• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Archer (AKA Escape from the Empire)

Steverooo

First Post
Anyone else remember this? Richard Pryor played the Thief, in this made-for-TV movie... An old archer, with the magical Longbow, Elb, passed it on to his apprentice... and it killed him. Some Richard-Hatch-look-alike starred as the Apprentice/Archer, who was in love with "The Sorceress". The Empire was a bunch of Lizardoid guys in make-up, and Elb spat what looked like electrical discharges.

Apparently, it was supposed to be a pilot episode for a series that never caught on. Since it aired, years ago, I haven't been able to find it. I understand that it came out both as "The Archer", and also as "Escape from the Empire". Does anyone else remember this, have any more info on it, or know where it can be found on video/DVD?

"Archer: Fugitive from the Empire" is the way it was billed when I rented it, about 2,041 years ago.

I had no idea it was meant as a pilot, but it certainly explains why
the damn thing didn't really end
, doesn't it?

Afraid I can't help you find it, though.

I purchased a dvd dub from vhs on eBay a few months ago. Not quite as good as I remebered it but still a fun time. No Richard Pryor, but there is George Kennedy! :)

Steverooo

First Post
Armed with the title (Thanks, Ari!), I found this interesting tidbit:

"The plan was to develop a Star Wars type TV series with heavy injections of Sword N Sorcery. The title of the pilot was Archer: Fugitive From the Empire (the Archer part was lopped off when the film went into syndication). Soap opera refugee Lane Caudell plays a prince on a faraway planet who has been accused of murdering his father. The deed was actually perpetrated by the king's nephew and an evil warrior, but the Prince can prove this only if he goes on a quest (naturally) to find a beneficent sorcerer. Belinda Bauer, wearing next to nothing, is the "Princess Leia/Red Sonja" of this saga. Archer: Fugitive From the Empire resulted in a very short-lived (and presumably very costly) series, which ran for about half a minute in mid-1981. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide"

So, apparently it DID make it to a series, although it didn't last long...

So, if my twenty-plus-year-old memories aren't correct, and Richard Pryor didn't play the Thief, was there some other black actor who did? Or was there no Thief, and I'm confusing this movie with another?

Remove ads