ (but which was clearly labelled as ‘Bitey the Tiger’), the owner began to explain that this was his finest, and that he had trained the animal to leap through a ring of fire.

“Excellent!” Evan smiled down at the keeper. “I should very much like to see that.”

From overhead, in the branches of a tall oak tree, there came the outraged squawk of an indignant small bird, as the keeper ordered a number of his men to get whips and soak a broad wooden ring in pitch.

Just as the ring was lit, and whip-armed men stepped towards “Bitey’s” cage, Evan stepped in and grabbed the leader by the wrist.

“Lay one whip on that creature, and any deal is off,” he announced sternly. “Any creature which is injured will not be worth a single copper piece before the crowds. You told me you had trained the beast to leap through fire, not that you could beat it into doing so. Have you any tricks worthy of my time, sir, or should we now turn to the beast’s value?”

The two fell to haggling, whilst the tiger’s eyes flicked from man to man. A price was eventually settled upon, and Evan dropped a purse of gold and platinum into the man’s eager hands.

“My man will collect the creature within 2 hours,” he announced; shading his eyes to look up and nod to the songbird up in the trees.

.oOo.

Malachite was seen later strolling into the inn with the newly renamed ‘Sheba’ at his heels. He flatly ignored Tarquin’s shouts that the beast be let out, and strode up the stairs, taking the tiger to his room.

.oOo.

Over the next couple of weeks, which Endo and Evan spent away from the inn for the greater part of their time, Tarquin became quite fond of the large tiger, which eventually became quite a fixture in the taproom, where it stretched by the fire, and Tarquin would often be seen ‘dropping’ lumps of steak for the animal to devour, purring all the while.

.oOo.

One evening, as Evan returned to the inn, he was interested to see the place in a dishevelled state; many windows broken, and a number of men standing outside, clutching at their heads whilst guardsmen took their details. Two more guards were carrying a stretcher covered with a sheet from the inn away between them.

Subtly shifting his image, he strode into the inn, then allowed his appearance to revert to normal when he realised that all was peaceful, although there were sprays of blood, broken furnishings, and the front door was hanging off its hinges.

Malachite tapped him on the shoulder, and launched into an explanation of what had occurred.

Eccles

Malachite's Story (with thanks to his player!)

.oOo.

After two weeks trapped in the crowded stone mass of a city full of people i was longing to be back in the countryside. Evan and Endo were out searching for more supplies to craft magic items, whilst Igmut, Flynn and I had stayed at the inn. I was reclining on the pine bed in my room one afternoon, thankful that Sheba and my invisible potato were keeping me sane when there was a commotion from the common room in the inn. Taking a last look at the intricate pattern of knots in the wood, Sheba and i hurried down the stairs to investigate. A crowd of about twenty people was grouped around little Tarquin, the Gnomish innkeeper, who lay on the floor with a dagger in his back. As they saw me some of them pointed and shouted that i had struck him down. My protests were ignored and although i was soon joined by Igmut and Flynn the mob were becoming angry, egged on by a particularly loud merchant.

At this point Tarquin moaned and we realised he wasn't dead. Igmut tried to force his way through the crowd to heal him, but despite my casting a spell to stop any vines clinging to him, he was unable to push through the crowd until Flynn held a notched arrow in the face of one of them, and Igmut pulled himself to his full height. At last the crowd parted like ripened wheat in an autumn storm and he managed to stabilise our friend.

At this point half a dozen of the city watch arrived. The mob shouted that they had all seen me strike down Tarquin and to avoid bloodshed i offered to surrender myself into their custody. I was confident my friends would be able to get to the bottom of the false accusations and equally confident that with the overarching power of nature on my side i could escape from any cell if necessary. However, the watch insisted that my friends had to be arrested as well, at which news Igmut muttered angrily and looked like a particularly violent spring storm, about to unleash a downpour.

