• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Codex of Erde

This 256 page d20 hardback book contains all the information you will need to run a game in the world of Erde. It contains a players section with the races, languages, guilds, new prestige classes, weapons, spells, and other goodies, as well as a DMs section with new magic items, monsters, races and more.

Look for the mini-module introducing the players to Gaxmoor by the father of role paying himself, Gary Gygax.
There are compiled histories and geographies of the world recording over 12,000 years of history, from Erde's creation, through the Goblin -Dwarf wars, to the age of Winter Dark and after. There are descriptions of over 30 lands, peoples, old and new, rulers, their heraldry and much much more.

The Codex is a hardback d20 System rulebook/sourcebook on The World of Erde. Contains everything Players and DMs need to run a campaign, including new d20 stats, spells, monsters, deities, races, classes, weapons and magic items.

DM_Jeff

Explorer
The Codex of Erde is the long-awaited full-fledged fantasy world by Troll Lord Games!

The Codex of Erde
By Davis Chenault and Mac Golden
With an adventure by Gary Gygax
Cover art by Doug Kovacs
$34.95 255-page hardcover sourcebook
ISBN: 1-931275-05-X

Introduction: A long, long time ago (back in 2000) I first discovered Troll Lord Games and the campaign world they set their adventures in called the After Winter Dark campaign setting, which was a simple 24-page booklet giving a very general overview of the world. It was a combination of the setting, the adventures, and the artwork that drew me to it and originally grabbed me. For long-time readers of this site, my personal feeling of Erde and the inhabitants are of a darker, gritty fantasy thanks to the flavorful artwork. Their d20 adventures in the interim have been critically acclaimed and been used in campaigns everywhere. It’s with great anticipation I finally got to delve into this monster of a book. I was told the release was pushed back so they could make it complete as possible, cramming all the detail in so no further supplements would be necessary. It certainly was worth the wait.

Review: The Codex of Erde is a 255-page hardcover campaign setting for the d20 system. The cover art depicts a huge, ancient wyrm battling a red-robed armored knight. The book is wrapped in thin shrink-wrap to protect it during shipping. The borders are very thin with a torn paper box icon around the pages. The text density is tight and the size nice and small, so you’re surely getting loads of content. The interior artwork is the type I’ve expected from Troll Lord, fantasy-flavored goodness with an old-world feel and, despite various artists, a similar appearance. The interior is all black & white, with artwork, heraldry, symbols, and maps. Editing and layout & design are good, a few mishaps do creep in here or there, I suppose expected in a project of this size, but they are small and don’t distract from the value of the tome.

The History of the World is first, and it takes you though the ages of the world and its evolution. Deciding to be complete, I started from page one and worked my way through it...and what a read it was. It’s written in a style reminiscent of ancient prophecies: "In the beginning, the Void existed without shape or form, and the All Father moved across the face of the Void, pondering the great emptiness" almost as if there was a chronicler there to witness the whole ordeal. It’s in this style that we read about the almost 15,000 year history of the world of Erde and it’s people. The creation mythology is detailed within the story, meshing real-world myth with new ideas bent towards a fantasy feel. While the world itself can be described as a ‘quintessential’ D&D campaign, this part stands out.

Because while there are dozens of campaign worlds out there with a bunch of ‘typical’ fantasy trappings, very few explain their entire role throughout history, their origins, and mark on the world. Too many others go for a quick fix to make them interesting: hobgoblins rule the seas, or all elves live in the clouds. Erde gives us the tales behind the scenes for these trappings that breathes life into an old tale.

It is fascinating to read some of the ways in which it distinguishes itself, too. In the beginning the world was flat! The All-Father created Erde out of the maelstrom and the great Dragon Inzae created another world underneath it. How did they do this? With the Language of Creation, of course. The All-Father knew it first, and slowly taught it to Inzae to shape her world. As we’re talking about the beginning of time here, some basic concepts need explaining, for example first there were only three gods, one for each basic ideal: good, evil, and neutrality. It’s from these folks that all conflict and change started rolling.

The Dwarves and Dragons were the first races on Erde. To further answer the eternal questions asked by novices everywhere: WHY do dwarves work so hard to produce such things of beauty? WHY do elves hide away in the glades of the world? You can trace each of these questions back to their creation or history and in doing so help you get a greater feel (and respect) for your chosen character’s race.

The next 50 pages of high-density text was almost like reading an engaging novel, because thanks to their adventures (and the 24 page intro to Erde published almost two years ago) I knew there was something big on the horizon: The coming of Unklar, the horned god, and his thousand-year reign of lawful evil control of the world. This devil-god called forth the maelstrom to cover Erde in perpetual clouds, blocking the sun! Gaining allies amongst the goblinkin and greedy men, he moved his way across the lands like a plague conquering all. At the height of his power, he sat atop his throne at Aufstrag, created his fiendish generals the Mogrl, and bent the world. Yes it’s he who took the world and made it round (what happened to that world underneath? Heh heh heh.)

As mentioned earlier the creation mythology and ancient history of Erde is incredibly detailed yet painted with broad strokes in all the right places. In this vein it’s not meant to restrict a DM with what actually happened at every moment, but to give an overview: there are plenty of gaps, conjecture and mysteries built in that sets a DM’s mind spinning with thoughts and you soon learn that you’re building and adding to the myth as easily as you turn the pages. What this boils down to is it’s not a bully telling you what’s what, but a partner in crime helping you devise a channeling fantasy setting for the players. The history is also good for the players too.

You see, while the gods played with Erde when it was new, as time marched on eventually came the age of heroes. This is where we read about the exploits of the greatest heroes of the world from ancient times all the way up through the current day. These iconic characters become the backbone of the Erde story skeleton by triumphing, failing and changing the world through awesome deeds and amazing exploits, not just abusing godly power. In other words, these are characters whom your players can look up to, join organizations built around their teachings and strive to model in their own adventures. Conveniently these characters are not running around involving themselves this day, many have actually ascended to a minor level of godhood themselves, leaving the PC’s to care for Erde.

Oh, so how did Unklar finally get defeated? What great wars changed the lives of nations? Which races are at odds with others to this day? What ever happened to Inzae and the All-Father? These and nearly a hundred other threads of the Erde tapestry are woven throughout this first chapter, and I can’t even remotely do them justice in a simple review.

Next comes Of Gods and the Cosmos, which gives us a look at the calendar and deities of Erde. First we gets months and holidays as well as frank answers to many of the question that were built in the creation myths: what the maelstrom is, what happened to the world of Inzae, how the planes are arranged including the mysterious dreaming sea, and the solar system and cosmology the campaign is set in. Next comes the gods of the world, divided up into Eternals, Spirits and Immortals, and further defined by Supreme, Greater, Lesser, Minor, and Heroes/Villains. This not only provides a hierarchy for the gods, but shows their relation to one another, the idea of the number of worshippers they each command, the domains they control and so on. Each god is then listed, in detail with a symbol, but still leaving enough to the DM to add their deities or treat the given gods in their own way.

The Kingdoms of Erde is the largest chapter by far and details, individually, each and every land the setting. While it would be insane to detail all the lands, what I will give you is the next best thing: how they are presented.

Each Kingdom/Province/Empire is given a one, two, three or four page spread (most get two). In each are answers to the following: The land, its peoples and its ruler, the manner in how it came to be, how it is today, and details on some of the unusual features about the land. Each one also gets an EC rating, an economy rating from 1 to 5 giving guidelines as to the monetary strength and power of the land and those that work it. While details are given in an appendix as to how to flesh out these ratings, what they don’t give you are exact population records, just one of the features built in to let the DM flesh it our to suit their own campaign.

It’s important to note here then the flavor of the campaign and my own interpretations. I’ve said plenty of times that I enjoyed the gritty old-world style of the art and the adventures, but the campaign is surprisingly open for all types of play. While magic is wondrous, I wouldn’t call it rare. The setting itself can be as gritty or hope-filled as a DM wishes, after all the world just got out of a thousand-year winter, and while the good is good, the evil is very, very terrible.

Next comes Notes on Geographies, which breaks down all the natural features like mountains, seas and swamps. Each compass section is given it’s own sub-chapter in here with a grayscale map of the region and all the rivers, forests, mountains and natural features given life. As opposed to the simple, pitiful (and boring) answers to natural features of other campaigns, each section has a distinct flavor and history of its own making them stand out all while laying the groundwork for that all-important DM question "what can I put here?" I found this a refreshing treatment of the campaign.

