The Boys [spoilers]

Ryujin

Legend
Loved it. Loved the ending because, while I could have guessed it, they managed expectations so that I didn't. Very well done overall and IMDB already has a listing for a second season.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If it follows the comics it should have something to offend everyone at least once. Grandma would not be impressed.

It's the same premise with the same characters (though some are changed a little - Lamplighter is now Translucent, Wee Hughie is now American) but the plot doesn't follow the comics exactly.

I absolutely loved it! Darkly humorous (I know I am probably going to hell for laughing so hard about the dolphin scene), gory, and wonderfully subversive.

I was watching it and kept thinking how it reminded me of the old 90's White Wolf game, Aberrant. Really want to play that now.

I am quite enjoying it. I only watch about an hour of TV a day, so it'll take me a little bit to get through the eight (?) episodes. But I've got some thoughts so far.

It boasts a very cynical worldview that sometimes strains credibility (i.e. showing only the negative aspects of various subcultures or communities), but makes up for it by using that darkness for both laughs and introspective moments.

The action is okay, but is brought down a bit by the use of cgi over practical effects.

Like I said, I'm only a few episodes in, but what seems to be the main thrust of the story is enjoyable, and with the exception of a few characters being too unlikable, the stakes and conflicts are very interesting.

So far I give it maybe a seven out of ten.

Janx

Hero
Never read the comics. Just finished the series. Called it on the ending.

I do like how they worked to make each Super have a moment or two where you see some fragment of humanity.

the show does remind me a bit of Brandon Sanderson's Steelheart, though that's a true dystopian, the basic premise of a group of people working to figure out the vulnerability and take out a supe is there.

Overall, we liked it.

I'm pretty sure Billy sent Hugh to the bathroom with the bug first, to get Black Noire on the trail and lure him to the store. I doubt the bug even worked.

Not sure why Kimiko didn't kill A-Train after breaking his leg. Obviously for plotting, but tactically? Comics have taught us that Batman is wrong, kill the joker once and he can never escape and kill more people.

Not sure why Homelander saved Billy and brought him to see his wife. Contrary to the prior question, I can see why Kimiko who didn't need to kill didn't kill somebody. Homelander has no such inhibitions.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Not sure why Homelander saved Billy and brought him to see his wife. Contrary to the prior question, I can see why Kimiko who didn't need to kill didn't kill somebody. Homelander has no such inhibitions.

Obviously, to torment him. If Billy had died in the explosion believing that his wife had been disappeared (and probably murdered) after being raped by Homelander, that's nothing compared to her being alive, well, and having mothered the son of his most hated enemy. He's twisting the knife, probably assuming he can kill him at any time... after having suffered for a while.

Homelander is quite a piece of work.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases