• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Book of Unremitting Horror

NeghVar

First Post
Has anyone picked up this book: The Book of Unremitting Horror from Pelgrane Press?

I found one review, but no real details?

I'd love to get a run down on the table of contents prior to purchasing it.

Thanks in advance!

Turanil

First Post
NeghVar said:
The Book of Unremitting Horror from Pelgrane Press?
It sounds like a book for the Dying Earth rpg by Pelgrane Press. If it is, it's a book of comical absurd horror, and not for the d20 system.

NeghVar

First Post
Description from Pelgrane Press (dyingearth.com):
This represents a departure from the Dying Earth for Pelgrane Press. Created by Dave Allsop, of SLA industry fame, it is a collection of horrifying creatures for the modern world, illustrated by Dave and written by Adrian Bott, who has written the Book of Hell for Mongoose Publishing. We are also working a World of Unremitting Horror setting book. To get an idea of Dave's warped imaginings, take a look at his livejournal.

Description from RPGShop.com:
Out of the darkness come horrors for the modern era - creatures that steal your dreams and take your life! The Book of Unremitting Horror is filled with disturbing art, descriptions, and forensic reports combined with playtested d20 stats.

Existing review from RPGShop.com:
http://shop.rpg.net/product_reviews_info.php?products_id=37524&reviews_id=613&

Mytholder

Turanil said:
It sounds like a book for the Dying Earth rpg by Pelgrane Press. If it is, it's a book of comical absurd horror, and not for the d20 system.

Nope.Pelgrane are branching out. This is for d20 Modern and similar games, not Dying Earth.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I bought this last week - it's really well done and very original. In addition to the monster stats, there is *a lot* of really good fluff. It's published under the OGL but does not use the d20 logo, and for good reason: it's definitely mature readers only.

The b/w artwork inside is amazing. In fact, the artist (Dave Allsop) is also one of the authors, and the creature concepts are mostly his. Adrian Bott is the co-author and handled the stats too. As far as I can tell, the stats are pretty solid, but I'm no John Cooper.

The monsters are very unique and original, mostly undead, outsiders and fey. What I really liked is that every monster has a detailed description (in a section called "All That Remains") of what you'd find in an autopy and the crime scene of one of the victims. There's a lot of great fluff like framing fiction, transcripts of police interrogations, diary entries, that sort of thing - it's a great read.

The back of the book says "Modern Horrors for the 3.5 Edition Game", but the book mostly uses the d20 Modern rules. At least one monster had the D&D description for regeneration with nonlethal damage that does hit point damage (dementia larvae), but you can easily replace that with the entry for regeneration in the d20 Modern core rulebook (found in the monster description for trolls). Also, there are no allegiances (or alignments for that matter) given. I did like the inclusion of Horror save DCs for the OGL Horror game from Mongoose Publishing (also found in Modern: Occult Horrors PDF from Ronin Arts).

There's also an adventure in the back of the book (again, the NPCs use d20 Modern stats).

These are all new, very original monsters and a nice shot in the arm for any modern horror campaign where the usual suspects are becoming a bit stale. I think anyone who picks this up will find it to be a great resource.

Last edited:

Gothmog

First Post
I bought this book last week, and loved it. I won't rehash what jaerdeph said, but the book stats look solid, and the monsters are top notch and very bizzarre and frightening. No boring vampires, ghosts, or demons in here. There is also 2-3 pages of background and flavor text for each monster which really help each critter seem more atmospheric and terrifying. While written with a modern perspective, it would be easy to slip most of the monsters into fantasy or other time period.

tadk

Explorer
where did you buy the Book of UnRemitting Horror
I cant find links to it online

If you dont like your copy lets talk trade or my buying it from you

Remove ads