Is there a color map? Alas, no. The designers felt a map attached to the book would more than not lead to a damaged product and so they sell the big, poster fold-out map separately. I got my copy of this two years ago when I first found the Erde campaign, and from my own opinion it’s worth it. The colors are very good, the hand-drawn aspect gives it a natural look and yet the details are in there so it’s not sloppy and follows a uniform design. Areas are clearly labeled and towns and borders and features can be picked out at a glance. It’s a very nice map.

Search for a Lost City is the introductory adventure by Gary Gygax, a prequel to the lost city of Gaxmoor by Ernie & Luke Gygax that’s on the way. It’s touted for a group of 4 to 8 PC’s with no more than 8 combined experience levels. In short it’s a prelude adventure, and within the first two paragraphs I realized I really missed Gary’s writing and adventure treatment, it’s good to see him back! The characters are tasked with discovering the secrets of a city that has recently appeared from nowhere in the wilderness! While the text size takes a jump up, the written detail setting the scenes is very stylish and enjoyable. The party in their quest for this new city comes across a solitary farmstead and gets wrapped up in the danger that threatens it. Interior and Exterior cartography is plentiful and excellent. Challenges and mood are very good as is pace and options. The only issue is it’s too short; it’s a very good short adventure.

Next is a section called The Players Handbook to Erde. This is an good way to treat the users of a campaign setting; it’s like a gazetteer for the players to read to get into playing their Erde characters. Notes about how each typical race fits into the world is given with background, religion, languages, adventurers, names, traits and skills (including alteration to some of the above from the usual fare in the PHB to fit them in Erde). This includes new age and height and weight tables and a big list of languages of the land.

This section also includes class information. In a fascinating design feature, the High Elf is actually a full character class (not prestige class). The choice to make a high elf a class instead of a racial package became clear upon examine its special and spell progression abilities. No doubt while crafting it they decided it looked too much like a class description than a race and treated it as such. Obviously you can’t be a gnome and take the high elf class however!

Also presented are prestige classes: the Holy Defender of the Flame (mostly for paladins and other just and good fighting types), Primal Druid (a new twist to put on your druid PC), and the Watchers in the Wood (a guild of rangers dedicated to a cause). Each of these shows good technique and uses them the way they were meant: to broaden the scope of the individual campaign. They were all solid and faithfully built to d20 specifications.

Next is 20 individually detailed guilds and organization for the PC’s to join, battle against and otherwise cross adventurers with. Like the rest of the items in this world, there’s purpose and meaning behind each one, they weren’t dropped in to fill a niche, but each takes it’s queue from a need or historical happenstance to give them life.

Also in this section are the details on how the previously mentioned economic ratings of lands effects the PC’s money, trade, a buying habits within a land’s borders. The land’s coins (including the return of the electrum piece!) are given names and notes and a huge host of new weapons (including a full range of flintlock and cannon weapons). Many of these too, lead a flavor, including the maul, the great bow (AKA gnoll bow), the spiked ball and chain and the greathammer. New armor and a discussion of the effectiveness of helms is here too. Items are presented in familiar fashion, tables followed by descriptions.

These are followed by spells. First we start with the look at which deities control and grant which domains (including classics mixed with new domains present here (like the Command, Confession, and Dream domains). While some of them seems vaguely familiar (including a two or three borrowed from Relics & Rituals), the over 40 spells are well done and set within the world, helping again to add flavor. New spells are presented for each spellcaster types, and are presented in familiar PHB fashion: spell lists by level and class first, followed by alphabetical description of the spells.

Up next is The DM’s Handbook to Erde treating the DM to a look behind the scenes:

First up are magic items and they are yet another breath of fresh air. Not since Relics & Rituals have I seen so much campaign depth and background written into each item giving it life. Another unique aspect of these items is a classification note for each, where the item is described as either a major or minor artifact, unique, arcane, divine, heroic, tragic, celestial, infernal, or alignment-oriented (each with their own guidelines) helping to further place a special feel about each item. This shows great d20 initiative. Here are presented 40 individually detailed magic items, which have had an impact on the world or cultures of a kingdom. It’s especially satisfying to actually see in game details heroic weapons that helped forge the planet’s history, truly giving the game world an epic feel populated by high heroes. Item creation stats are always provided and they are all lovingly crafted.

