• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Dukes of Hell

RainOfSteel

Explorer
BOZ said:
no, it probably isn't. ;)

i can't totally write Tiamat out of the picture for having archdukes working for her, since FC2 had to go and explicitly state that Amduscias and Malphas serve her. but yeah, we can come up with another solution that modifies that situation somewhat.
It could be that Asmodeus has given her the title of Ruler of the First and some dukes as servants to keep her happy, while Bel (and predecessors) has the actual archdevil powers and does the slogging work on the Blood War. If so, it's no wonder there would be conflicting stories.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Ripzerai said:
The baatezu do that with the Dark Eight because they're trying to create the illusion of continuity and permanence in that august institution.

Mephistopheles, though, wants to do the opposite. He killed "Molikroth's" co-conspirators in order to make an example of those who would defy him. He would therefore want to advertise the discontinuity, letting it be known far and wide what happens to traitors. It seems like giving the replacements the same names as their disgraced predecessors as if nothing had happened would go against everything he's trying to do.

good point. what to do about that, then?

Shade said:
I'm not sure if this is relevant, but in Dragon #337, we name-dropped the pit fiend Asgeroth, who is now Imix's greatest servant and general tasked with destroying Zaaman Rul. He's got ties to the fallen archdevil Moloch in Hell's political maneuvering, at least.

i'd say it's relevant - to Moloch at least. :) he's probably even more pissed that Glasya took over his old layer, since he undoubtedly wanted that spot back. ;)

back to Amduscias, Malphas, and Goap...

i would say that they all serve Bel in some capacity. Am & Mal at the very least command Tiamat's armies of abishai. here, i think, is the simple solution: they serve the needs of Avernus, more than the lords who are there. it's likely enough that they even worked fo Zariel at some point. i'd say Asmodeus placed them there primarly to keep the Outcast Dukes in line, and prevent invasions into Avernus, and they follow the orders of Bel and Tiamat as needed to perform that task.

Ripzerai

Explorer
Tiamat guards the portal to Dis. As such, she has been given some diabolic servants (including two dukes) to aid her in this task. I don't see any problem with that, or any need for a more elaborate explanation.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
OK, if that is settled, then let’s move on to the “rabble of devilkin”.

I’ll start taking a look into them. I’ll deal with Moloch, Amon, and Herodias under the layers they formerly lived, and for that matter any “longer-termed” outcasts for whom we know where they originated: Armaros (Nessus), Dagon/Jaqon (Nessus), Kochibel (Malbolge), and Rumjal (Stygia). Must be interesting having Rumjal there, with Amon and Herodias there now too!

Might as well deal with those whose origins are still a mystery under Avernus, since we don’t know anything more about where they came from.: Nergal, Bist, Caim, Azazel/Hazzael, Cahor, Duskur, Malarea, and Nisroch (unless we can determine where they came from, and if not that’s hardly a big deal).

Ripzerai

Explorer
My guess is that Nergal is from Malbolge, judging from his background in Elminster in Hell.

I'd also speculate that Malarea was once Levistus' consort, if only because he otherwise doesn't have a named one.

Nisroch is probably from Maladomini, given that he tried to assassinate Abigor.

I'm not sure if Bist is even a baatezu; she might just be an advanced bezekira.

Duskur is so independent it's hard to imagine her ever serving anyone. Someone must have given her the form she presently wears, but she probably didn't even stick around to say thank you before setting off on her own in Avernus.

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Ripzerai said:
My guess is that Nergal is from Malbolge, judging from his background in Elminster in Hell.

I'd also speculate that Malarea was once Levistus' consort, if only because he otherwise doesn't have a named one.

Nisroch is probably from Maladomini, given that he tried to assassinate Abigor.

I'm not sure if Bist is even a baatezu; she might just be an advanced bezekira.

Duskur is so independent it's hard to imagine her ever serving anyone. Someone must have given her the form she presently wears, but she probably didn't even stick around to say thank you before setting off on her own in Avernus.

i think i can agree with all of those items, but i'd rather leave them as speculations than concrete facts. :) it's nice to throw things out there which may or may not be true and let people decide for themselves.

i was thinking the same thing about Nisroch, but the article was not too specific about him. it's easy enough to say that some of these lords have been stuck on Avernus for so long that their origins have become a big mystery.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
OK, about the only thing I would want to do with the outcasts is to give at least some of them goals. For one thing, while Glasya’s ascension has shaken and scared the other current Lords of the Nine, all other devils in the hierarchy as well as the outcasts, have seen that as hope for opportunity for advancement. Particularly, wild speculation into Levistus’ future leads many devils to want to be his replacement.

