D&D 5E The Case for Inspiration

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
When you say "hoard" do you mean the players can have more than 1 Inspiration at a time?
No, it’s a binary thing. You have Inspiration or you don’t, you can’t accumulate multiple “Inspirations.” I just meant that my players have a tendency to get Inspiration and then hold onto it for several sessions, waiting for the perfect roll to spend it on (missing several opportunities to claim Inspiration due to already having it). Or, they have when I’ve used this method. I haven’t noticed the same behavior with my method.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
No, it’s a binary thing. You have Inspiration or you don’t, you can’t accumulate multiple “Inspirations.” I just meant that my players have a tendency to get Inspiration and then hold onto it for several sessions, waiting for the perfect roll to spend it on (missing several opportunities to claim Inspiration due to already having it). Or, they have when I’ve used this method. I haven’t noticed the same behavior with my method.

In my game it's use it or lose it as it doesn't transfer between sessions. What we see is everyone claims and spends all their Inspiration every session almost without fail. I'm not sure that's the reason though.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I have seen it used well it was with a bunch of newbies... worked nicely kept things sparking. And it was used pretty much as described. The DM was from a local gaming shop showing D&D off.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
In my game it's use it or lose it as it doesn't transfer between sessions. What we see is everyone claims and spends all their Inspiration every session almost without fail. I'm not sure that's the reason though.
That does seem like it would make a difference. That said, I like my method quite a lot, so I will probably stick with it.

lichhouse

Dreamer
I have enough to keep track of as referee. I put inspiration tokens out on the table and let players award inspiration to each other during the game session - cracking a good joke, coming up with a good plan, inspired role playing, whatever the other players do to add to the game. We're all there for group entertainment and social gaming - this approach works well for me and keeps the players engaged with each other and paying attention.

Last edited:

Remove ads