Next up is monsters, and a nice collection of them we get as well. The Charon fiend, the lesser chimaera, the dark faerie, the dream warrior, eldritch goblin, Erde hobgoblins, hounds of darkness, lore drakes, miiween, the dreaded Mogrl (Unklar’s generals who survive to this day), sentient tree, sienna olgdonberg horse, tagean hound, troll lord, ungern beast men, Unklar’s breath, the witch orb and a template for the lost souls known as orinsu. Each creature gets its own art, background, and full correctly listed d20 stats faithful to the system and in design. While one or two of these have appeared in some Troll Lord adventures, the rest are all-new, tied to the background and giving the DM lots of fiendish ideas.

At the end is a Chronology of the World, and a Index, and Notes on the Economy. The Chronology is a listing of major historical events from the beginning of the planet, truly painting the epic landscape for the game group, and listed by each type of calendar (of which there are four throughout Erde). The index is good and plentiful, but there were also quite a few things omitted. This is the place where I went to look up the "Misty Brookshire" where I read all happy halflings wish to go, and expected to find it here but did not. Instead, the index concentrates on the obvious named features and sections, which still means it does it’s job well. The notes on the economy highly detail the economic rating feature explained earlier and truly give the DM an idea of the land they are reading about in just a few easy paragraphs, an innovative design than answers loads of questions while still giving a creative DM breathing room!

Conclusion: The Codex of Erde is a fantasy world for the third edition game we all love. There are a lot of these. Where does Erde stand out? Internal consistency for one, giving rhyme and reason to the ancient dungeons, lost cities and forgotten tombs under old imperial and devil-spawned ruin. A true, hearty background from which to launch a thousand adventures of your own design. Gods and magic and heroes of an epic scale, but with a terrible evil presence, ages which dwelt in suffering, and warring nations to give it a dangerous and deadly appeal. Reason and purpose behind the "typical" fantasy races, classes, and trappings, not to mention just the darndest cool naming conventions around (place names like Aufstrag, Eisenheim, Grundliche Hohle, and Norgorod-Kam ooze with flavor and yet roll off the tongue without complication, and Hero names in like Aristobolus the White, Luther the Gallant and Daladon Halfelven give good flavor and are treated with respect). The wealth of quality information alone (not filler) easily justifies the price. In an arena with dozens of published campaigns available, this easily rises to sit with the very best of them in history and execution, and I very much look forward to launching my own Erde campaign. I can easily recommend this grand tome!

NOTE: TLG’s doesn’t plan to publish any supplements to the world setting. All anyone has to do is get the hardcover and they are ready to go and can develop the campaign setting to their liking. All of the TLG Erde modules will be set in around the current year (1097 or so) so as to not disrupt any gaming group's own continuity. Extra background info, and crunchy bits will appear in adventures instead. At some point TLG may publish a companion volume on Inzae.

Simon Collins

Explorer
Beware! This review contains major spoilers.
This is not a playtest review.

Price: $34.95
Page Count: 256
Price per page: About 14 cents per page - about average for this size of product.

Format: Hardcover

External Artwork: An average piece of artwork showing a dragon chasing an armoured knight beneath a portico.

Additional Page Use: The first eight pages are either blank, or contain credits, contents and a note from the authors regarding expansion of the setting. The last four pages are blank or have ads and the OGL. The inside covers are both blank. In addition, each section title takes up a full page. The back page contains a brief overview of the sourcebook on a mock black vellum background.

Internal Artwork: The art ranges from poor to good, the best stuff coming from Jason Walton.

Maps: The maps are fairly average, with some non-standard scaling on the indoor maps.

Page Layout: Text density is average, margins are good and there is little in the way of white space, except in the adventure by Gary Gygax, where, the tex density is also above average.

Text Style: The writing style is a little awkward and at times verbose. There are regular editing errors including spelling mistakes and even repeated paragraphs which interfere with the ease of use of the book.

