The Books of Dhum

Crowley42

First Post
First I'd like to say that I am very new to EnWorld but love the site and the forums are great. Everytime I check in there's a lot of people helping each other out rather than the arguing on why people hate what or why thing are terrible or not that occurs on the Gleemax forums for D&D. Anyways I am making this thread in what is to be an up and coming project for me. A rather large project and a slow one as well. This project will start over the next few months and hopefully get somewhere and I'd like you lot to help me.

I'd like you to review monster stats, magic and wonderous items and potions, roleplaying material, everything. The "fluff" and the "crunch" of it all. This work started around two decades ago with my father's foray into D&D and his role as DM, much wanted fellow hero, and much dreaded adventurer to fellow DMs and PCs. As mainly a DM he has created this, what should I call it, a mini-setting if you would. Its like a self contained realm with its own history and events without any neccessity to be included or excluded from any campaign setting. He's thought on and off about it all these years using it or not whether hes DMing or isn't.

A decade ago when I was 11 he started getting me into D&D and his material and I in turn have introduced it to friends who are currently helping me to convince him to learn the new rules, throw them to the wind and use what he wants to and what he decides (that's his style whatever he likes plus whatever he says goes) and DM the Temple of Dhum for us liek he attempted while we were younger. Anyways, after a decade of talking about it he has over the course of the past year truely put his material to thought and paper now having 3 full notebooks and more coming.

This is where I come in. I am now old enough to grasp the mechanics as well as do real work to this project and thus I have had the first of the series of notebooks. I obtained it in September and refused to work on it until the new edition. Two reasons: 1) I was really excited and am really impressed with the new rules (although as DM there are many things I shall add and tweak but so is the DMs job) and 2) with a whole new edition coming out and my father wishing maybe to publish some work even if only to get it out there for a few people waiting for it would be the better choice.

So here I am now sitting with it open going over where to begin and I begon right here. I ask that whoever feels like it or sees updates to this thread put in there input. I do not know how frequent I will get things out but I am going to try. Being summer I don't have homework to worry about but I do have other responsibilities while waiting for classes to start and they include DMing my groups first 4e campaign and taking care of half a dozen reptiles. I will do as much as I can during the summer and during the school year and post some of it here. Please I ask you guys to look when you can and help if you can. Thank you if you've read this whole thing and thank you if you help me I'll try and post as often as possible to discuss the subject even if I don't get any real material up that often.

Red Infantry Swordsman
Medium natural humanoid
Level 9 Skirmisher
XP 400

Initiative +11 Senses Perception +9, Darkvision
HP 100; Bloodied 50
AC 23; Fortitude 23, Reflex 21, Will 22
Immune fear; Resist poison, psychic 5
Speed 5
[FONT=D&D 4e icons]M [/FONT]Claw (standard; at-will)
+14 vs. AC; 2d6+5 damage
[FONT=D&D 4e icons]M[/FONT]Longsword (standard; at-will) Weapon, Poison
+14 vs. AC; 2d6+5 damage; make secondary attack against target
Secondary Attack : +13 vs. Fortitude; see Rankara’s Original Dhûm Poison
[FONT=D&D 4e icons]c [/FONT]Agony of The Army (standard; encounter) Fear, Psychic
Close burst 2; +12 vs. Will; 3d10+5 psychic damage and target stunned (save ends)
Looking for Blood
+2 to all opportunity attacks
Rankara’s Original Dhûm Poison Poison
A creature hit by a weapon coated in Rankara’s Original Dhûm Poison takes ongoing 6 damage and is stunned (save ends both). Aftereffect: Targetisweakened (save ends). Special: If an infected target is reduced to 0 hit points and must make saving throws vs. death they have a -3 penalty.
Alignment Unaligned Languages
Skills Endurance +14
Str 22 (+10) Dex 20 (+9) Wis 13 (+5)
Con 20 (+9) Int 5 (+1) Cha 5 (+1)
Equipment: Chain armor, longsword, one vial of Rankara’s Original Poison

Red Infantry Swordsman Tactics
The Red Infantry swordsmen are the second line in the Red Army of Dhûm. After the fodder is released to wreck havoc and cause chaos among the enemy the swordsman then come in to put down stragglers using poisoned longswords. They also use agony of the army to put the true fear of Dhûm in larger groups of enemy soldiers.

Ali-raj’s Dhûm Poison

Materials
¨ cauldron
¨ mortar and pestle
¨ 10 pounds graveyard rat “sweet meats”
¨ 10 pounds finely chopped toadstools
¨ 5 flasks rat blood
¨ 5 flasks red wine vinegar
¨ 5 scorpion venom sacs
¨ 5 holly berries
¨ water

Mix and crush rat meats (see Notes on Graveyard Rats), toadstools, venom sacs, and holly berries with mortar and pestle into a smooth paste. Combine these with rat blood and vinegar and simmer for two hours stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir as it cools adding water to adjust consistency. This recipe makes three gallons of poison.

Ali-raj’s Dhûm Poison
Level 5 Poison

This poison is a thick crimson liquid painted onto blades causing weakness and pain as it travels through the bloodstream turning veins and arteries a visible color resembling the poison.
Poison
Attack: +8 vs. Fortitude; ongoing 3 poison damage and weakened (save ends both)
Special: If an infected target is reduced to 0 hit points and must make saving throws vs. death they have a -2 penalty.

Last edited:

dragon_eater

First Post
I'm sure people would be willing to help you, me included, but it would be easier to read what you said if you used paragraphs, huge block text always gives me headaches.

Last edited:

VBMEW-01

First Post
Yeah the block hurts...

But it sounds great, and as someone else who's been laboring over a setting for 10 plus years I'm all for it.

Crowley42

First Post
I have worked hard last night and today and will soon have about 2 and 1/2 pages of stuff for you guys to check out. I did it in word and covert to pdf but I have one problem, I need a file sharing site or the like so I can get it linked to you guys and I dont know any. If anyone knows of one let me know and I'll get something up this weekend.

** scratch that I just realized I could attach it to the post and will do so when I have finished It will be attached to the original post.

Crowley42

First Post
Well its up as a PDF attached to the original post and titled The Red Book of Dhum. I plan on working everything into one document so as I update it I will let you know the changes made and replace the exsisting PDF.

This first one I decided to shoot right into the middle of all the work and go for some monsters. It includes various level monsters belonging to the Red Army of Dhum of heroic teir, tactics, lore, and 3 example encounters. I know theres no context for the army yet but it's a start.

I'd also like to throw a thanks to Asmor for the math cruncher which made making these go that much easier.

dragon_eater

First Post
The PDF looks really nice, good job.

Here are my thoughts on it.
1. I really like Looking for Blood.
2. Because it is an AOE I would recommend dropping Agony on the Army to the Low Limited Damage Expression.
3. I'm not really certain why they are resistant against cold or immune to disease. (Not that the disease part matters because PCs don't use it.)
4. Darkvision seems a bit out of place on them.

Crowley42

First Post
Thanks dragon. Having pointed it out the AOE is pretty powerfull but I have been working on the templates for a Member of the Red Infantry and Red Sergeant and considering that I'd like to keep skirmisher, artillery, and brute as Infantry possibilities I'd like to keep Med for skirmishers, low for artillery, and high for brutes. I think to adjust for keeping the damage I should reduce the burst to 2 or even 1 square. What do ya think?

Also the resistances, immunities, as well as darkvision are all side effects from being subjected to the transformation and the goal of creating a perfect army. The cold resist was an attempt at accounting for the armies resistance to the hardships of winters basically but perhaps a change from resist 5 to taking full cold damage but gaining +5 to saves vs cold effects could more appropriately do this.

dragon_eater

First Post
Crowley42 said:
Thanks dragon. Having pointed it out the AOE is pretty powerfull but I have been working on the templates for a Member of the Red Infantry and Red Sergeant and considering that I'd like to keep skirmisher, artillery, and brute as Infantry possibilities I'd like to keep Med for skirmishers, low for artillery, and high for brutes. I think to adjust for keeping the damage I should reduce the burst to 2 or even 1 square. What do ya think?

I think burst 2 would be a good size. Big enough to be a threat but small enough that it doesn't hit everyone. I suggested bringing it to the smaller damage expression because that is what the DMG suggests for AOE. Unfortunately I haven't played enough to tell you how much changing these numbers will effect game balance.

Crowley42 said:
Also the resistances, immunities, as well as darkvision are all side effects from being subjected to the transformation and the goal of creating a perfect army. The cold resist was an attempt at accounting for the armies resistance to the hardships of winters basically but perhaps a change from resist 5 to taking full cold damage but gaining +5 to saves vs cold effects could more appropriately do this.

I think a really go solution which helps with both disease and cold environments is to make them all trained in Endurance. A +5 to resist disease and cold environments makes them seem tougher without restricting the PCs options too much (Since Fear, Psychic, and Poison are already bad options).

EDIT: DMG page 159 for hazardous environment Endurance DCs.

Last edited:

Crowley42

First Post
I have just uploaded updated information for the books of dhum. this includes information on poisons, potions, and templates. The two templates are a bit tricky to do because they both have ability adjustments and the first one increases the level of the creature by 2. Making all the stated adjustments works fine the only troublesome part is in adjusting defenses due to abilities (just need to adjust up or down based on a creature of equal levels base stats).

Also included are the same monsters from last time all with updates. Initiatives have been fixed, auras on sergeants reduced because it is constant, burst radius on agony of army decreased due to it power, removed cold resist and disease immunity, added endurance training, removed psychic resist and replace psychic vulnerability to sergeants. desciprion and lore text shoul now somewhere mention such and whys. if anyone has anything that looks like might need a bit of adjustment let me know I will be pausing to work on my campaign for a few days and hope to make such fixes before continuing to more of the Dhum stuff.

Thanks guys.

Remove ads