The biggest dungeon you know of?

Zethnos

Explorer
Hey there guys!

So I have a question. What is the biggest D&D dungeon that was released by wizards with maps, descriptions, and everything. I am doing a challenge on minecraft to build one of the biggest D&D dungeons I can, to scale. If they end up being too huge I may start with a smaller one first. Links to the dungeon materials (like maps) would be much appreciated!

By dungeons I mean literally anything, but buildings and structures are preferred.

ccs

41st lv DM
It's not by WoTC, but you might check out Dungeon Crawl Classics #51: Castle Whiterock (Goodman Games). It's huge.

Celebrim

Legend
As far as Mega Dungeons go, Castle Whiterock while of high quality is of moderate size.

I don't know enough about the material to rank them, but some of the big ones:

The abandoned Dwarf City in, Axe of the Dwarven Lords
Temple of Elemental Evil
Rappan Athuk
Greyhawk Ruins
Undermountain
World's Largest Dungeon
Castle Whiterock
Ptolus

If I had to guess, either Undermountain or Ptolus when you put together all the pieces is the biggest. Both Dungeons have grown through multiple publications.

In terms of sheer physical size, Tolkien's Moria is still the largest dungeon I know of, and I assume a map has been imagined for it at some point, but it's simply too big to put into Minecraft. It's about 7000 blocks tall, and roughly 40000 blocks square.

Last edited:

Celebrim

Legend
Thanks guys I will check them all out!

The hard part is going to be finding one that is visually arresting AND comes within Minecraft's vertical block limit.

Because D&D normally separates its zones vertically, a typical D&D megadungeon often is very tall. But on the other end of the spectrum, World's Largest Dungeon, which is very flat, is also terribly boring to look at and explore.

On some level, the entire Underdark is a massive dungeon.

So whether the source is D1-2-3, or the FR's Underdark, there's plenty mapped out.

Last edited:

Nytmare

David Jose
Wasn't there some product that came out right about when Monte published Ptolus called "The Megdungeon" or something? I'm remembering something that was just like a giant 3 inch 3 ring binder of maps and murders.

delericho

Legend
From WotC (actually TSR), my guess would be Undermountain.

From anyone, I would guess World's Largest Dungeon is probably the biggest. I'd also note that Castle Whiterock, although it isn't the biggest, is worth a look for other reasons.

Remove ads