Nergal might be secretly dealing with another devil of Glasya’s court to try to undermine her new power structure and worm his way back in there. Cahor’s chaotic leanings might lead to some double-dealing with the demons in the Blood War. Duskur might wish to take advantage of the respect of the dukes of Avernus to gain some kind of arrangement with them. Malarea might seek to become Bel’s consort, if she can escape his forces long enough to gain an audience with him.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
OK, moving on then…

DIS
Dragon #75 said:
Between the city and the hills lie the vast estates held in fief by Dispater’s vassals. The duke Bitru is the strongest of these vassals; he can muster 70 companies of erinyes. Merodach (described below), commanding 21 companies of barbed devils, and the pit fiend Furcas, with 12 companies of bearded devils, also boast sizable holdings. Mephits, achaierai, and rakshasas wander these holdings, and stench kows and spined devils are the working backbone of them. Rakshasas sometimes achieve positions of responsibility in a duke’s household or retinue, but are always watched closely, for they are too self-willed and ambitious to be trusted servants.

In the city of Dis itself - and almost always within Dispater’s palace - can be found Lilis, Dispater’s consort; his prime minister, the pit fiend Baalzephon, who orders and administers Dispater’s vassals and armies; and Biffant, the provost, who runs and commands the staff of the palace itself. Titivilus, Dispater’s nuncio, can be found here, as can the pit fiend Bel, who commands the “Iron Guard” (3 companies of malebranche), and Arioch, Dispater’s avenger, who punishes all those who have wronged or hindered the will and plans of Dispater.

We have established that Dispater has been in charge of his layer for a long time, probably since Asmodeus first established the layers of Baator. He was also the Lord most “unscathed” by the Reckoning, in that he did not even change his name or appearance. This stability seems to be an important character trait of his, and I imagine that his court has probably also been the most stable throughout the years, with some of his current court members having been with him since the beginning of his reign.

The pit fiends Furcas, Baalzephon and Bel are no longer with him, of course, having moved on to bigger and better things. I wonder who now handles the duties of ordering and administering his vassals and armies, and commanding his Iron Guard of cornugon bodyguards? Probably someone(s) found below…

Monster Manual II said:
Titivilus is notorious for his ability to twist words, to use words to confuse, and to confuse those using words. Fittingly, he is the messenger for Dispater. He is not large nor particularly strong, but he is most clever. It is said that Titivilus possesses a silver sword of wounding … Once per day Titivilus can use a symbol of discord or sleep (19 levels or hit dice or 99 hit points affected. A saving throw indicates only nodding and dozing with a 1 in 20 chance per round of awakening fully). He causes fear by touch only…
Titivilus appears very similar to a satyr, but he is actually more human looking, save for his bat-like wings. His skin is pale, but his cheeks are slightly ruddy.

Dragon #75 said:
Bitru serves Dispater and leads 70 companies of erinyes in warfare. These devils are raised from the vast estates held in fief. Bitru employs a huge (+3 two-handed) sword in combat…
He causes fear by pointing at any creature within a 60’ distance, saving throw vs. spell applicable…
Description: Bitru is very muscular. His skin is shining crimson, and his horns, hooves, and wings are lustrous black. Bitru’s visage is typically diabolical.

Dragon #75 said:
Lilis, consort of Dispater, is one of the older and weaker female devils, but her careful diplomacy and strategies and her attention to events in the hells and elsewhere (her network of spies is said to be second only to that of Asmodeus) has kept her own position in the infernal regions as secure as that of any of the nobility of the hells. Lilis and Biffant (q.v.), Dispater’s provost, are as trusting and as close as two devils ever become — but both are (thus far) unswervingly loyal to Dispater, making his control of Dis the envy of other archdevils…
Once per day Lilis can cause insanity by touch. She can cause fear by pointing at a victim (one victim per round; saving throw vs. spell applicable)…
Lilis has orange-red skin, copper-colored hair and green eyes; she looks like a short, plump, well-preserved human female of middle age, except for the hue of her skin, her tiny orange-red horns, long red nails, forked tail, wings, and delicate cloven black hooves.

