• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Book of Experimental Might: Now in Print!

Jaws

First Post
The Book of Experimental Might

http://www.montecook.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?mpress_BOXM
The Book of Experimental Might
Illus. Kieran Yanner

By Monte Cook
A 83-page sourcebook for all levels
Cover illustration by Kieran Yanner

Electronic (PDF) edition coming February 21!

Last year, Monte started up new d20 System campaigns and began experimenting with some house rules that he had mused about on this website and the message boards here. The response was overwhelming -- game fans wanted to see how these new, experimental rules worked.

Because you demanded it!

So Monte took a break from his fiction work to compile this book, a collection of the house rules he currently uses in his own games. These include a spell progression system that ranks spells from levels 1 to 20, new rules for healing and curative magic, magical disciplines for spellcasters that always give them an active power and a way to contribute, and much more.

This book also includes an entirely new base class, the runeblade, for players wanting a character that combines magic and martial skill without the use of spells. New rules for wizards, clerics, druids, paladins, and rangers are provided, offering each class magical disciplines like Godhammer, Eldritch Bolt, and Nature's Senses. And, of course, the book also offers dozens of new spells, feats, and magic items.

Inherent within all the rule changes in this book is the idea that characters should be able to keep adventuring longer than the rules currently allow. Disciplines, more ample healing, and the other experiments in this PDF exclusive help bring down the barriers -- like casters running out of spells and characters running low on hit points -- that traditionally make parties stop to rest before they really want to.

Start your own experiment this month!

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Called it?

I said 3.75, reading the blurb its more like 3.9.

A lot of the same goals, and some details, as 4th ed...but without the simplified monsters. Hmm, not sure tha is a good combo.

Vascant

Wanderer of the Underdark
TerraDave said:
Called it?

I said 3.75, reading the blurb its more like 3.9.

A lot of the same goals, and some details, as 4th ed...but without the simplified monsters. Hmm, not sure tha is a good combo.

Depends on what you want, I don't want "simplified monsters"...

Will I use this book, who knows.. haven't read it yet but it does have me interested enough to want to read it first before making that decision.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Coolness. I'll be buying this as soon as it is released. Been looking forward to it for quite a while. I have zero interest in 4e, so its imminent arrival is a non-issue for me as far as this product is concerned. I have loved everything that Malhavoc has released for 3e and don't expect to be disappointed this time around either. Go Monte!

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I'm overjoyed to see this coming out! I'll definitely be picking it up (alongside the Rules Compendium) to see what new wonders Monte has cooked up. I don't like a lot of what I've seen about 4E, so this seems like it'll let me better add the parts I do like without sacrificing the aspects of the game that I don't want to give up (e.g. I hate simplified monsters).

Thank you, Monte! It's great to see one of the 3E forefathers give one last nod to his creation. :)

EDIT: I hope most, if not all, of the book is released as OGC!

Flynn

First Post
I am interested, but not motivated enough to want to get this book as yet. I think I'm going to wait to read the first few reviews of it before I make a decision on whether or not to pick it up. Part of that decision will probably involve "how much of it is OGL" as well.

With Regards,
Flynn

GoldieDavid

Explorer
buzz said:
I don't think either option will prove anywhere near as profitable as targeting 4e. Choosing to not support 4e at all is, IMO, suicide.

My reading of the GSL tidbits is that WotC/Hasbro has decided to forbid third party alternative players handbooks. If this is correct (those who know, can't tell) then there wouldn't be an option to support 4e with products like AU or IH. There would be an option to us the OGL to modify 3.5 for the popular 4e changes. As the official 4e terminology may be IP, well-known 3rd party equivalent terms would be helpful. Maybe this product would be a step in that direction. It would be ironic if the GSL forced third parties to support other editions or games.

I'm not a huge fan of Mr Cook's work in turning D&D into a tactical miniatures game infested with PrCs but the accusation that he is "stealing" ideas off 4e is not right. His blogs from years ago talked about these ideas.

Remove ads