D&D General The D&D Monster I have never used (or faced) and probably never will.

I ran a one shot adventure once that was set in a valley run by tinker gnomes who had every variant of the giant space hamsters listed in that MC entry (yes, every one), plus a couple of my own creation. And there was also a monstrous evil flumph. But when it comes to 'monsters never used', there were quite a few in the Fiend Folio I just never had a place to put them...

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Rare monster I have used (really, unique monster):
When one of my Tiamat players wanted to change out characters while the group was sailing from place to place, I obliged him: Nessie (the Loch Ness Monster) showed up, attacked the ship, and "just happened" to pick his character for lunch.
Next time I do that, I'm going to use the Plesiosaur description and be sure to add the power Swallow Whole to its write-up. It took Nessie the whole fight to chew through his HP the old-fashioned way, no chance to grab any seconds off the traveling buffet.

Monster I will never use:
that Atropal undead thing in the Tomb of Annihilation. Acererak is stealing souls for his own selfish benefit, not to become a "stepdad".

I would like to note that this seems excessive. That's all.
It was an adventure piece. The party had to sneak across a massive chasm that was about the size of the grand canyon, while the flying terrasque roamed up and down. Failure was not immediate death, but it would become a terrifying chase scene.

R_J_K75

Legend
I ran a one shot adventure once that was set in a valley run by tinker gnomes who had every variant of the giant space hamsters listed in that MC entry (yes, every one), plus a couple of my own creation. And there was also a monstrous evil flumph. But when it comes to 'monsters never used', there were quite a few in the Fiend Folio I just never had a place to put them...
Tinker gnomes are awesome. I always used them for priest of Gond in FR as NPCs. I ran an adventure in Waterdeep where the autonomons they created malfunctioned and went haywire causing havoc through the wards. The funniest one was the grave digger in the city of the dead.

R_J_K75

Legend
To truly see excessive tarrasques you need to go to the planet with hundreds of them. Spelljammer did like to make things bigger in space (hamsters, dragons, the number of tarrasques).
I had forgotten all about this. I know I read the book but dont remember the planet or adventure. This one seems a little over the top. In all honesty Id rather see SJ get a 5E reboot over any other seeting because it didnt take itself too seriously. I still say that Michael Douglas on this cover.

1606880005103.png

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Thing is, there's boatloads of monsters I've never used but there's very few of those I can honestly say I'll never at some point use in the future...

...except the Tarrasque. :)

Remove ads