Whats Inside:

The History Of The World (42 pages) is a lengthy tract. It is quite Tolkienesque in style - somewhat formal, old-fashioned and stilted. And very detailed. As explained in the Authors Note at the beginning, the world of Erde is strongly influenced by mediaeval Europe, and this is noticeable in the large amount of German-sounding words. The style and use of language gives the history an epic, legendary feel. There are plenty of seeds for adventure ideas here, but its heavy going to read. The history covers from the beginning of the world of Erde (created by the All-Father), includes the history of the dwarves, the coming of the goblins, the lengthy goblin-dwarf wars, the death of the All-Father and the birth of Unklar (the nightmare of the All-Father), the Age of Man, the Age of Heroes and the fall into utter darkness (known as Winter Dark) after the Catalyst Wars, the Winter Dark Wars (as heroes fought to rescue the land from Unklar's dark grip) adn finally to the defeat of Unklar and the beginning of After Winter Dark, the campaign setting for the world of Erde.

Of The Cosmos And The Gods (10 pages) deals with cosmology, the most noteworthy aspect being that when the All-Father died, his mind shattered, opening gates and portals to a number of other planes, here called the multiverse. The Dreaming Sea, an odd sea affected by the dreams and nightmares of the peoples of Erde is also briefly described, before the section discusses climate and the calendar. Three types of gods are worshipped on Erde: Eternals (the most powerful gods, of which there are 10), Spirits (18 of them, lesser deities), and Immortals (heroes and villains from recent history who have risen to godhood - 9 of them, with 3 more on the verge of godhood). There is another categorisation into supreme deities, greater deities, lesser deities, minor deities, and heroes/villains, with consecutively lesser amount of domains to offer priests, although strangely domains are not dealt with in this section, but 150 pages later under spells. This section has some interesting gods and some adventure seeds acn be teased from between the lines. A sidebar also deals with a code for Confessor Knights, paladins who worship St. Luther ( a god who stars in the Troll Lord adventure, The Malady of Kings).

The Kingdoms Of Erde (72 pages) varies in the type of information it deals with for each kingdom, sometimes concentrating on place, other times on famous people or the nature of society or politics. However, the majority of each section is taken up with further detailed history of each kingdom. Most kingdoms are given two pages, though the more important kingdoms receive three or four pages. Each kingdom is assigned an economic status, depicting its level of trade and industry, and the type of items it trades, using a quick-reference icon system. The kingdoms are heavily influenced by historical societies, particularly German and French mediaeval ones. But there are also influences from England, Scandinavia, Rome, Egypt, and Greece.

Notes On The Geographies (28 pages) deals with the geography of Erde, and is broken down into six areas, each section describes the major geographical features of each area. This is an interesting section with lots of good adventure seeds if one reads between the lines. The places are kept relatively brief and interesting, and detail mainly forests, mountains and rivers - each with their own little twist to them. The section ends with a piece of flavour text regarding knights and their habits.

Search For A Lost City (10 pages) is a short adventure written by Gary Gygax (maybe in return for naming one of the kingdoms Gaxmoor??!!). It is designed for characters of levels 1-2 and is a very basic introductory scenario. Whilst searching for the mysterious city of Gaxmoor, the PC stay overnight in a farmer's barn. They encounter an angry bull and can use the bull to help them escape a concerted attack on the farmstead by a large band of gnolls looking for food.

The Player's Handbook (34 pages) deals with player-orientated information, including:
Races and Languages: Changes to the standard races include a breakdown of elves into twilight elves, wild elves, wood elves, and high elves (which confusingly is also a character class). In addition, the Half-Faerie race is introduced (actually pretty similar to a Half-Elf). Halflings have an expanded set of favoured classes and have some extra skills. Several of the races have a change in ability scores, most of which incorporate a +1/-1 bonus/penalty within the changes. A Height, Weight and Age table is given, and there is a discussion of the new languages of Erde.
Classes Orders & Guilds: This section introduces a new character class, High Elf, which is confusingly described as both a new race and a new class at the same time. New prestige classes are Holy Defender of the Flame (essentially a paladin), Primal Druid (essentially a Druid), and Watcher In The Wood (a ranger with druid abilities). Twenty Guilds and Orders are described, some extremely brief whilst others take half a page up. Fairly standard stuff including assassin guilds, paladin orders, forest defenders and sorcerous guilds.
Equipment & Economy: This section includes an explanation of the economic icon system used in the Kingdoms section, as well as introducing some new weapons and armour, including cannon, muskets and pistols.
Spells: The domains of the gods are given here along with 40 new spells specific to the world of Erde, and 3 new domains (Command, Confession, and Dream).

