The Ethics of Two Way Ignore

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
@Morrus
Just an FYI. The block issue also impacts those who have blocked another user. They are unable to see threads started by the person they blocked. Not suggesting this should change your priorities but hopefully the info helps you make the most informed decision you can.

Reynard

Legend
Assuming you mean block - it’s a bit beyond a personal tool when it impacts others IMO.

I 100% understand this as I’m much the same. I’d just question why 1-way ignore instead of 2-way block doesn’t accomplish the same thing for you?
I mean, I didn't say that. In fact, this whole thread is predicated on my uncertainty about whether it is okay to block.

Reynard

Legend
Assuming you mean block - it’s a bit beyond a personal tool when it impacts others IMO.

I 100% understand this as I’m much the same. I’d just question why 1-way ignore instead of 2-way block doesn’t accomplish the same thing for you?
I mean, I didn't say that. In fact, this whole thread is predicated on my uncertainty about whether it is okay to block.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
@Morrus
Just an FYI. The block issue also impacts those who have blocked another user. They are unable to see threads started by the person they blocked. Not suggesting this should change your priorities but hopefully the info helps you make the most informed decision you can.
I personally don't want to post in the threads of people I have ignored and don't understand why others would in most cases.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
When I am at a party or other social function with lots of people and an interesting conversation is happening nearby, I often interject and don't have any issues. People understand that out in a social setting conversations are not private unless you walk off by yourselves somewhere.

Forums like this are the same.

Forums like this are similar, but not exactly the same. For one thing, there's the distance and pseudo-anonymity - many of the cues that normally moderate human behavior in person do not operate well in text online. To wit, most of us would not be so rude in person.

Also, even live social spaces are not all-or-nothing as you present it - either everything is entirely public, or you leave to be private. In fact, people in a public space will lower their voices and turn away to avoid folks they don't like. Maybe you'll overhear, but that doesn't mean you should always just push your way in.

If they want privacy, that's what the private conversations portion of the forum is for.

With respect, your Maxperson, are not the arbiter of how the forums work. Please do not present as if you are.

In a thread anyone can interject as those conversations are not private.

You are too concerned with whether you can do a thing, and not enough on whether you should.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
When I am at a party
You're not at a party. You're in my house, and I set the code of conduct.
People understand that out in a social setting conversations are not private unless you walk off by yourselves somewhere.
These "people" have found you obnoxious enough that they've literally turned their back on you. Yet you insist on barging in. That's not just rude, it's now become creepy.
Forums like this are the same.
They are not.
If they want privacy, that's what the private conversations portion of the forum is for. In a thread anyone can interject as those conversations are not private.
This is incorrect.

It may be what you want this forum to be. It is not what this forum is.

If people don't want you in their conversation to the extent that they've blocked you to ensure that, get the hell out of their conversation. Period.

92 people are blocking you, dude. Read the room.

Your only solution to this "repugnant" conundrum you seem to find yourself in is to not get yourself into it. Be nice, or have a crappy experience. Your choice. You're an adult, I'm not your mum, and I'm not sympathetic.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This is why "bulletin board" was a much better terminology for a discussion site than "forum"; because to me the analogy is apt: you're posting a sign on a bulletin board that anyone who passes by can read, and the only way to prevent people from reading it is to take the sign down.
Incorrect. It's not a bulletin board, it's a forum. If you want a bulletin board, this is not it

Thomas Shey

Legend
I personally don't want to post in the threads of people I have ignored and don't understand why others would in most cases.

I can potentially see someone who is a thread starter that I'm uninterested in interacting with because of their choice of tone where the thread itself is innocuous. It depends on how active they are in the thread (and thus how disruptive to following it). Its not like there aren't cases of thread starters who either never return to the thread, or trail out of it when the thread goes somewhere else in focus.

That said, its not the end of the world if I don't see it, either.

Remove ads