• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Diogenes Club {Cthulhu by Gaslight d20}

Sherlock

First Post
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age. -- H. P. Lovecraft, "The Call of Cthulhu"

The London fog was thick as soup. The steady clip clack of a horse drawn hansom cab could be heard down the cobble stone street. The gas lit lampposts cast circles of light. Oasis’s in the dark fog. The horn of a ship coming up the Pool could be heard in the distance. The dank smell of the river hung in the air. It smelled of dead fish and mud. Dobber and Tasha were talking under a lamppost at the intersection of Church Street and Gun Street in Limehouse. It has been a slow day and even slower night. Dobber had just lit a cigarette when a chinamen walked quickly by them holding a bundle close to his breast. His eyes where down cast and he didn't even seem to see Dobber and Tasha as he stumbled by. He then swerved into an alleyway not 20 feet from then. A crash is then heard.

Lord Amberly smoked on a Turkish cigarette as he rode in his black carriage. He was a powerfully build man with a great bushy mustache and thick sideburns. He clothing was of the finest quality and he tapped his silver-headed cane across his leg with the rhythm of the horses. Across from him, sat Dr. Paul Schiff. The two had become good friends during the short time that they knew each other. "Well Doctor, I hope you will enjoy the lectures tonight. It should be very interesting. Professor Galvan and Count Hardenberg should have some interesting things to say about their studies and travels in Africa." Just at that moment the cab stopped in front of the Diogenes Club, an exclusive gentlemen's club in which Lord Amberly was a member. As Lord Amberly and Dr. Schift exited the cab they almost ran into a ruffled looking gentleman in a brown suit. He seemed to be deep in thought over a street map.

Doctor Michael Marvey thought it was a good idea to walk to the Diogenes Club for the lecture. To take in the night airs and stretch his legs. Now he was hopelessly lost. The street map was wet and the street names were starting to run together. Just then a fine horse drawn cab stopped in front of him.

The large library of the Diogenes Club was unusually busy this evening. The normally quiet and sedate Club was full of conversation. The special lecture on Africa had been put together by some of the more powerful members of the club. Professor Gregory Galvan, expert in Zoology, Biology, and Chemistry was to give a talk on the great apes of Africa jungle and Count Friedrich Von Hardenberg to give a short description of his travels in the Sudan.

Angus McQuinn stood in a corner of the room and observed the powerful men around him. That must be Count Hardenberg over there talking to Professor Galvan. He had just met the Professor last night. Though even though McQuinn was a member of the Club he rarely came. The only reason he even was considered for membership was his Knighthood because of his involvement in solving the Bickford Murders and his acquaintanceship with Mycroft Holmes. When the Professor invited him to the lecture it seems a good idea at the time.

Last edited:

G

Guest 11456

Tasha Velmont : Cat Burglar

As the chinaman walks by, Tasha's eyes absentmindedly follow the man for a few steps before returning here attention to Dobber and then to his lit cigarette. She sees the man disappear down the alleyway. She was about to say something when she heard the crash in the alleyway. She turns and runs instintively in that direction.

yangnome

First Post
Dobber watched the Chinaman pass by as his eyes grew accustomed to the dim light again. He took in a deep drag from his cigarette and exhaled, then looked towards Tasha. He had just begun to form words in his mouth when he heard the crash and Tasha rushed off to investigate. Dobber took anohter deep drag from his cigarette, held it a moment and thn exhaled teh smoke into the thick night air.

"Strange. No one's supposed to be working this area tonight, at least no one that told me." He muttered to himself as he flciked the bright cherry from his cigarette. One it was out, he put the remaining butt into the pocket on his coat and began walking in the direction of the crash. Might as well take a look. If someone's mug-hunting in this area withut tellin' me they'll need to pay their dues."

Tonyfr

First Post
Dr. Micheal Marley shakes off the cold. Frustrated he folds up the map and proceeds down the street. He laughes to himself that he thought he left this type of weather in New England. He is looking for anyone to give him directions to the Diogenes Club. If no one is available he wonders to the closest major street.

DrZombie

First Post
"A bit busy, I say, Alfred. I'll have a Dartmoor ale. In good time man, no need to rush. . . . Aaah, thank you."

With a proper drink in his hand, he wanders over to Prof Galvan. "Aaah, Prof. Galvan. Quite a crowd we've got here, all waiting for your lecture. Hope you're not too nervous." he says, with a big grin on his face.

Last edited:

Sherlock

First Post
A Alleyway off of Church Street, Limehouse

Tasha quickly sprints to the alleyway where the Chinaman had entered, her eyes slowly adjusting to the darkness. A few paces into the trash strewn alley she sees the slumped body of the Chinaman, Dobber strolls up behind her to survey the scene.

Last edited:

Sherlock

First Post
Tonyfr said:
Dr. Micheal Marley shakes off the cold. Frustrated he folds up the map and proceeds down the street. He laughes to himself that he thought he left this type of weather in New England. He is looking for anyone to give him directions to the Diogenes Club. If no one is available he wonders to the closest major street.

Dr. Marley sees two well dressed men exit the carriage before him. One is tall, broad of shoulder, with a bushy mustache, wearing a dark suit, and carries a cane. The other is thin with a neatly trimmed brown mustache and beard.

Sherlock

First Post
The Diogenes Club

Professor Galvan, a distinguished looking man in his early sixties with salt and pepper hair, turns to Angus. "Oh Inspector McQuinn." he says with a smile. "I am so glad you could come." Angus and Professor Galvan exchange handshakes. Angus is impressed with the professor's strong grip. He turns to the man who he had been talking to. "Count Hardenberg, this is Sir Angus McQuinn, he is a police inspector with Scotland Yard."

Last edited:

flyingricepaddy

First Post
"Indeed, Sir," Dr Schiff responds as he starts to climb out of the cab. "Dis last week has been zo busy, I am lucky I habe time to attend dese talks tonight. I'm a little--"

His sentence is cut short as he catches the eye of the confused-looking gentleman standing before them. After missing a beat or two, he speaks up rather awkwardly.

"... Hallo... sind... ah... you are here for de lectures... ja?"

He glances at the folded map clutched in one of the man's hands.

"Or... not?"

Tonyfr

First Post
Dr. Michael Marley looks at the gentlemen. "Yes, I hope to attend lectures at the Diogenes Club but I believe I am lost. Is this the Diogenes Club?"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads