The Fantastic Four Casting and New Release Date Revealed by Marvel Studios

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Thinking about the age thing, what do we know about F4 aging anyways? (I say that as someone who has no idea and assuming some folks do) Maybe this origin story starts in 60's but then moves forward so Pedros older look will be appropriate. So, even though Reed ought to be 80-100 now, he will only look 50?

Ryujin

Legend
I would personally disagree.

My main knowledge of Marvel, like the only period I've read tons of comics and tpbs from is the mid-1980s through to about 2000, so just before Ultimate stuff. This because I didn't buy Marvel stuff really but had a friend who bought ALL OF IT basically lol. He had a huuuuuuuuge bedroom (like, I thought mine was big - his was probably 4x the size - you could rent it as a studio flat nowadays and it wouldn't even be a small one) and there were just neat and orderly piles of Marvel comics and tpbs everywhere.

And if you asked me in that period, how do you feel about Reed Richards, I'd have told you "The man is a smug jerk".

Can I remember exactly why? No. But that emotional impression of him is very solid and I definitely read a lot of FF comics or crossovers involving the FF. So my strong belief is that he's been a jerk since sometime in the 1980s or 1990s. I know this was also the feeling of other friends who'd read the same comics.
I would go as far as to define it as "condescending jerk." He started out as a fatherly figure, but slowly morphed into the "father always knows best, even when he doesn't" type.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Low expectations. Marvel has really fallen for me as all the stories are galaxy is doomed stories now. I hope to be wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.

Vael

Legend
I would go as far as to define it as "condescending jerk." He started out as a fatherly figure, but slowly morphed into the "father always knows best, even when he doesn't" type.
I do wonder how much of that is more how society perception has changed. Again ... not a big FF reader, but from what I have read, Reed is very much the Silver Age Patriarch. Emphasis on Patriarch-y.

Staffan

Legend
I do wonder how much of that is more how society perception has changed. Again ... not a big FF reader, but from what I have read, Reed is very much the Silver Age Patriarch. Emphasis on Patriarch-y.
That's pretty much where I'm coming from too. Reed tends to be the kind of person who sees other people as things to solve. He cares, but with a distinct lack of empathy.

There's a stereotype about men and women where a woman complains about something to her man, and the man looks for ways to solve the problem when she's really looking for validation, comfort, and sympathy. Reed tends to be that, turned up to 11.

Ryujin

Legend
While painting onetime superheroes as complex or actively bad personalities is a fairly recent thing, as has been done with the likes of Cyclops, Antman, Mr. Fantastic, and Iron Man, I don't really think my take from reading comics in the 1980s would qualify as recent anymore. Stark was sometimes shown to be an alcoholic. Hank Pym beat his wife. If anything I'd say some portrayals are more subtle now.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
That's pretty much where I'm coming from too. Reed tends to be the kind of person who sees other people as things to solve. He cares, but with a distinct lack of empathy.

There's a stereotype about men and women where a woman complains about something to her man, and the man looks for ways to solve the problem when she's really looking for validation, comfort, and sympathy. Reed tends to be that, turned up to 11.
Venture Brothers really played this up in their satire of Richards.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Given all the turmoil in the Marvel camp right now, doing a major release like this in 18 months seems... unlikely. I hope we don't get another thing hyper-rushed into production because We Must Have Product In Quarter X.

Remove ads