• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Blind Watchers of the Sylvan Shard

Dungannon

First Post
Lucien makes his way forward toward the enemy.

ooc: I can't reach him in one round so I'll just do a double-move to get as close as possible. Also, I'm going out of town and won't be back until Monday night. Please NPC Lucien for me til then.

Heckler

First Post
Rinya smells an ambush. Because of that, and wanting to open up the room so we don't bottleneck the rear of the party, Rinya will move to M6 (she should have 5' of move left). If she sees something to hit she'll finish her move, if needed, and swing. If there's nothing to swing at, she'll hold the rest of her action until she has a target.

Dalamar

Adventurer
Tumna curses heavily in orcish. Of course, due to the silence nobody can hear her. Making way for the behind guard to engage the enemy, she moves up. Seeing as she has a nice line towards the creature, she tentatively pokes its mind.

OoC: Move to E-2, then Mind Thrust at 1PP. 1d10 damage, Will DC 14 negates.

Richard Rawen

First Post
Rae ArdGaoth said:
Richard surges forward at the acid-flinging "gnome", but the creature easily side steps his large greatsword Bastardsword. :)

The creature next to Richard looks up at the big man with its unnerving glowing green eyes. Shooting out from its back, four long, thick fungus-root tentacles lash out at Richard. Swishing and slapping, Richard dodges the first three. The last one thuds thickly on his armor, slithering grotesquely across the metal surface and leaving behind a dark violet substance.

Forgetting the silence his companions are still blanketed in, Richard yells again, though this time in disgust and alarm, the un-natural creature completely taking the fighter off guard. "It's some kinda monster-gnome! It Has Tentacles!"

Last edited:

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
[sblock=Richard: ]I don't really understand your conditional statements. Lucien is as close as he can be (J2), Rinya is holding the right tunnel (M6), Tumna's in the NE corner of the room (E2). Khairi's action is still up in the air.

Richard can't move through the tentacle gnome's square without succeeding on a DC: 25 tumble check. And a 5' step would put Richard in the same square as the tentacle gnome, which can't happen either. However, Richard can move through friendly squares freely (he just can't end his movement in the same square as a non-prone ally).

So... despite your detailed post, I don't really know which action Richard should take. :p[/sblock]

OOC: Waiting for Khairi's action.

OOG: Thanks to my capricious computer, I lost my notes on this game. I guess it's better that this happened on Memorial Day weekend, but I'll be dedicating my time to reconstructing those notes based on what I have stored in my imperfect memory instead of advancing this combat further. I hope to be all recovered by tomorrow evening, maybe Monday.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
OOC: Rewriting my notes for my other adventure "A Rather Odd Shovel" took a lot longer than I anticipated, so this will have to wait one more day. That gives Khairi a day before I NPC him. I'd really rather not, since it's tough for me to make impartial decisions when I know what's going to happen next. If anybody's up for the job, go ahead and post tomorrow evening if BigB hasn't checked in by then.

Rinya: Are you aware that standing /behind/ the roots gives you no concealment, only /in/ the roots? If this is news to you, feel free to nudge your position 5', as you wish.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Tumna moves further into the room and blasts energy at the creature with her mind. But when she searches for a mind in the space that the creature occupies, she finds nowhere to direct the energy. The space is empty, as though the creature weren't even there, and the energy dissipates without effect. (The creature is Immune to mind-affecting abilities)

Richard's bastard sword easily makes contact with the creature. The blade cuts easily through the armor of fungus and mushroom caps covering its torso, but meets some kind of resistance where Richard guesses the creature's skin should be. Pulling the blade away, Richard sees that the creature's blood runs as black as the pus in the mushroom caps above ground, and to his horror, the long slice in the creature's torso instantly begins to heal. The creature, which, Richard is now undoubtedly sure, is not a gnome, makes no reaction whatsoever to the pain of the cut. (Damage reduction ?/?)

Khairi (NPC'd) catching on to Rinya's thought that this may be an ambush, moves up to watch the north west tunnel. He prepares for trouble (ready an attack against anything that comes his way).

Thallirae, caught in the silent effect, opens her mouth to say something and then curses (silently). She dashes right, to accompany Rinya in the roots. (couldn't get in position /and/ ready an attack, so double move)

[sblock=Rinya: ]Thallirae says, "Richard is blocking the way, I cannot reach the gnome. I hope you are not correct in thinking this is an ambush..." Her words trail off as you both hear what sounds like galloping coming from the tunnel in front of you, thudding against the soft padding of the mushroom root floor. Approximately six horse legs are approaching, fast.[/sblock]

Suddenly, new opponents enter the fray. From the south east tunnel, guarded by Rinya and Thallirae, a medium-sized humanoid emerges. From the torso up, he is barechested and looks like a male elf. From the waist down, he has two legs that strongly resemble a goat's. Two black horns jut out from his forehead. On his scalp, instead of hair, he has black and purple mushroom caps, from which extend long roots like locks of hair.

[sblock=Knowledge: Nature DC 10]This new friend is a satyr, a type of fey.[sblock=Knowledge: Nature DC 15]Satyrs are resistant to damage except from weapons made of cold-iron. They sometimes have magical pipes that can charm humanoids, but this one has none.[sblock=Knowledge: Nature DC 20]The fungus growing on both of these creatures is granting them some special qualities. You suspect wound regeneration is one of them.[sblock=Knowledge: Nature DC 25]Beneath the layers of black fungus on the "tentacle gnome", you recognize the now-familiar shape and size of a nixie, the water fey you encountered earlier. This nixie's body has been entirely consumed by what looks to be a parasitic, mobile fungus.[/sblock][/sblock][/sblock][/sblock]

The first goatman charges right up to Rinya, intending to head butt her with his horns, but Rinya was ready for just this. (Rinya, please take your readied standard action.)

Attachments

• roots-first_chamber.jpg
    roots-first_chamber.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 210

Remove ads