• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Dungeons & Dragons Virtual Table

S

Sunseeker

Hmmm, looks interesting. Here's hoping it'll turn out good.

Can't say I'll use it, I do like playing in person best.

renau1g

First Post
(
I have an honest question for people who want/wanted (or are already using) a VT: where do you see this fitting into your games?

I would like to game with members who've moved onto other cities that I can't currently play with. If it linked in PC's and Monsters so I wouldn't need to create macros (like in Map tools) ... wunderbar

IronWolf

blank
Dear WotC - how about fixing the tools we are already paying for and that are currently not working or not updated.

In case I am not clear, I am referring to the Character Builder and the Monster Maker.

Thanks in advance.

I find the timing of this announcement amusing. Uproar over the online CB, I can see the PR folks scrambling and then "Hey look! Bright and shiny thing over here, look!" and suddenly people turn their attention away from the CB and to the new VT! Marvelous!

the Jester

Legend
(jesterdog: I hope they mean nonDDI will have a way to access)

Me too. Also from the FAQ:

Q: What versions of D&D is the VT designed to be used with?
A: The character and monster information storage portion of the VT is set up to be used in 4th edition Dungeons and Dragons. The rest of the tools can be used with any edition.

That's promising- a nod in support of older editions. It might help them gain a little revenue from non-4e players.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
I hope this turns into a useful functional program. I really do.

Unfortunately I have been disappointed by WOTC's digital offerings enough times that I'm not getting my hopes up.

Also I think the timing is interesting, coming so soon after the disappointing (for me at least) character builder release. I wonder if it is on purpose.

BobTheNob

First Post
Is it browser based, or client side?

Anyhoo, damn. I write and maintain my own virtual tabletop, but that does look good. I wonder whether there will be a change over.

Key points for me:
1. Support for house rules : If this things doesnt have good support for house rules, we wont be touching it. We dont have a whole hell of a lot, but they are important. Reality is every group has house rules, and lets hope wizards can figure that out (...this time)
2. DM Flexibility : If there is one thing I have found using a VTT setup, as a DM you need to be able to adapt. My own software I had as a "do everything" approach (it did all the number crunching itself), but I found it un-usable as circusmtance is far too quirky. I ended up changing the whole thing to an open control and built in a reminder system. To Wizards : FLEXIBILITY
3. Dont make your subscribers pay more for this. Seriously, we subscribe, you have our money, and the question you have to ask is whether you want to milk your existing base harder, or expand your base. Please dont charge extra for this, cause there is no way known you will get extra out of me.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Honestly it looks like a mapping / tile tool with some added features, and a step back from the ideas and form behind the original 3d VTT (for better or for worse).

Timing on the announcement strikes me as dubious. Also the question of it being part of the DDI subscription, which such a program was always assumed to be part of when or if it came out. If it eventually comes out as something extra to pay for, that may not go over well with folks who may have subscribed long-term.

OchreJelly

First Post
wow I'm pretty surprised to see this! Conceptially this seems very different from those early tech-demos:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWZ2WdeTo1M]YouTube - Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition: Part 2[/ame]

Not that I mind. I'm a usability-first kinda guy and having token monsters is easier than having 3d models .

Scribble

First Post
Honestly it looks like a mapping / tile tool with some added features, and a step back from the ideas and form behind the original 3d VTT (for better or for worse).

Timing on the announcement strikes me as dubious. Also the question of it being part of the DDI subscription, which such a program was always assumed to be part of when or if it came out. If it eventually comes out as something extra to pay for, that may not go over well with folks who may have subscribed long-term.

Shrug- they probably re-did it as an actually obtainable goal.. Which is good. :)

As for timing- I hink it's pretty obvious they choose to announce it now as a way to get people a little less frustrated...

I kind of wonder though if the beta testing isn't really any different then they ever do... Only they just told everyone about it instead of keeping it in house under NDAs.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads