The Ambergate Chronicles - Galahorn or the Curious Adventure of the Glass Coffin

eris404

Explorer
But morning comes as it is wont to do, and with the rising sun, our little band of friends also rise and shine. Othic makes them a good breakfast of fresh eggs and some hard sausages he has fried in an iron skillet on the hearth. The hired hands have already eaten and are long into their chores by the time students sit down to eat at the rough country table. Serai eats daintily and uses one of her lace handkerchiefs as a napkin. Jade seems to neither enjoy nor dislike the simple food, but thanks the farmer for his kindness. George and Worthen have two helpings each as well as a loaf of hot bread and George eats whatever is left on Dante’s plate for good measure. Dante has never had a healthy appetite and he can barely choke down more than a few bites. George’s enthusiasm for food puzzles and fascinates him.

“So, about these dreams,” George asks with his mouth full.

“Well, as I said, I can’t tell you much about that,” Othic says after drawing on his pipe. He blows out fragrant puffs of smoke, then continues, “I can tell you there’s been some bad things afoot. People in town are angry and tense. And then those children went missing.”

George lays his fork aside, no longer interested in food. He shares a glance with Dante, who picks up the thread of questioning.

“Children are missing?” he prods. “What happened?”

“About a week ago, three local kids went into the woods and never came back. The townsfolk organized searches for days and we even searched up here. Two boys and a girl, not older than eight years.”

“They stopped searching?” Dante presses.

“Not so much. They hired some folks who style themselves as ‘adventurers’ to go find them. They think they might be in that old copper mine.”

“Some people from the town think that the water is poisoned. Do you think that could be true?”

Othic scratches his stubbly chin in thought, then answers, “Could be. I do get my water from a well, but the town gets most of its water from a stream that runs down from the mountain.”

“You mean, near Copperdeath’s mine.” Worthen says.

Othic nods thoughtfully.

“You remember Copperdeath, don’t you,” Dante asks gently.

“That I do, though I wish I didn’t. Those were bad times, boys. Have you ever been in a mine? It’s cold and damp and dark. Sometimes you could feel the weight of the mountain pressing in on you until you felt like you were suffocating. You worked in filth, covered in sweat, with little to eat or drink. You were made to work until your body gave out. I saw people, friends and family, collapse beside me and we just left them there to die of cold or exhaustion or sickness. But the worst was that He made you feel happy to do it. He made you feel like it was a privilege.”

No one can speak for a long time. Serai catches Dante’s eye and shakes her head: no more questions. The students quietly thank him for his trouble and help wash up from breakfast. Othic seems more cheerful now, as if he has shaken off his earlier troubled mood. He talks about his horses, his farm, even his late wife, with fondness. He looks forward to winter and a well-earned rest.

Our students are impatient to continue on into Bellholdtown, so they decide not to linger too long after breakfast. Dante thinks of one last question to ask old Othic: does the town have a priest, an elder, someone who might know more?

“Sure thing!” Othic exclaims. “That would be Utresh, our wise woman. She has a cottage on the edge of town. You come back and see me on your way home.”

The students wave goodbye from the wagon until Othic is out of sight. Back on the road to Bellhold, Serai asks, “You weren’t thinking of trying to find those kids, are you?”

“Of course!” Dante replies.

“Good!” is her response. George grins, delighted. Jade rides ahead so that no one can see the smile playing on his lips.

Bellholdtown is smaller than Ambergate, but today is market day and all the townsfolk are out, making it seem much larger and busier than it actually is. Our travelers soak in the sights. The townsfolk argue and haggle over their goods, but no one smiles or laughs. Over there is our friend Cobble again. He has found a crate on which to stand and a small, murmuring crowd has gathered about him.

“The dragon arrises! From the Abyss, He and his minions will rise and swallow this damned town! He will damn us all straight to the mines! Our dreams are Hell! Alioth has forsaken us! Do not pray to the false and fickle god! Bow down to the master!”

“What is that all about?” Serai exclaims.

Wow! Great story so far eris.

I came over here after reading KidC's storyhour of your "Victorian" campaign - and I'm very glad I did.

The writing style stands out clearly, with a unique "voice". I'm looking forward to more.

So get writing and posting!! :D

eris404

Explorer
“Never mind him,” Worthen says with a shake of his head. “The foundry is over there. We should get the bell and go straight back.”

“It can’t hurt to have a look around at least, can it?” asks a crestfallen George.

“I’m having second thoughts, Master Barleycorn,” the handyman tells him. “I don’t like the looks of this place. Not sure it’s a good place for students to be wondering about.”

Worthen moves the team slowly and carefully towards the foundry building. Through its open doors, you can see the wooden outline of bell, a template the craftsmen have made, resting forgotten against a wall. Several large, clay bells sit in the center of foundry while workmen go about their tasks. Worthen frowns and hails one of them. He motions Dante to follow.

“We’ve a bill of sale for a bell,” Worthen tells him, nudging Dante to show him the paper.

“Aye, and there it is,” the workman says, pointing to one of the clay bells.

“I don’t know anything about bell-making,” Dante says, “but that bell seems to be made of clay.”

The workman laughs. “It’s because it ain’t finished yet. Still need to make the cope and mold. We’re behind yet. All these bells,” he gestures at the other clay bells, “were ordered first and so’s they’ll need to be finished first.”

“We were told it was to be done by now.” Worthen takes the bill from Dante and thrusts it to the workman. He raises his hands and backs away, as if the bill is a venomous snake.

“I don’t know much of the business part. You’ll need to take that up with Lucius Krekket. What I do know is that you need bell metal to make bells.”

“But, he owns the copper mine!” Worthen protests.

“Bell’s only part copper,” the workman explains. “Copper we’ve got. It’s tin we need. Look, if the tin comes in today, we can have the bell made in less than a week. Take rooms at the Bell and Clapper – it’s a nice little place, clean and even has a little museum. It has a dragon claw in it – you’d like to see that, wouldn’t you, son?” He tries to smile at Dante, but seeing the wan, sulky, teenaged face, thinks better of it. “Come back in a couple of days and check in on us. We’ll know more then, and it might even be ready.”

They do hire rooms and as promised, they are clean, if a little threadbare. Dante and George share a room, leaving the elf with Worthen. Serai, as the sole girl, gets her own room. Once settled, they admire the weapons, the sad, dented shield and the giant talon taken from the dragon’s body. The bargirl is nice to look at, even with the dark, puffy circles under her eyes, and does her best to be cheerful. Even Tokket, the keeper of this inn, makes pleasant chitchat with the newcomers in between yawns.

But our young friends are impatient to explore the town and soon leave Worthen to his ale and conversations about the weather with the locals. It isn’t hard to find directions to the cottage of Utresh, the wise woman. Everyone has gone to her at some point for a cure, a love potion or to have his fortune told. It’s that little cottage there just on the outskirts of town. There is no wall or gate to this town, so it easy enough to leave the bustle of the town and enter the quiet, empty pastures that surround it.

Her cottage is surrounded by trees, though there is clearing enough to keep a couple of clucking hens busy scratching in the dirt. Crows shriek from the trees. A black cat lies on the porch and watches with disinterest the students approach. His tail flicks nonchalantly. A white cat licks her leg, but scuttles away as if startled. Several kittens wrestle in the grass and take playful swipes at the travelers’ ankles. A tabby pounces at the hens, which launch their fat little bodies into the air with a flurry of feathers.

The cottage, though, is quiet, except for the play of wind chimes on a warm breeze. When they get closer, the students can see that the gray house has been decorated with arcane swirls and symbols. Dante smiles.

“They’re fake,” he whispers to his friends. “They are mostly gibberish, though she may have found a couple of real ones in a book. That one is a real draconic rune, but it means ‘bread.’ It’s all for show. I don’t think we’re going to learn much from her.”

“Should we still talk to her?” George asks.

“I don’t think it would hurt,” Serai notes. “She talks to everyone in the town, knows their gossip and secrets. If anyone knows if something is going on in Bellhold, she would.”

The boards of the porch creak under foot. Dante knocks on her door. When there is no immediate answer, he tries again and again. He calls to her by name, asks if anyone is home, but still the door remains shut, no footsteps inside, no answering call.

“Maybe we should try around back,” George suggests. They do so, talking loudly so as not to startle her, should she be hard of hearing or overly occupied. George sees movement in the trees, a flutter of skirt, someone hiding, but not doing it well.

“Hello!” He calls out. “Don’t be frightened. Please come out and talk to us.”

