The End RPG- Just got my copy- Beautiful!!

JimT

First Post
I just got my copy of The End this morning. It is beautiful. It looks like an old archaic bible.

I have not been all the way through it yet, but the Book of Kings (whoch discusses the colonies) is very cool, disturbing, but cool.

Very compact hit die progression in the classes.

I looked at the firearms system in the Book of Numbers. It looks pretty good- good discussion of recoil and rapid fire.

I love the picture of the Voodoo Queen (I presume) in the Book of Apocrypha.

It is fantastic so far. More Later.

JimT

First Post
More info as promised:

Table of Contents-
Book of Chronicles- Diary of Harry Lebowitz, an interesting look at the world after the apocalypse. Great feel for the world.
Book of Revelation- Walks through the Seven Seals and provides the story of the end of the world-- sets the stage for the campaign.
Book of Kings- Details the Colonies of the world. Tons of material here. 14 colonies and four organizations. Very Nice.
Book of Genesis- This is the d20 material. The base class, the Meek plus a slew of Reborn classes. I like the "Sin" concept.
Book of Acts- Skills and Feats. Lots of new combat, medical, and day-to day feats. This is the first system that I have seen that focuses on feats built on skills for everyday features- like Quick Work, Harvest Power, Make Light Source.
Book of Lamentations- All I can say is "Ennui" very cool, monsters aren't bad either. The Magic systems are a basic but very different.
Book of Numbers- Firearms system (yum), vehicles ok.
Book of Judges- more flavor for the campaign
Book of Apocrypha- sample characters in the world of The End. Tommy Thrillkill is disturbing.

Overall, looks good, minor quibbles about some layout issues, but I really like the book. I did not see extensive equipment lists, but this is probably because you can scavenge most of it and the economy is barter based. This will be a fun campaign to run.

JimT said:
I just got my copy of The End this morning. It is beautiful. It looks like an old archaic bible.

I have not been all the way through it yet, but the Book of Kings (whoch discusses the colonies) is very cool, disturbing, but cool.

Very compact hit die progression in the classes.

I looked at the firearms system in the Book of Numbers. It looks pretty good- good discussion of recoil and rapid fire.

I love the picture of the Voodoo Queen (I presume) in the Book of Apocrypha.

Unless it's Jessica, all grown up. :D

It is fantastic so far. More Later.

I just got it yesterday (Thursday). It looks like a great game, but I wonder if anyone will actually play it. (Anyone wanna play a game at GenCon? Maybe we could wear "I play banned game" buttons, similar to those "I read banned books" buttons popular with anti-censorship types like myself.) I immediately wanted to write a setting book for it. Maybe a foreign country, since the book only concentrates on the (former) U.S. And the Jonathan Swift reference--ROFL, but creepy!

And I couldn't help but think of Stephen King's Dark Tower series. I could see some things cross-over between the two settings (but certainly not all things are compatible between the two settings).

Brutorz Bill

First Post
Compatible with Hell on Earth??

When you mentioned Stephen King's Dark Tower series it made me wonder if the game is at all comatible with the Deadlands : Hell on Earth Setting? a d20 version (of Hoe) is due out any day and I'd love to merge elements of the two games together.
Regards,
Brutorz Bill

Re: Compatible with Hell on Earth??

Brutorz Bill said:
When you mentioned Stephen King's Dark Tower series it made me wonder if the game is at all comatible with the Deadlands : Hell on Earth Setting? a d20 version (of Hoe) is due out any day and I'd love to merge elements of the two games together.
Regards,
Brutorz Bill
Well, they're both d20, so they're automatically compatible, right? :D

I don't know Deadlands: Hell on Earth well enough to venture a guess.... A major premise of The End is that everything decays very rapidly, unless it is being used and maintained. So, if you maintain your house, it's fine. But, the one next door will revert to dust in a few years (or was that months?). Nature is reclaiming everything man-made. Not sure how that environmental element would mesh with Deadlands: Hell on Earth.... It makes almost everything extremely scarce in The End.

Lord_AO

First Post
But the End is really D20 insn't it? I can't find it on Tyranny's webpage, nor on their cover pictures.

Is it a campaignsetting, or really a new D20 game like spycraft or CofC?

Tsyr

Explorer
Um... its a new campagin setting, but its got a lot of new rules too... where do you draw the line? Its not for "standard" settings, no...

Lord_AO said:
But the End is really D20 insn't it? I can't find it on Tyranny's webpage, nor on their cover pictures.

Is it a campaignsetting, or really a new D20 game like spycraft or CofC?

Yes, it's d20; there is a big d20 logo on the back of the book.

But, as Tsyr noted, it's a campaign setting with a lot of rule changes. So is Call of Cthulhu; it's just a matter of degree. Both The End and CoC are different enough that I consider them separate games.

Haven't read Spycraft, so I don't know about that one....

Last edited:

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
As a collector of all games post-apocalyptic, I have the original The End.

It was interesting, but far from amazing.

I am looking forward to this version however.

JimT

First Post
Yes, in agreement with the other posters. It is d20. Scroll down on The End page on their website and the logo is there as well as the back of the book. I would also consider it a seperate game and not a seperate setting. Really, it is a new game that uses the d20 mechanics. A PH and DMG would be helpful for game play (as would a MM for Dire Animals, but far from necessary. You could play right off the System Reference Document.

It is fun though. I like how they minimalized hit points and really emphasized the interrelationship between skills and feats.

Remove ads