The Crypt Thing - ever used/experienced one?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I used one once, it was very disappointing, most of the party made their saves and those who didn't got lucky anyway as they weren't teleported very far at all.

Thanks for reminding me of it, though - I'll have to lob one in somewhere soon, see if it works any better this time. :)

Lanefan

Stormonu

Legend
I used one back in 2E, and I was rather disappointed with it. It zapped one character some distance away outside the dungeon before it got scragged, and I spend the next two hours with the characters trying to find the missing character.

I'm placing one in the Secret City campaign I'm building for Pathfinder, but I intend to have the teleport channeled to a specific location this time around, instead of a random one.

<Edit:> I'd love to do a crypt thing that's like the stone angels from [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwFIu4Demx8"]Blink[/ame]

Last edited:

grodog

Hero
I've used Crypt Things a few times, but the one I remember best was placed in Roger Moore's _Return of the Eight_, where it resided in the depths of Tenser's castle, as a treasure guardian/historian/sage. Good stuff.

Used one once that just sat in his throne looking over an entrance to the inner sanctum of a tomb. If approached he said nothing but waited for a password to be uttered in order to let people proceed, if not, teleportation madness. Most failed the save and were hopelessly split up. Even had one character teleported back to town. :)

pawsplay

Hero
I remember thinking that teleportation was an odd ability for an undead creature's main attack. It made a lot more sense, when I learned that the in its original appearance it was conceived probably more like a construct. An enchanted skeleton that makes dire utterances and teleports people makes a certain amount of sense.

Hussar

Legend
I added one into the first region when I ran the World's Largest Dungeon. Just seemed like a custom built monster for the adventure. :D

Was loads of fun. Tossed the group all sorts of places and they had to be really sneaky to get back together again.

Fun monster, but, something that should not be used too often IMO.

Wycen

Explorer
Being such an old and cool monster, if a little weird for the traditional hack and slash dungeon adventure, I'm sure we encountered one at some point, but they aren't as memorable as watching spells bounce off a death knight and getting hit with a 20d6 fireball or wondering if the skeleton is a skeletal warrior and remembering the DnD cartoon episode which had Dekion.

In the FR module Hellgate Keep, two crypt things lurk in the ruins.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Pic or didn't happen. :)

Bullgrit

Sorry, but I don't currently own a camera or the cash to buy one. :( I can tell you that it's the Crypt Thing from the AD&D 2e MM, though (and it's done in black and grey, rather than color).

A lot of people mistake it for a Grim Reaper, but every now and again, I'll have somebody on the street go "Dude! Is that a Crypt Thing on your arm?!?" (well, okay, it's happened twice) and that makes it all worthwhile.

It's pretty washed out right now, though (I got it almost 15 years ago).

Remove ads