She peeks from behind a thorny bush. She is small and her dark eyes are wide with fear. Her long hair is still quite dark, with a few strands of silver near her face. Her shawl is drooping from her shoulders as struggles to keep both it and her bag clutched to her chest.

George holds out his hand. “Please come in and talk to us. We want to help.”

“I have to go,” she tells him. “It isn’t safe here anymore. You should go, too.”

“Please, just talk to us first, then we’ll help you go.” George smiles. He realizes that he using the same tone of voice he used as a child to try to coax crows and squirrels out of trees. It is useless on animals, but on the frightened, grandmotherly woman, it is soothing and reassuring. She trusts him and takes his hand.

Inside, she offers the young people chairs, though regrets that she will not make them tea, because of her concerns about the water from the river. The cottage is small and tidy. There is a large hearth, but no fire, a sturdy old table and several chairs, more than a woman living alone might normally have. She sits in a rocking chair and puts her bag protectively on her lap.

Dante is drawn to the jars on the shelves, both of which are plentiful. The clay jars are unmarked and stoppered with cork. He takes one down and pulls out the cork. He is no herbalist, but he can recognize the scent of the dried basil. Another contains a minty herb, the next bark covered in moss. Small stones, feathers, animal bones are placed in between each jar. He finds a wooden box in which a deck of cards, wrapped in silk, have been placed. Over the mantle of the fireplace, a lovely crystal, shaped into a perfect ball, rests on a wooden stand.

“The tools of my trade,” she remarks.

“And these,” Dante says, lifting a small skull, “give you power?”

“Power?” she half-laughs, half-snorts and shakes her head. “I can tell you’re students from Ambergate. You stick out like thorns around these parts. So, I can’t lie to you. I can make a poultice and set bones. I can make teas for fevers or women’s troubles and I can read fortunes in the cards. But power, like you have power? No, not me, I’m afraid.”

“So, why were you trying to sneak away?” Dante asks.

She rubs her tired eyes while thinking.

“I didn’t want to see anyone,” she says at last. “I heard you coming up the road and I got deathly afraid. I was afraid that…”

“Afraid of what?”

She sighs. “I had a vision. I’m sure you’re used to such things, but I’ve never had them before. The other day, Mrs. Krekket came to me for a reading. She is a steady customer, comes once a week, usually asking about her husband’s business. Sometimes she asks for a wealth charm or a cure for some minor ailment, stomach problems usually, too much rich food. Anyway, I put out the first card, the ten of cups. It’s such a happy little card, with a carefree couple dancing on it and a peaceful little village in the background. The village looks just like Bellhold, I thought, and suddenly it was like I was dreaming with my eyes open. I was walking through town and I could see everyone moving about, but their eyes were vacant, soulless. And I realized somehow that they couldn’t dream, not a single one of them. And for some reason, it made me deathly afraid and I had to run away before they got me, too. It was just like, like the old days.” She pauses, swallowing. “I’ve been having such awful nightmares since then and these horrible headaches the next day. I thought it was happening, that you were coming for me. Something is coming. I don’t know what it is, but I know I have to leave, before it gets here. I don’t want to find out.”

“You can’t leave!” Dante exclaims, horrified. “You have to warn the townspeople. How could you think of just leaving them without least warning them?”

She shakes her head, tears rolling down her face.

George says, “Dante, it’s alright. We can warn them. Let her go.”

“No, it’s not alright, George,” Dante insists. “They won’t believe us.”

“I can’t go into town.” Utresh breaks into sobs. “What if it’s happened already?”

“It hasn’t,” Dante tell her gently. “We just came from there and everyone is just fine. Look, can you at least go to the Mayor? I know he’d believe you. Please?”

She wipes her eyes with the backs of her hands like child and nods. “I’ll try. It’s just that the nightmares are so terrible. I just want them to stop.”

“What do you dream about?” Serai asks, handing her one of her lacy handkerchiefs.

“I dream about my death. I mean, I dream about Death.” She takes the deck from its wooden box and unwraps it. Searching through the cards, she pulls out a card called Death. It is an image familiar to the students: a skeleton in armor upon a pale horse before which women, children and even kings kneel.

“You were here when Copperdeath was alive?” Dante asks.

She nods. “I was just a little girl, but I was put to work making things like chess sets, coins, mirrors. Most of it has been melted down to make bells, of course. You know, the bell in the center of town was made during Copperdeath’s rein. They call it Wyrmcall. It’s still rung at sunrise, noon and sunset. The sound of it still makes my stomach churn.”

Dante has a sudden idea. “Ma’am, do you know Othic, the farmer who lives on the other side of town? He’s a widower and I think he’d been glad to have some company –not that I’m suggesting anything improper.”

She laughs. “At my age, I take that as a compliment. I know of Othic, but only to nod to on Market Day.”

“Well, we visited him before we got into Bellhold. Neither he nor his farm hands have had any headaches or bad dreams.”

“He has a well,” George adds helpfully.

“And as George says, he does get his water from a well. We could ask him for you if you like.”

“I would like that,” she tells him. “Thank you.”

On their way back to town, George is thoughtful and a little worried. So are Dante and Serai, too, if he judges their expressions correctly. Jade’s face, however, is calm, unreadable. George has had no real experience with elves, except for Master Lykor, who, with his mirrors that could see every secret inside your mind, was always more than a little intimidating. George wonders idly what makes elves different from humans. They have a humanoid shape and from a distance they look enough like humans. True, Jade was shorter than George, but then again, many human men were shorter than George, too. But George knew, height or no, that Jade was by far stronger than he. Were all elves stronger than humans? Dante would know . It’s probably written somewhere in a book.

“Are you going to stare like that at me all day or you going to ask me to dance?” Jade says.

“Excuse me?” George asks, flushing and flustered.

“You’re excused,” the elf mutters dryly. Sensing George is embarrassed into silence, Jade asks, “Besides my devastating good looks, was there a reason why you were staring at me?”

“I’m sorry, I was just thinking about elves,” George admits.

“Thinking about elves,” Jade repeats. “This should be an interesting rumination coming from the star pupil. Pray, Master Barleycorn, what were you thinking about elves?”

“I was wondering what makes them different from humans.”

Jade stops George with an upraised palm. “What makes us different from humans? I will tell you a secret, Master Barleycorn. What makes elves different from humans is that we don’t worry about the future. Do you know why that is? Because we leave things better than when we found them. Chew on that for a bit and maybe, just maybe, you might live longer than fifty years, too.”

eris404

Explorer
Ishiro Longshears, or Ishii for short, has just arrived this morning in Bellhold after hitching a ride in a farmer’s wagon. The farmer is well aware of the rumors about Bellhold, but he also has twelve children and can’t afford to miss a market day. He has told the little gnome as much, though solemn-faced Ishii has little to say in reply.

---

A Short Note about Gnomes

Gnomes are race of tiny people said to be the descendants of dwarves who fell in love with faeries. Gnomes are much smaller than dwarves, perhaps only three feet in height at most, though they have the sturdy, compact bodies of that race. Perhaps it is their mixed blood that causes their seemingly dual nature. On the one hand, much like their dwarven ancestors, they are shrewd merchants and clever craftsmen who create complex technomagical devices and alchemical substances of power: indeed, the explosive blackpowder is of their design and a secret they guard carefully. Yet, they also resemble their faerie ancestors in that they have strong ties to the natural world and are able to coax the most obstinate flower into blooming and can even speak with small burrowing animals if they desire.

Some gnomes reject one aspect for another. There are fleets of gnomish sailing vessels, made and maintained in collaboration with human shipmakers and sailors, and in these swift ships, they follow the winds to carry goods and gnomish technology to all parts of the world. And there are gnomes who live simple lives in monasteries where they live in harmony with the land and perfect themselves through hard labor, meditation, philosophy and martial arts. Each gnomish clan has its own school and style of martial art. The Colleges of Ambergate employ the school of the Fire Ant clan, who in peaceful times act as the colleges’ gardeners and groundskeepers. When needed, the monks of the Fire Ant clan can act as warriors to defend the school (for wizards, especially young ones, tend towards being a sickly lot due to spending too much time indoors at a desk while reading by insufficient light; a wizard who isn’t squinting by the age of twenty simply hasn’t studied enough.) and have adapted their style to include the use of common garden implements as weapons. The wizards and the Fire Ant gnomes have enjoyed this symbiotic existence for more than a century.

Between the various gnome clans rivalries exist, but hostilities are decided through sport, usually in competitions of strength, magic or fighting ability. Probably the most famous rivalry is between the Fire Ant Clan and the Iron Mule Clan, whose relationship can be traced back centuries to the legendary brothers, Hapfel and Kiran. They were twins who were the last descendants of the Dust Storm Guardians clan and they were challenged by the champion of another clan. Sources differ as to which clan and for the reason of the challenge: each clan likes to boast it was their own and the reasons vary from rivalry over a beautiful girl to some imagined slight. The brothers argued, each believing he was the better fighter to accept the challenge, and grew so hostile that they fought several duels. Because they were well-matched, neither brother was victorious for long. They gathered allies from different clans and ambushed each other, escalating the conflict each time and causing much bloodshed and death. Too stubborn and proud to make amends, the brothers forsook their family clan and each began his own clan. The clans were named after the Fire Ant and the Iron Mule, both animals known for their tenacious unwillingness to yield even to their own detriment. Elder gnomes tell this legend as a warning to young gnomes not only about the danger of pride, but the danger of internal conflicts within one’s family, one’s clan and gnomish society in general. If gnomes are to survive amongst the bigger folk, they will do so only through unity.

---

Young Ishii is a gardener at the colleges and is dressed in humble, rough-spun clothes stained a slight gray at the knees from the earth. A small bag slung over his shoulder contains some dried meat and nuts that he particularly likes; another set of clothes indistinguishable from the ones he wears now; a few coins from old Master Basil; a letter of introduction from Master Basil; a list of seeds the master wishes to purchase for the campus; a water-tight, kidney-shaped bag that holds clean water; a small rock that he kept because it has pleasing white and brown stripes. A weapon called a bola, no more than a cord with steel weights attached to each end, hangs from a secure knot around the piece of rope he uses as a belt.

Normally, the farmer wouldn’t have stopped for a gnome (being partly fey, they aren’t to be trusted), but he is startled by Ishii’s honest, piquant face with its large brown eyes, big, round nose and sunburnt cheeks. The gnome’s long dark hair tied back in a knot reminds the farmer of his own children and his heart softens enough to stop and ask if he needed a ride to the next town. The farmer almost regrets the decision when the gnome jumps too nimbly into the seat beside him, too much like a cat for his comfort. Cats live only partly in the world of men, hence the reason why witches and wizards keep them close and superstitious folk think they can see ghosts and faeries. One can never trust a cat for long, for they tend to switch loyalties between mortals and fey at a whim.

But along the way, the farmer warms to the gardener. He talks about the weather, his family or his crops while the gnome listens in cheerful, friendly silence. From time to time, Ishii offers a comment about plants and gardens, and the farmer nods in agreement at the wisdom of it.

Upon reaching Bellhold, the farmer tells Ishii, “Son, you know it isn’t safe in this town. We hear all sorts of wild tales. I plan to leave afore sunset, so if you need a ride out, you come see me at the market.”

“Thank you, but I have to stay. My master made a bet.”

“A bet? What kind of bet?”

“With a wizard. I have to stay two days. If I don’t go insane, my master wins.”

The farmer blinks at the simplicity of his statement and replies, “Son, are you…touched? A little slow, maybe?” He touches his temples to illustrate his meaning, then embarrassed by rudeness adds, “No offense, there.”

“I’m not offended,” the gnome replies with a gentle smile.

The farmer shakes his head. “Well, no one makes a bet with a wizard, son. At least not one he could expect to win. Please, come find me afore sunset, you hear?”

The gnome smiles again and waves farewell and the farmer knows he won’t be seeing him again. But someone from the market calls his name, so he pushes his concern for the gardener from his mind and gets to business.

Ishii wanders from stall to stall, wagon to wagon. He has Master’s list in one hand and scans the barrels, sacks and boxes for the items listed on the crinkled parchment.

“Isn’t that one of the gnomes from the school?” Dante asks.

“Ishii,” George says. “His name is Ishii.”

Hearing his name, the gnome looks around and finds George with the other students from Ambergate and an elderly woman he does not know. Ishii waves and George jogs over to greet him, forcing the others to follow.

“Ishii, what are you doing here?” Dante asks.

“Errands for my master.” He holds up the paper as evidence and adds, “And a bet.”

“Would you like to come with us, Ishii?” Dante asks, a bit uncertainly.

With a beatific smile, the gnome accepts.

eris404 said:
Why, yes. Yes it does. :)

Well, knock me down with a wet haddock (as they probably don't actually say anywhere other than in my head)! I must have a had a charisma boost last time I levelled up.

Great stuff again, eris. Keep it coming.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases