The Ethics of Two Way Ignore

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
You're not at a party. You're in my house, and I set the code of conduct.

These "people" have found you obnoxious enough that they've literally turned their back on you. Yet you insist on barging in. That's not just rude, it's now become creepy.

They are not.

This is incorrect.
Yes it is your house, and the rules of your house allow billions of people to view any thread here. That billions of people can view any thread means that those threads and the conversations in them are not private. The only way you have set up to have a private conversation in your house is through the conversations button up top, which starts a conversation just between the people invited.

The rules of your house also allow me to respond to a post belonging to someone who has not blocked me. It's pretty inappropriate to say that responding to a post of someone who has not blocked me is creepy. That literally calls everyone on this site who responds to any post, creepy. It's not creepy. I have no interest in trying to have a conversation with someone who has blocked me, which is what could be considered creepy.
If people don't want you in their conversation to the extent that they've blocked you to ensure that, get the hell out of their conversation. Period.
I'm not trying to converse with them and never have. I'm only responding to those who do not have me blocked.
92 people are blocking you, dude. Read the room.
The overwhelming majority of those are folks who have initiated verbal attacks/confrontations and then blocked me when I stood up for myself by responding to them in the manner that they first initiated with me. I'm not in the wrong for standing up to people who are attacking me verbally in some manner.
Your only solution to this "repugnant" conundrum you seem to find yourself in is to not get yourself into it. Be nice, or have a crappy experience. Your choice. You're an adult, I'm not your mum, and I'm not sympathetic.
My experience is much improved with those 92 who have blocked me. I have many more peaceful and constructive conversations without the folks who like to initiate confrontations. My only issue is the new absence of threads started by those folks. They now get to attack me and if I stand up for myself and they block me, I get punished for not rolling over to a verbal attack.

Jahydin

Hero
There is a certain thousands-page-long thread here, where folks do this on the regular (usually in a passive-aggressive tone.) As if they think anonymity and vagueness can shield them from consequence.

I suspect that thread is just a few days away from getting locked because of this tomfoolery.
It honestly does feel like the "Mean Girls" of EN World gossiping away at times...

That said, I do like it since it functions as a Discord channel of sorts.

Last edited:

cranberry

Adventurer
The overwhelming majority of those are folks who have initiated verbal attacks/confrontations and then blocked me when I stood up for myself by responding to them in the manner that they first initiated with me. I'm not in the wrong for standing up to people who are attacking me verbally in some manner.
Yes, I've seen this on other forums where a "senior" member starts a confrontation with a newbie, the newbie responds in kind, and gets banned or blocked despite the fact that it was the senior member who initiated the confrontation.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
My experience is much improved with those 92 who have blocked me.
Apparently not.

They now get to attack me and if I stand up for myself and they block me, I get punished for not rolling over to a verbal attack.
Utter nonsense. You can keep repeating it until our eyes glaze over with sheer boredom, but it won't make it true.

1. Nobody gets to "attack" you. That's why we have a report post button. Use it.
2. It's not the wild west. It's my forum. Your job isn't to 'win'. Use the report post button.
3. Sure, it's everybody else, not you. All 92 of them.
4. You forget, we can all read your posts. Guess what? It's not everybody else. The sooner you develop the self-awareness to realise this, the better. But that's not my responsibility.

You've wasted far too much of my time with this. I'm not going to argue ridiculous semantics and weird hyperbole with you; it's tedious. Follow the rules, don't get blocked, or suffer the consequences of your own behaviour.

I won't be replying to you about this further.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
@Morrus
Just an FYI. The block issue also impacts those who have blocked another user. They are unable to see threads started by the person they blocked. Not suggesting this should change your priorities but hopefully the info helps you make the most informed decision you can.
@Morrus, I’ve also just confirmed this issue affects people that just 1 way ignore others. They cannot view threads started by the person they are ignoring.

*Slight correction - I can enter the thread, I just cannot see it in the community list of threads or even when navigating to the forum subsection it is at.

Last edited:

Remove ads