We decided it was best to go outside with the guards to discuss things further, but as we left, the loud merchant leapt at me and struck with a dagger leaving a long gash down my arm. Sheba immediately leapt on him and tried to pin him to the ground, and whilst he was helpless Flynn shot arrows at him which were luckily deflected by his sword and Igmut tried to kick him unconscious, Despite being pinned under a tiger, he managed to slash at Sheba with his sword and managed to inflict two horrific wounds - immediately i called her off, and we both went outside where i used a wand to cure the worst of her injuries. Out of the corner of my eye i could see more of Flynn's arrows being deflected by the merchant's sword and Igmut smashing powerful blows at the merchant with his fists whilst he leapt from table to table and slashed at Igmut with his sword.. Meantime the crowd were now throwing bottles at Igmut and Flynn, although this had little effect except to stir the guards into action. They moved forwards with shields raised and threw thunderstones into the crowd which began to subdue them.

Under a continued hail of arrows, the odd sling shot from me and Igmut's continued pounding, the merchant finally dropped off the table and fell to the ground, wounded and finally unconscious. As he did so his features melted away and we were left staring at a humanoid with a blank face. The guards and Tarquin realised that this creature was a shape shifter which had tried to frame me and were suitably apologetic, Tarquin even offering free board for a month. Whilst the guards were apologising to me, Flynn managed to lift a pouch from our foe's belt which we later discovered contained a crooked key.

Last edited:

Eccles

Having discussed things with Malachite at some length, Evan again changed his features as he strolled outside to talk to one of the injured men, who had been shocked with several thunderstones and was still partially deaf.

This citizen gave a radically different version of the start of the tale, which saw Malachite’s tiger leaping at a merchant, claws bared; Flynne drawing his bow and threatening a citizen whose only fault was stopping Igmut from approaching the injured Tarquin; Igmut’s huge form repeatedly kicking the knife-armed merchant in the head whilst he was trapped under the tiger, and the ninja/merchant drawing a shortsword, and managing to somehow parry a number of Flynne’s arrows.

That the merchant’s face and body had shrunk and warped into the grey featureless blank of a doppelganger when beaten into unconsciousness was agreed, however, and clearly caused them both no end of concern.

.oOo.

Upon his return to the inn, Evan discussed matters with the others, and they passed the key around between them. The key itself was indeed most crooked, and was topped with a crest depicting a seagoing vessel being dragged beneath the waves by a series of long tentacles. With permission from the others, Evan borrowed it, and wandered out into the town to try to glean some information about what it might mean.

.oOo.

When he came back, he was able to advise the others that the key opened a warehouse towards the docks, which had been used by a little known cult in the past; this was their crest. They then debated where they should go next; opinions were sharply divided between Evan, who declared that they should immediately head to the warehouse and confront the cult, “in case there are any more shapeshifting ninja-assassins hiding in the woodwork ready to spring out and try to kill us” and everyone else, who wanted to go and speak to Eligos, to perhaps learn something about the worm-plague, and maybe even about the cult which was mysteriously trying to kill them.

There was a vote, and the group headed to the Garden District, where they were ushered into a large manor house by an elderly elven butler. The house inside was filled with suits of armour and weaponry on display, which Evan looked at with interest.

Within a few minutes, a middle aged man wearing a breastplate entered, and when the group had explained their difficulty and their need to know about the worm-plague.

“Allustan? It’s been a good few years since I heard his name,” said Eligos in a firm voice. “We once served the same master, and have not seen one another in many years.”

Endo outlined the plague, and the adventurers passed over the notes and prophecies which they had gathered in their adventures, together with the glass vial which held one of the worms in a dark liquid. There were many warnings to Eligos that he not open the flask, but he expressed confidence that he had enough protections, and would hopefully know something within the week.

However, Eligos said he knew nothing about a cult named the ‘Verdigris Manor’ within the city.

The group headed back from Eligos’ mansion towards the warehouse.

Remove ads