The DMs Handbook (26 pages) details 40 new magic items for the world of Erde (quite a few of them are fairly major artifacts), 17 new monsters (including Dark Faerie, Dream Warriors, and Troll Lords) and a new template - Orinsu - a spirit that can animate bodies or objects.

The book ends with a piece of flavour text, a chronology, an index, a re-statement of the Icon system for economies and a small political map of Erde.

The High Points: Probably the most interesting sections of this sourcebook are the ones on the geography (which has a number of potential adventure seeds hidden within the text and some interesting locations) and the section on deities (which again could be plundered for ideas). Some of the internal art is pretty good as is the layout design.

The Low Points: There is just far too much boring history in this book. The author has a limited understanding of the use of the d20 rules in terms of design (there are some real howlers, most notable of which is the high elf character class/new race). There are various pieces of information which are badly misplaced (i.e. in the wrong section). Text is repeated, there are too many elementary editing mistakes, and the writing style was stilted and awkward.

Conclusion: There has obviously been a huge amount of work put into this book so it is a real shame that there is very little about which I can be positive. This sourcebook needs less history (a LOT less history), and more adventure ideas (perhaps an expanded section on geography not just detailing forests, mountains and rivers but some more original settings). Probably most noticeable of all to the majority of gamers will be the basic mistakes in design in the Players section. There is some interesting stuff here, but its not worth the time or the money to find the few needles in this muddled haystack.

Menexenus

First Post
Summary: Although this book contains a few intriguing ideas and exemplifies reasonably good production values, poor editing, uninspired exposition, and a mind-boggling rules mistake significantly reduce the value of this product to the point where I cannot recommend buying it.

On the surface: This is a 256-page hardbound book designed to introduce players to the campaign world of Erde. Interior pages are exclusively black and white. Text density throughout most of the book is excellent. Illustrations rarely take up more than a quarter of a page and the margins are very small. (Many products these days use elaborate margin designs to help take up space. This product uses a minimalist linear margin design. The result is that the edge of the text is exactly 0.5 inches from the edge of the page.) The general quality of the interior art hovers around average, some better and some worse than others.

<Warning: spoilers follow.>

Innovative Ideas: This world has just emerged from a thousand-year reign by a god of evil (that was banished about a century ago). One city (Gaxmoor) was pulled out of time when the Dark Lord's reign began and has recently returned. In this world, the dwarves are the first-born race of mortals, and the main enemy race are the goblins (some of whom are inherently magical). Each country is provided with an economic rating.

Pros: I like the production values of the book and the main ideas of a world emerging from darkness and a city that reappears after a 1000 year absence. (However, I didn't much care for how these ideas were fleshed out.) I also liked the adventure hooks that were found in some of the later chapters that detailed the different kingdoms and geographical regions.

Cons: The main world map is hard to make sense out of and contains numbers that do not appear on the legend below it. The introductory adventure by Gary Gygax is very simplistic and utilizes a font-size that is significantly bigger than the one used in the rest of the book. The 42-page world history at the beginning of the book is poorly written, making it seem interminably long. (I count myself as a history buff, so the length of the history itself is not what bothers me. The problem was that the history is not written well enough to make the reader care about the events it describes.) The script used for headings was at times difficult to read (especially the capital letters). The authors inexplicably describe a new character class (yes, CLASS) called "High Elf". This is a mind-boggling error that seems to indicate that the authors fail to comprehend a distinction as fundamental to the d20 system as race vs. class.

Final Thought: Perhaps those who have enjoyed Troll Lord's adventure modules (and who therefore have a pre-existing interest in this game world) will find this book more valuable and interesting than I did. However, as a first introduction to the world of Erde, this book failed to pique my interest. I bought this product because I found it at a resale shop for half price, and I was really hoping that I got a good deal for my money. Unfortunately, even at half the cover price, I find myself experiencing buyer's remorse. I'll be recouping my loss on eBay (if I can find someone to buy it, that is).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads