• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Banewarrens

GruTheWanderer

First Post
OOC Thread: http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33128

The streets are busy. All sorts of people from different walks of life bustle about on their own business. As Ptolus is a fairly cosmopolitan city, its streets boast all races and even the occasional surprise - a centaur, some lizardfolk (usually keeping a low profile), or creatures even more exotic. Most people move about on foot. A few ride on horseback or in carriages, but nary a day passes when a bystander doesn't see a knight mounted atop a hippogriff, a wizard with a pseudodragon perched on her shoulder, a cleric accompanied by a living statue made of clay, or something equally strange or frightening.

Still, when the sounds of screams and commotion greet your ears, it clearly alarms everyone around you. Rising over a roofstop, a gout of smoke billows up. Immediately, nearby voices begin yelling, "Fire!" But then the shouts of alarm cut off as locals scatter in wide-eyed horro. Moments later a screaming half-orc tears into view, engulfed in flame. Somehow, the flames do not actually seem to be burning him. However, when he grabs hold of a burly swordswoman near him in what looks like desperation, the flames do scorch her - badly.

Many of the names and much of the flavor text from the following story is taken from The Banewarrens by Monte Cook, Malhavoc Press, 2002.

Last edited:

Krug

Newshound
"Looks like that drink will have to wait..."
Krug readies his crossbow and prepares to fire at the half-orc, trying to approach him within point blank range and get a sneak attack.

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Titus see the commotion and the flames and closes to within 35 feet, at which point he casts Create Water over the half-orc (and woman if possible).

"Well, I had hoped to use that for drinking but hopefully that will do the trick," Titus says.

Kamard

First Post
Grim looks up from his water with wide-eyed astonishment. He thinks to himself, "wow, not every day you see someone rushing down the street on fire, is it?" and stands up, wondering if there is anything he can do to help, he looks about for water or something.

No doubt others will have completed actions that will be much more helpful well before he is finished.

novyet

First Post
Shocked at the sight of the flaming half-orc, Iliar hesitates for a second, then rushes up to try and separate the swordswoman from the burning half-orc. "That's something you don't see every day! I knew today was gonna be big!"

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Blinking rapidly from the sight and a bit of the smoke, Verakka runs to the scene, trying to help put the half-orc out.
(I'll untie my bedroll and try to smother the flames with it)

Krug

Newshound
Krug, aware of the sudden crowd trying to save the half-orc, puts his crossbow back. He starts to walk towards the source of the fire itself. "Some mage probably blew something up again," he says to himself.

GruTheWanderer

First Post
Initiatives: Verakka 20, Krug 18, Grim 15, Iliar 12, Titus 6.

Verakka thinks quickly, pulling out his blanket and moving to help the half-orc. Unfortunately, as soon as he gets within five feet of the strangely burning figure, it becomes apparent that this flame is not to be trifled with (4 damage). The bedroll covers the flames for a moment, but quickly begins to smolder.

Krug moves up the street a ways, only to find that no mages are immediately obvious. There are several small fires on the street, starting about a hundred feet away and following a trail to the half-orc's current location. Some people have run, but others have stopped to stare. The only one who seems oblivious to the situation is a dark cloaked figure heading down the street the other direction.

Grim looks around in earnest for water, but nothing larger than a pint presents itself.

Iliar runs forward and pulls the swordwoman away from the half-orc, who looks hurt and confused. Iliar takes some minor hurt from the flames (2 damage).

Titus unleashes ten gallons of water over the half-orc's head. Many of the flames are extinguished, but within a few seconds they start growing again.

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Hissing at the burns, Verakka stands back,perplexed even more when the flames do not stay out after the Deluge.
'Sorcery,' is his Whisper. Verakka looks around for the Source or any suspicious looking individuals (I'm not sure if I saw the cloaked figure yet or not).

Kamard

First Post
Scowling, Grim watches the half-orc's flames ignore the gush of water.

Well, perhaps he is causing them to be so, and in sleep, they will not burn, he thinks.

With that, he concentrates and manifests Inflict Pain. (spent 3 pp, deals 3d6 damage, save DC d20+3, will negates)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads