The Blood War: Part of Mordenkainen's Contents Page

Very interesting! Although I would rather have seen some of the table of contents concerning the Bestiary, this is quite intriguing as well!

Very interesting! Although I would rather have seen some of the table of contents concerning the Bestiary, this is quite intriguing as well!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Crawford said that the book will go in "a lot of depth about the drow pantheon". He confirmed that Eilistraee, Ghaunadaur and Vulkoor will all get sections dedicated to them in the book when asked. That leads to me that most of the drow and elven gods will receive a writeup like the ones that the FR human deities received in the SCAG (that certainly isn't "a lot of depth", if we compare it to the 2e and 3e treatments, but it certainly seems to be by 5e standards).
Well, that's about I'd expect: I'd call that not much further. Probably about as much as the Order God's in Volo's.

Irennan

Explorer
Well, that's about I'd expect: I'd call that not much further. Probably about as much as the Order God's in Volo's.

Likely. However, given the sheer number of elven deities (we're at like 19-20, if we include the FR-specific drow gods, Eberron's Vulkoor, and Ghaunadaur), that will take up quite a lot of space.

gyor

Legend
Complete The members of the Seldarine are:

Aerdrie Faenya, primary deity of the avariel.Angharradh, Corellon's consort, second of the pantheon and primary deity of the moon elves (made up of the other goddesses Aerdrie Faenya, Hanali Selanil and Sehanine Moonbow). This composite goddess is exclusive to the Forgotten Realms campaign setting.Corellon Larethian, "First of the Seldarine," leader of the pantheon and primary deity of the sun elves and star elves in the Forgotten Realms.Deep Sashelas, primary deity of the aquatic elves.Erevan Ilesere, trickster god.Fenmarel Mestarine, primary deity of feral elves (and in Greyhawk, the grugach).Gadhelyn, hero-god of independence, outlawry, feasting, and hunting. This deity is exclusive to the Greyhawk campaign setting.Hanali Celanil, love goddess.Labelas Enoreth, philosopher god.Rillifane Rallathil, god of nature.Sehanine Moonbow, death goddess and moon goddess (and patron goddess of moon elves in the Forgotten Realms).Shevarash, a demipower, risen mortal and god of vengeance and retribution. This deity is exclusive to the Forgotten Realms.Solonor Thelandira, god of hunting.Ye'Cind, demigod of music and magical songs. This deity is exclusive to the Greyhawk campaign setting.

Races of the Wild[1] introduced:

Alobal Lorfiril.Elebrin Liothiel.Vandria Gilmadrith, goddess of war and grieving.

Dragon magazine issues #155, 236, and 251 expanded the pantheon to include:

Araleth Letheranil, a demipower.[2][3]Alathrien Druanna, a demipower.[4]Darahl Firecloak, a demipower.[4]Kirith Sotheril, a lesser power.[2][3]Melira Taralen, a lesser power.[2][3]Mythrien Sarath.[4]Naralis Analor, a lesser power.[2][3]Rellavar Danuvien, a lesser power, "The Frost Sprite King" and a lesser god of snow elves.[3]Sarula Iliene, a lesser power and patron deity of nixies.[4]Tethrin Veraldé, a lesser power.[3]Tarsellis Meunniduin, patron deity of the snow elves of Greyhawk & the snow elves of the High Ice region of the Anauroch in Faerun. Also called the "Lord of Mountains".[3][5]

Half Elven deity
Khalreshaar

Yuirwood Pantheon
Zandilar the Dancer
Magnar the Bear
Relkith of the Infinate Branches
Elikarashae
Symbul Fate

Dark Seldarine

Eilistraee : Goddess of beauty, dance, hunting, moonlight, song and swordwork.[15]Ghaunadaur :God of all things subterranean, jellies, oozes, outcasts, rebels, ropers and slimes.[16]Kiaransalee : Goddess of undead and vengeance.[17]Lolth (formerly Araushnee) : Goddess of assassins, chaos, darkness, drow, evil and spiders.[2]Selvetarm : God of drow warriors.[18]Vhaeraun : God of drow males, evil activity on the surface, territory and thievery.[19]
Keptolo God of Drow Dandies
Zinzerina Goddess of Assassins
Malyk Drow God of Wild Magic

Eberron Elf and drow religions

Keepers of the Past
The Undying Court
Vulkoor
Sulatar
Umbragen
Blood of Vol (founded by an part green dragon Elf Lich)

I count around 50 Elven Gods/Elven Eberron Religions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Irennan

Explorer
[MENTION=6670153]gyor[/MENTION] They will never include that many deities. I went with the drow and elven deities listed in the SCAG, those are most likely to covered by the MToF (in addition to the Eberron ones).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
[MENTION=6670153]gyor[/MENTION] They will never include that many deities. I went with the drow and elven deities listed in the SCAG, those are most likely to covered by the MToF (in addition to the Eberron ones).
Yeah, that seems more likely, especially since those cover both FR and Greyhawk: Dragonlance, Eberron and other settings I expect will be more of a sidebar.

QuietBrowser

First Post
Personally, I hope they bring back Zinzerena and Keptolo, from the Oerthian Drow Pantheon, as I think they're a lot more interesting than most of the FR Drow pantheon.

gyor

Legend
Personally, I hope they bring back Zinzerena and Keptolo, from the Oerthian Drow Pantheon, as I think they're a lot more interesting than most of the FR Drow pantheon.

I think that's fairly likely as those two would complete the Pantheon for the Greyhawk Drow the Mork is a Greyhawk Wizard.

I think Zandilar and Tristina will get mentioned as well because Zandilar is Selvetarm's mom and sort of the last deity of the Yuirwood Pantheon that wasn't at least party absorbed into the main Seldarine Pantheon, and Tristina is Deep Sashlees wife who has Sea Elf worshippers of her own, along with Dolphins and Sharlin. Of course they might be just a mention in passing.

I see at the vary least Vulkooth and the Undying Court and Keepers of the Past as those are the main and most Elvish religions.

And we know the Raven Queen will get a mention (although I'll be curious if they will have Shadar Clerics primarily worship her outside of the Nentir Vale or if they will primarily worship the Seldarine and Dark Seldarine or Shar and other Gods in FR?).

But the Elf Gods from Dragon Magazine and Races of the Wild will be luck if they make it into a table, otherwise I doubt they will make it into it.

Actual what might happen is the main Seldarine will get described (not including Dragon mag additions), the whole Dark Selderine Pantheon, then an other Section covering alternate belief systems like the Raven Queen, Undying Court, Keepers of the Past, Vulkoor, and Yuirwood (Darksun Religion isn't race based at all and niether is religion for many other settings or they use the main two Pantheons and the Raven Queen).

That cuts it down in size alot, by like 50% or more.

gyor

Legend
Zinerina is technically apart of the FR Drow Pantheon as well, but she got eaten by Lolth in FR who weird impersonated Zinzerina and granted them spells, so that she was worshipped by Lolth's own faithful, and rebels who worship Zinzerina in rebellion against Lolth. Lolth has one hell of a sense of twisted humour.

greylurk

Explorer
I'd like to see the Drow pantheon expanded beyond just "There's a bunch of gods who are all subservient to Lolth, and then Elistrae, who is a rebel". Lolth worshippers get a lot of exposure because Drizz't, but from a lot of previous lore, there were plenty of Drow cities where Lolth worship took a distant back seat to Ghaundar and/or Kiransalee.

Irennan

Explorer
I'd like to see the Drow pantheon expanded beyond just "There's a bunch of gods who are all subservient to Lolth, and then Elistrae, who is a rebel". Lolth worshippers get a lot of exposure because Drizz't, but from a lot of previous lore, there were plenty of Drow cities where Lolth worship took a distant back seat to Ghaundar and/or Kiransalee.

A lot of lore was published about the drow gods in 2e, especially Eilistraee (if you go to the FR Wiki, you will find exhaustive writeups of most of those gods, their followers, and their orders, like this one. Past tense is a policy of the wiki, the pages about the drow gods seem to be mostly updated to the 5e status).

In 5e, however, you're right. Eilistraee got a small blurb, and the others literally (or nearly) 1 line in the SCAG. This book (MtoF) has been said to go "in-depth" about them, so we'll see.

Remove ads

Remove ads