The Cheyenne Mountain Irregulars: A Stargate Story Hour. Updated 7/20

nobodez

Explorer
wow, can't wait for more! I love Modern SH, and I love SG1, and now, I love the CMI!

Joe/Orieth is my favorite (well, they are my favorite characters, but since they've only got the two legs...)

Ladybird

First Post
Episode 2: Don't Drink the Water. Part 12 - Food for Thought

“You’re sending back a what??”

The General’s voice was clear as he spoke through the wormhole, even across the light-years that separated him from SG-17, and incredulity raised his voice several octaves as he repeated, “You’re sending what, Major? Sorry – I could have sworn you just said you were giving us a dinosaur.”

Kathleen couldn’t help laughing. She had saved the best for last, in her evening check-in to the SGC – she had told the General first about their conversation with Joost, and the possibility of using the local cranberries to cure the brown-water addiction, and only then had she dropped in the revelation about the dinosaur. “Yes, sir, I did,” she said, still grinning broadly despite her efforts to pull herself back to something more closely approximating attention to a superior officer. “We were attacked by two dinosaurs, and managed to kill one. We figured the biology team would want to study the body, so we’re going to send it back through the gate.”

Want to study it? They’re going to flip!”

“Yes, sir, I thought they might,” Kathleen replied. She glanced back, watching Reinhart and Ked’rec trying to arrange the hagadis’s heavy body in a way that would make it easier to transport, and her smile turned oddly wistful. “The worst thing is,” she continued, her voice softening, “my nephew would flip even more. He’s crazy about dinosaurs, and here I am, having actually seen one…but I can never tell him.”

“That’s working at the SGC for you, Major.” The General’s voice was gentler, too. “I had war stories that could top my granddad’s ten times over, but I could never tell him, either.”

“I guess so.” Kathleen’s smile was still sad, but it grew a little stronger as she said, “Thank you, sir. That’s all for now. I think I should be getting back to the others. The dinosaur should be coming to you soon. And the samples of the cranberries.”

“All right, Major. We’ll check on those cranberries for you, and see if the ones here have the same chemicals. Your Think Tank buddies are going to want to know if your cranberries are addictive, though, before they start using them to find a cure.”

“We’re looking into it, sir.” Kathleen resisted the urge to salute to the General’s voice, and settled for another, “Thank you, sir. Good night.”

Dr. Haas returned to the village from Joost’s house a short while later, still giddy with excitement at her recent victory over the dinosaur. “Good news!” she declared. “The cranberries don’t seem to be harmful, or to cause any replacement addiction. The trouble is that they aren’t really ripe yet – it’s too early in the season.”

“Well, we’ll have to figure out some way to deal with that.” Kathleen looked across the village green, watching Marka head back towards her cottage, and said more quietly, “It’s probably just as well. I don’t think we’ll be able to persuade the villagers to stop drinking that water anytime soon.”

“Or we could just tie ‘em to a tree till they dry out,” Joe put in. Everyone turned to stare, with varying degrees of disapproval, shock, and exasperation. Joe just shrugged.

Kathleen cleared her throat, pointedly changing the subject. “Isn’t it about time for us to be getting to sleep?”

The villagers offered the use of one of the abandoned cottages, a two-room structure with its thatched roof nearly intact. Kathleen made appropriate expressions of gratitude, but there was a dubious look in her eyes as she surveyed the slightly cramped quarters, and Ked’rec cleared his throat quietly behind her. “I do not wish to impose,” the Jaffa said, with his usual calm tone, “and I do not need sleep in the way that humans do, but I will require privacy in order to properly complete my nightly meditation.”

“Some of us can bunk down in the town hall,” Reinhart offered. “There might be more room there.” Joe found himself nodding in agreement, as Orieth’s anxious thoughts rose up. Where will there be the most people? Safety in numbers. Safety in numbers…

“All right,” Kathleen nodded. “Ked’rec, you can get the back room of the cottage. I can take the front, with Major McNair and Dr. Haas.”

December 24, 2010

Ked’rec moved nimbly despite the long hours he had spent in motionless, cross-legged meditation. He slipped out the back door of the cottage, avoiding the women still sleeping in the other room, and stepped out into the early-morning sunlight.

His head cocked, as if he were listening for something, but it was his sense of smell that had been alerted. Slowly, he turned his head, following the harsh, distant scent…and saw a plume of smoke, rising above the treeline.

Forest fire.

Tamlyn

Explorer
Ok guys. It's been a year and still no update. We've been patient enough.

Seriously, I've been going through the DVDs with my wife and realized that I've been missing this SH. So are y'all still playing? Can I bug you into sending an update or two?

Ladybird

First Post
Awww. Thank you, Tam! It's good to know that there are still people out there reading.

Unfortunately, Real Life has pretty much swallowed the game - Joe's player has moved to California, and many of the rest of us are dealing with various levels of academic, professional, and personal busy-ness. I really hope that I will be able to write up the end of this session at some point, 'cause it was a great ending! But unfortunately, we haven't had another session since.

But!

Obezyanchik and I are hoping to adapt some of the CMI material for Anonycon this December. Stay tuned - if any of you out there reading can make it to Connecticut, we'd love to meet you and have you play along!

Remove ads