• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

the Dungeon Menu?

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Try to keep snack and drinks on hand, have a list, it part of the follow-up questions of the game session. Snacks seem to be moving to energy / nutrition bars and trail mix and water these days. If people do not like the pot, they bring their own.

---

In game, don't really worry about it. If I do, it is a planned event, like loss of goods due to a flash flood, pony being taken by fling monkeys, stuff like that.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
It should also be noted that the standard...ehm..."quality" and nutritional value of "snack food" has changed over the years.

Whereas Doritos and Pringles and Reeses and the like dominated the table in our youth...now the table includes "snacks" like veggies and dip, tortilla (not potato!) chips and salsa, pita and hummus or tatziki, etc..."Healthier" snacks for the, ehem, "more mature" gamer are just as easy, and not much more expensive...and if I may say, worlds above in flavor than greasy chips and salty pretzels.

:)

As always, eat what you like...no wait. That doesn't sound right...well, you get the idea. ;)
Bon appetite.
--SD

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
You kill it? You clean it and fry it.

Waste no meat.

Indeed!

I find Havard's Handy Vat of Endless Hot Oil works best. But Mordenkainen's Magnificent Deep Fryer is good too. ;)

lol. Still "spreading it around" if someone would be so kind as to XP Shaman for me for the chuckle, I'd appreciate it.

--SD

Vascant

Wanderer of the Underdark
Last session we had pizza casserole, kind of this recipe I have been screwing with. Before that my wife made chicken and potato soup. People bring their own drinks and any other snakes they desire.

Gilladian

Adventurer
I always supply one source of chips for the group. Usually low-fat pringles or sun chips. Once in a while it is something else; fruit roll-ups I had bought for a program at work, or candy my mother-in-law gave us for easter, etc...

Most of the time a couple of the other players supply a snack for the group - they do bring their own drinks. I have one player who rarely brings anything, but she's on the tightest budget of us all, and she has other sharing habits, so it isn't an issue.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
As we play in the evening only starting at 8:30 local time, we make do with snacks, not meals.

We provide the group with basic drinks (mineral water, tea, ...). Any special drinks are brought by the players themselves.

Everybody brings snacks for the whole group to enjoy. But...

We have two problematic cases in the group. :cool: One player is a hobby baker and often brings the products of his efforts, the other being my wife who starts getting nervous two hours before the game and notices that only such basic, unhealthy stuff might be available. Her output is usually some kind of self-made snacks like sushi, some dips, some kind of pastries or pie, some selection of antipasti or something to that effect. In some cases I actually had to defend my battlemap, dungeon tiles, the character sheets, miniatures, or dice being pushed aside to make room for the buffet.

Stumblewyk

Adventurer
For my monthly Friday night group, the host will order a couple pizzas about 1/2 hour before everyone shows up (6:30pm-ish), and then everyone pays a couple bucks when they arrive to eat. Often, someone will bring along some chips and dip (my wife makes an AWESOME Buffalo chicken dip that's become a big hit with the group). We also drink a lot of beer.

My weekly Sunday group plays in the evening, after we've all eaten dinner, but someone usually ends up bringing a snack or something for the whole group to share.

Will Doyle

Explorer
This strikes me as the perfect opportunity to show off our Beholder Cornish Pasty Pie.

Attachments

• beholder.JPG
    beholder.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 57

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So what would do you do for food during sessions?

The groups I work with usually play in late afternoons or evenings. We've settled into snacks being a bit potluck, and having dinner for the group (which generally decreases our snack intake).

When time and schedules permit, we prefer to home-cook a meal for the bunch, but when that isn't possible, we order out. We have one person who is so picky about what he eats that he brings his own food.

Also...do you enforce rules of eating for the characters?

When the PCs have enough to pay their upkeep costs, and are in places where food is available, we generally just assume eating happens as appropriate. Only when they are dirt, dirt poor, or are in places where food is scarce, do we worry much about it.

Remove ads