Arioch serves Dispater in the office of “avenger,” meting out punishment upon all on Dis who defy or otherwise displease his master. He also wards off the intrusions of devils of all ranks from other planes, and accompanies his master as bodyguard in all situations of possible peril (such as visits to the court of Asmodeus or other planes). In combat, Arioch employs a huge, 20-foot-long, double-ended +1 halberd (having a blade at either end, and wielded by grasping in the middle of the shaft) of adamantite…
He radiates fear at will in a 6” radius (saving throw vs. spell to avoid)…
Arioch’s flat, reptilian head (rather like a stubby crocodile’s) is ringed with a leonine mane. His skin is dark wine-red, deepening to purple on the head and shoulders, and on his great bat-like wings. Arioch has a forked tail, great cloven hooves, and heavily muscled arms.

Biffant serves Dispater as provost, running the affairs of that archdevil’s palace. Consequently, he is almost always to be found in the Iron City, usually in the palace itself, where he is never without a staff/guard of two “messenger” erinyes and six servant spined devils. Typically he carries an ornate iron rod (equal in damage potential to a morning star), but will seize whatever is at hand in a battle. Biffant prefers to let others fight for him, however, and will try to summon or otherwise call for aid if attacked. He is not particularly brave or forceful, but is crafty and plans far, far into the future. Biffant and Lilis (q.v.) are said to be very friendly; closer in mutual understanding and cooperation, some say, than Lilis and Dispater himself…
Biffant radiates fear in a 3” radius at will…
Biffant appears as a portly, blood-red skinned humanoid devil, wingless but with a small, tufted tail and two inward-pointing, hook-curved horns that sprout from his head above either temple. His eyes are of a single hue, deep blue-green, and he is always smiling.

Merodach is a duke in the service of Dispater, and leads 21 companies of barbed devils into battle on his master’s behalf. Merodach has the body of a wolf, large, feathered wings, and a prehensile, serpentine tail. Atop Merodach’s head are two huge, spreading longhorns, and these he can turn slightly to strike an opponent. A clumsy flyer (Flight Class D), he prefers to run on all fours, but in battle often rears up to wield a weapon with his front claws. He has no special or magical weapons, but favors polearms of all sorts. In a fight his jaws do 1-10 damage, his claws 1-4 and 1-4 (or one attack with a weapon, damage as per weapon type +5), and his horns 2-12 each. Merodach’s tail does no damage in combat, but is used to trip, blind, and disarm opponents, or to carry weapons for Merodach’s use later…
He is able to cause fear by touch (save vs. spell to avoid).

Alocer is a duke in the service of Dispater, and leads 36 companies of erinyes into battle. Warlike in attitude, Alocer wears plate mail and fights with broadsword, axe, mace, and dagger, wielding one at a time and biting at the same time with his great jaws. He will seize and employ other weapons (incurring no non-proficiency penalties) available when in battle, and often rides a nightmare about his estates or to war.
Alocer has a humanoid body with red-gold flesh and a fearsome leonine head. The fiery flash of his eyes can be seen for some distance; if one meets their gaze, the victim must save vs. spells or be blinded for 2-12 days (devils are immune to this power). A cure blindness or dispel magic spell will restore sight to a victim.
Alocer can cause fear by touch (save vs. spell at -3 to avoid).

Faces of Evil: The Fiends said:
His numerous servants include erinyes and several dukes. The most notable of these is Titivilus, Dispater's messenger and herald.

That doesn’t offer much help, beyond confirming that Titivilus was still working for him…

Fiendish Codex II: Tyrants of the Nine Hells said:
Several unique devils, including Lilis (Dispater’s consort), Arioch the Iron Avenger, Biffant (Provost of the Iron City), and Titivilus (Nuncio of Dispater), are members of Dispater’s court. The armies of Dis are commanded by pit fiends and a few unique devils, including Alocer, Bitru, and Merodach.

So it looks like his court has remained intact through to now, minus the “named” pit fiends.

Probably not a great deal more to say about Dispater’s court than that. :)

Book of Vile Darkness said:
The chief of all his erinyes servants of Ustyhrin-ja, a hideously scarred disciple. She is fiercely loyal to Dispater and in recent weeks personally slew three erinyes under her that she discovered were actually spies for Baalzebul. This event has made her even more paranoid and distrusting of all except her master.
The Iron Tower has a new guardian as well: Talos. Contrary to what some people now say, Dispater did not create Talos. The legendary iron golem is very old, and how it came to serve Dispater is a bit of a mystery.

I know that “Talos the Triple Iron Golem” rings a bell for me, but I forget where he appeared before the BoVD.

Remove ads