• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Closed Eye (DM: Halford, Judge: garyh)

nerdytenor

First Post
Tander instinctively steps towards Palindrome to offer aid, but seeing the look on his face thinks better of it. Intending to smooth things over, he changes the subject back to the quest at hand.

"Palindrome, did you learn anything of interest?" Tander asks, simply.

KenHood

First Post
"Palindrome, did you learn anything of interest?" Tander asks, simply.

"Yes. Apparently gods have a rather loose definition of flame."

He shakes his head in disapproval--not only at the gods, but at Woe. He pauses to pull a bit of scab from his lips.

"And in addition to this rather painful fact, I discovered the library has one of the last extant copies of Yarg's original notes and journals, which curiously enough happens to be exactly like this one I'm carrying in my pocket."

He grins, producing the document.

"You will note the use of the 'closed eye' in the margin of this page about summoning abyssal Lung Worm parasites. Along with references to one Karriman, now deceased, former member of a group known as the Crossroaders. It also mentions a 'veil' in the 'isle's interior'--one assumes this isle to be Daunton."

"I've yet to find any information that will enable us to uncover the hidden text at the bottom of the Screamer, but I suppose I'll have plenty of time to study it on the carriage ride to the Glasston's manor."

"Hmm. If someone will me hand me our copy of the Screamer, I'd like to compare the handwriting of the paper to Yarg's notes."

"Also, I would greatly appreciate healing."

Halford

First Post
[sblock=Palindrome]
Mulling over his findings Palindrome recalls a passing reference to, well, passing notes during Yarg's brief tenure as an apprentice under Arga the Black. Examining the notes in his possession he manages to find the passage again.

Myself and Liras were once thick as thieves, earning many a tongue lashing from the "Lady" Arga, but despite our long standing friendship I can no longer trust him in these matters. Despite maintaining our unusual communication method, with his last message being triggered by a memorable admixture of honeysuckle, purple, and that odd scent Finidarr used to emit during lectures, it may be that our discourse has been compromised - perhaps he himself has betrayed our efforts.

The three listed effects give Palindrome a cous thought, could have been using a code unlocked by a specific usage of prestidigiation?[/sblock]

OOC: Sorry to be catering exclusiely to KenHood here fellas! Should be done with it now! ;) He's very demanding.

nerdytenor

First Post
Tander lays a hand on Palindrome's shoulder. White light flows from Tander and illuminates Palindrome with such brilliance that for a moment only his outline can be seen. The light fades, and with it, all of Palindrome's blisters and boils.

[sblock=OOC]
Healing word - Palindrome spends a surge and regains an additional 9 hp
[/sblock]

Dunamin

First Post
OOC: Sorry to be catering exclusiely to KenHood here fellas! Should be done with it now! ;) He's very demanding.
I'm sure we'll all get our moment in the spotlight, eventually. :p

Anyways, I was wondering if we should wait for hafrogman to pipe up before jumping back on the Plot Wagon? Wouldn't want to leave a man behind and all that...

Halford

First Post
OOC: I will email Hagfrogman and leave the rest up to you fellas. I suggest chatting for a while about your plans, then he can chip in once he gets back and we can move along.

KenHood

First Post
"Thanks for the...uh..."

Palindrome waves in an absent fashion at Tander.

"Um..."

"AH HAH!"

Palindrome rips Yarg's notes out of his vest pocket. He rifles through the pages. "Yes!"

"Behold!"

In triumph, he presents the following to his companions:

Myself and Liras were once thick as thieves, earning many a tongue lashing from the "Lady" Arga, but despite our long standing friendship I can no longer trust him in these matters. Despite maintaining our unusual communication method, with his last message being triggered by a memorable admixture of honeysuckle, purple, and that odd scent Finidarr used to emit during lectures, it may be that our discourse has been compromised - perhaps he himself has betrayed our efforts.​

"This may be our key to the hidden text at the bottom of the Screamer. I conjure that it is a code, broken by the casting of prestidigitation."

Palindrome picks up the Screamer.

"Let me see," he mutters, tongue stuck slightly out of his mouth.

He casts prestidigitation on the paper, mixing honeysuckle, purple, and...at his best guess...body odour.

He hops from one foot to the other, studying the response of the paper.

Halford

First Post
OOC: I will give an intelligence check, but there are more experience points in it if the group figure it out without rolling - as per a skill challenge, though it won't work like one. If Palindrome gives the information to the rest of the group they are free to chime in to.

Basically I will allow three int checks which give clues, but for each one the group takes the experience will be reduced.

Though I suppose I have already given away that you have all the information needed to solve it.

Remove ads