• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Ethics of Two Way Ignore

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
That is the question though. There seems to be an assumption that the person blocked is a harasser (a bad actor, in other words), even though there are other reasons why a person might be blocked. That assumption of malice makes it not about the person doing the blocking, but about the character of the person being blocked.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That is the question though. There seems to be an assumption that the person blocked is a harasser (a bad actor, in other words), even though there are other reasons why a person might be blocked. That assumption of malice makes it not about the person doing the blocking, but about the character of the person being blocked.
In an individual case, sure. When it ends up being a case of "it's not me it's everybody else" that's a harder argument to make.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
In an individual case, sure. When it ends up being a case of "it's not me it's everybody else" that's a harder argument to make.
If it really was everybody else or most everyone else I would agree.

I dunno that it is though. Far fewer peeps have me blocked than don’t have me blocked. If it was really me wouldn’t almost everyone block me?

*pretty sure this applies to everyone.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
No, there is no built-in assumption of anything. A blocker just blocks whomever that blocker wants for whatever reason that blocker decides. It's literally no one else's business. There's no broad assumption of malice, because for the most part* no one aside from the blocker and maybe the blockee even knows it's happening.

Malice only becomes a concern if there are reports of bad behavior. But that's a different function, its button is called "Report". The blocks in and of themselves aren't part of that.

* Yes, someone could suss out these things due to imperfect technical implementations, if they really want. But doing so takes some effort and noseyness... at which point it might start veering into actual harassment. If caught, that's when the "malice" concern probably legitimately kicks in, as it should.

Thomas Shey

Legend

Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. I've got about five people blocking me; sometimes I remember why, sometimes I don't, sometimes I'm a little sorry they felt the need, sometimes I figure "no big loss".

But I don't think its unreasonable for Morrus or the mods to figure when someone has had it done in the mid to high two digits, and that the same people the complain about it happening, they perhaps are getting what they asked for (especially since I doubt this happens very often without a fair number of reports about that person being made, and again, not like I've never had any red text directed at me).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I dunno that it is though. Far fewer peeps have me blocked than don’t have me blocked. If it was really me wouldn’t almost everyone block me?

Activation energy is a thing.

There is a basic maxim of public relations - the actions you see (complaints, reports, yelp reviews, etc) are a generally only a fraction of the folks who had the same basic notion, but took a passive route to deal with it.

And, all things are relative. If one person is blocked by a hundred, when most folks of similar activity level are not blocked at all, then the assessment that the blocked person is more offending than most has some merit.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Well, obviously. Over 7 billion people haven't blocked you. That's not really the argument you think it is.
I wasn’t talking about 7 billion people I’ve never had any interactions with, I was talking about the users of this site.
If substantially more than average numbers of people block you, the odds are it's you, not them.
Okay, let me try to approach it this way. Why do you believe that’s true?

I believe most blocks occur because two people start butting heads and escalate it from there. The one that gets tired of it first blocks the other.

The scenario that everyone is being nice and friendly and some jerk starts being rude and nasty while everyone else remains nice and friendly is an extreme rarity in my experiences.

Remove ads