The DM Giveth, so the DM Taketh Away?

Altalazar

First Post
Unless there is really some overarching plot reason to give something that will just be taken away, I really dislike that. Personally, I think a DM should be able to handle the players having gotten just about anything without being heavy handed.

KRT

First Post
ThirdWizard said:
I disagree. A 4-5th level party against a rakshasa, who is apparently very sure of himself, and a henchman? Exit stage left. Like the time my PCs met a lich, who just waved them away because he couldn't be bothered. Not gonna try their luck with that!
Ever? If they were outmatched then yes, but to not go back later or set an ambush or recruit help. That's a sure way to get elected to the town council (don't want any risk takers on council) and let the real adventurers go out in the woods.

ThirdWizard

First Post
KRT said:
Ever? If they were outmatched then yes, but to not go back later or set an ambush or recruit help. That's a sure way to get elected to the town council (don't want any risk takers on council) and let the real adventurers go out in the woods.

It depends on how often the DM puts Encounters into the game that the PCs can't win. Those "real adventurers" would likely end up dead soon in a campaign like that. The PCs in my example were 6th, and the lich was 16th level. Of course, they had no clue. In the raksasha example, he might have been classed, or had traps, etc. They're very crafty creatures, after all. Last time my PCs tried to take on an enemy who was nonchalant around them, he turned one to stone, yawned, and then walked away while they pulled back.

KRT

First Post
dfmoss said:
We stragled back to civilization with just about nothing. Think about it, you have a steel or iron belt buckle holding up your pants!

You went back though eventually and kicked some, right?

dfmoss

First Post
KRT said:
You went back though eventually and kicked some, right?

This encounter happened about two or three sessions ago. We still do not consider our party ready to handle the creature - a lammasu.

We are still trying to figure out what this creature is all about (the characters that is, the players have read the SRD write up on lammasu. The characters do not know what to think, yet).

Remove ads