The Center of Time

fireinthedust

Explorer
The woman looks a little confused for a bit. "It's what I do. I mean, what do I do, if I don't do that? Just wander around? Everyone has to be doing something. Otherwise why are you around at all?"

Duncan looks into his drink, swirling it around the cup's bottom. Bubbles and flecks of spice spin and collect, and the great warrior rumbles more softly than usual. "I honestly don't know. Live?" He looks up at the injured woman and her companions, clearly too battered to leave on a quest any time soon.

""I'm sorry to interrupt your conversation," Antor says in his most confident voice, "but I wonder if you might join me and my friends at our table for a drink and some discussion. You look to be the kind of capable man we're looking to have join us on a trek. If you decide that what we propose is of no interest to you, then you'll at least get a few free drinks for you trouble."

Duncan finishes his drink in one motion and stands. While he was strapping while seated it is only when he stands that you can see how truly big he is. He stands head and shoulders above Antor and everyone else in the room, and seems to loom as he does so. His body blocks the lights behind him making the clowing discs on his chest, and the glowing rings of his eyes stand out in the shadow. His eyes flick over to Antor's table, and without speaking he passes from his first hosts to the next.

Duncan Kull stands at the end of the table before the others. He looks down at the other adventurers, all ready to move on from this boarder town, fresh and primed to meet their doom on some forsaken waste or haunted mountain. Duncan hoped he could keep them alive, at least so he wouldn't have to make the long solitary walk back to a town... again.

"When do we leave?" he rumbled in a too-deep voice that had an electronic hum to it.

Shayuri

First Post
Echo looked up from the map she was examining. A silver film had collected over the pads of her fingers, and she was pressing them onto the paper. Thin argent strands were branching out from them now, branching and branching again, becoming thinner with each split, until they couldn't be seen at all anymore.

"When we're ready," she replied, lifting an eyebrow. "Who are you?"

(I'm gonna make a roll to analyze this map, counting the +1. I'm specialized in Numenera as well.)

(Rolled a 9. http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4223000/ Hope it wasn't too hard a task. ;) )

Tashtego

Explorer
Seregal looks over at the hulking form of Duncan falling across the table and quickly interjects: "This gentleman, my dear Echo, is a gladiator of some renown." Seregal drums his fingers on the table, digging through his memory. "Duncan Kull, I believe. He may be of great assistance on our expedition." Seregal fills a glass full of mulled wine and slides it across the table to Duncan. Then, in a low voice, Seregal quickly gives Duncan an abridged version of the map's history.

"This might be our last chance to gather any supplies we need. We should quickly complete any last preparations and head towards the Sheer. We should all ensure we have provisions, warm clothing and whatever else we need. It also might be worth purchasing a pack-beast so we're not too heavily encumbered on the trail." Seregal fishes four shins out of his pouch and slides them across the table to Antor.

Seregal clears his throat. "I'm going to see what I can find out about this Jastor in town. Let's all meet back here in a few hours. We can head off then. Also, be careful of.... listeners. This map, sadly, may bring out the base emotion in others."

Seregal nods politely at the group and leaves to see if can start digging up any rumours and stories regarding the mysterious Jastor Knoop, staring with the barman of the Scavenger's Art..

fireinthedust

Explorer
Duncan listens to the description of the mission, and nods. He leans over the table by Echo to get a better view.

"This mountain you mentioned seeing. How much of our journey will be in the mountains? For the pack animals we may want to either get climbing animals now, or see if there is a village nearby where we can purchase or hire them. There are rock-lizards that walk up walls and can be trained to carry riders or supplies. We may want those. Otherwise, it sounds like the mountain isn't where the city itself lies, and maybe it isn't really upside down. A friend once mentioned something about the ancients 'folding' reality. Maybe this is what he was talking about? Sounds to me like the city was 'folded' in time. Maybe Jastor's group travelled to the city when it was whole, then ruined it back in time, then returned to his own time. I've heard tales like that: walk in, walk out, age a hundred years or none at all."

He rubs his chin. I wonder if I age... Would I die? Or just power down like some used up cypher?

"I have some supplies. I hear there's a city at the other end of the corridor. We may wish to save our shins to resupply there as well, or even buy fresh beasts of burden then instead of carrying them through the corridor. Then again, if things go wrong the taste of pack beast isn't too bad."

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Echo looked up from the map she was examining. A silver film had collected over the pads of her fingers, and she was pressing them onto the paper. Thin argent strands were branching out from them now, branching and branching again, becoming thinner with each split, until they couldn't be seen at all anymore.

"When we're ready," she replied, lifting an eyebrow. "Who are you?"

(I'm gonna make a roll to analyze this map, counting the +1. I'm specialized in Numenera as well.)

(Rolled a 9. http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4223000/ Hope it wasn't too hard a task. ;) )

Echo, you examine the map carefully, bending the paper, tracing the marks that indicate cities and land features, occasionally trying slightly odder things like holding it over a candle, taking it briefly out in the snow, breathing upon it, even putting water on it. After a bit of investigation, you realize there are certain features on the map that could be activated, but it seems their utility might be linked to certain physical locations. It seems there are particular angles of light that help reveal its secrets, and as you move it will be easier to bring other pieces of information to light. You don't know how old this map is, nor if the places that appear even exist anymore, but it could be very useful indeed.

OOC: This will take you about an hour of experimentation.

Seregal, you ask around about Jastor to Xill, the barkeep, who ponders the question carefully, his diamond eyes twinkling. "Not here. Not see him around here. I think I heard the name, but as who someone was meeting after stopping in Wyslian. One of those names of names, contacts of contacts. Could be a false name, even." He passes Seregal another mug of mulled wine as he thinks of something else. "There's a trader heading out tomorrow, midmorning, if you're looking to head that way. He's looking for some help passing through the Sheer. Sevarr Trim, if you're asking."

Duncan, Antor - you know that beasts of burden can be somewhat pricey, but given all the trade in this city, there may be one or more less-prime specimens you may be able to pick up for cheap. Alternatively, you could travel with another merchant, or with someone else who was looking to cross the Sheer and needed protection. A few inquiries about animals and supplies points you to the Hex Market, which seems to be a catch-all sort of place for those looking for bargains. You'll hardly find the finest goods, but there's always the chance you'll find something that's value has been overlooked.

fireinthedust

Explorer
Duncan hrumphs at the thought of paying for the pack beast.

"We should hire ourselves to merchants seeking simple passage through the Sheer. Save our shins for resupplying out the other side, and we get paid to do what we were going to do anyway. What do you know of markets like this? I'd guess a merchant lugging supplies out of the known world into the unknown might be a good bet."

Duncan keeps an eye out for large caravans, or even a smaller caravan that might not have a group of guards yet. If I can find a large enough train we could keep our things on their spare mules. Or, perhaps there's an underdog who would give us a better deal for our services, like more hard supplies of rations and gear rather than shins we may not find people willing to trade for once we get out there.

ooc: do I roll for this? http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4224189/

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Antor, you and Duncan look about the Hex Market carefully. Antor, your experience lets you weed out those who look less stable and less honest, the type who would likely try to get their money's worth in ways that could be quite unpleasant. Three hundred and forty miles under the command of some of these people could be a trial you wouldn't wish on some of your party. Though Duncan is obviously an experienced fighter, and you have your own talents for keeping you alive, Father Seren is more of a diplomat, and Echo seems to have great skill, but curious quirks. The road through the Sheer looks to be rough from what you've heard, and signing on to be the sole guards on caravans of exceptionally valuable things could be more trouble than it's worth.

You amble around the market (Duncan attracts attention, but with his size and build he does that by breathing), listening and watching the various merchants and their caravans as they put together their goods and hire help for the trip out. One man does catch your eye - he's a tall, thin fellow, his pale skin stretched tight over his bones, his head entirely bald under his hood. But his aneens are well cared-for, his caravan not outrageously outsized, and it seems he's carrying various kinds of cloth and canvas as his goods - well-made sturdy stuff used for tents, flags, and other rough things, not expensive dyed fabrics. Though his animals are of good stock, it's clear his packs, halters, and even the clothing of him and his staff have seen better days. He probably doesn't have a lot of ready shins, which is why he's having trouble attracting guards. As a matter of fact, he's only talking to one other person.

fireinthedust

Explorer
Duncan nods as Antor finds a good potential caravan, though rolling his eyes at his suggestion that the jeweler's caravan wouldn't have sufficed. "They had comfortable seats up front. And his drivers were playing dice, I thought you numena-hunters liked gambling." Was that... a joke?

Duncan makes his way through the crowd to the merchant, getting a closer look at the aneens, the man's wagon, and looking for any signs of tactical significance (ie: where daggers are hidden, does he look shifty or at their coin purses, etc.). Stopping in front of the man he waits until the other person finishes speaking, though in the process gives off the impression of biding his time, almost looming.

"My friends and I are looking for a caravan to guard though the Sheer. What can you offer us to keep you alive?"

Remove ads