The Fellowship of the Rings and other Observances

Son_of_Thunder

Explorer
Hello fellow ENWorlders! I just have a few observations to make. I am currently re-reading The Fellowship of the Ring and I must say that WOW this book is fandangtastic. I also must say that even with Peter Jackson’s rendition I don’t think he detracted in anyway from the feel of Middle-Earth.

Now, there have been some threads in the past recommending good fantasy books to read. Some have admitted that they do not like the Lord of the Rings. Let me quote from an introduction by J.R.R. Tolkien himself, in Ballantine Books Edition: Copyright renewed 1982 by Christopher R. Tolkien. Forward, pg. 9:

“Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works, or of the kinds of writing that they evidently prefer.”

I laughed out loud when I read this. It proves we have opinions and that I don’t have to like Jordan or Moorcock or Cook or that hideous Martin. Secondly is the long held belief that the book was an allegory for WW II. The following comes from pg. 10 of the Forward:

“The real war does not resemble the legendary war in its process or its conclusion. If it had inspired or directed the development of the legend, then certainly the Ring would have been seized and used against Sauron; hr would not have been annihilated but enslaved, and Barad-dur would not have been destroyed but occupied. Saruman, failing to get possession of the Ring, would in the confusion and treacheries of the time have found in Mordor the missing links in his own researches into Ring-lore, and before long he would have made a Great Ring of his own with which to challenge the self-styled Ruler of Middle-earth. In that conflict both sides would have held hobbits in hatred and contempt: they would not long have survived even as slaves.”

Now given the words of some and the man who wrote the book, I’m going to believe the man who wrote the book.

Finally, no matter what some have said about the influences on D&D, no other literature, that’s right literature for you bub, than Lord of the Rings has shaped the game more. Look at Original D&D for instance. What races could you play; hmmm, human, elf, dwarf and hobb… er I mean halfling. I’ll admit that influence from the game came from many sources such as that hideous Elric cra… stuff, Robert E. Howard and others, but Lord of the Rings takes precedence above all.

Son of Thunder

literary criticism

We'll you know whatever the author intended doesn't impact a literary criticism of his works.

honestly who cares what the author was intending, its impossible to convey intention when dealing with unstated or interpreted information.

i say a box is red, you pretty much get it.

i say a box is like a chicken, and you're on your own. even if i tell you i ment that they are both made of matter. its just as true that a box and a chicken are both useful to american society. neither is more, or less, correct.

anywho, bad anology.

joe b.

rabid jordan hater. i mean come on, they keep pulling their braids so much its gotta come out :)

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
T-diddy is the granddad of all fantasy, as far as I know. He made the legends and myths cool, and established that making up your own can be cool as well.

That said, though I enjoy the Lord of the Rings, some of it just dragged ON and ON and ON and I didn't care in the slightest. I mean, it's like it never occured to him that I don't give a flying fudge about his intricate history and legendary figures from Middle Earth, because none of them were as interesting as the story going on as the book was being told. I only care about Elrond, his spawn, the lords of Rohan, etc. as much as they directly affect the story.

Don't get me wrong. Immensely enjoyable books. But yeesh, the guy can babble on the most obscure points of his history for such long periods that it gets rediculous. :)

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Although at first I skimmed over some of the parts of the Lord of the Rings that seemed parenthetical and largely irrelevant to the story (like the Lay of Earendil, for instance), I have to say that I appreciate them a lot more now. Those parts are one of the things that set Tolkein's works apart from the works of later fantasy authors and which place the stories at least partway in the same genre as Beowulf or the Norse sagas. That's the kind of thing that happens in Beowulf--when he defeats Grendel, he and his men feast with the king and are given gifts, make boasts, swear oaths, and hear a bard sing an song that is largely irrelevant to the rest of the story. It's that kind of thing which distinguishes Tolkein and the author of Beowulf from the much more plot driven modern works that make up modern fantasy novels.

Squire James

First Post
It is precisely "all that boring history" that sets Tolkien's work above most other fantasy fiction. His world makes sense. He isn't going to suddenly reveal that Frodo is a secret heir of Elendil, or make some sudden decision in the third book that Sauron is a good guy. We know this because Tolkien tells us the history, and he has characters in a good position to KNOW what really happened!

I have no such certainty when reading a book by Mr. Martin. Exploiting uncertainties seems to be what drives most of the plot. This makes for a good read, but I never really hear of people trying to run a campaign in that world!

Bob Aberton

First Post
I concur.

It is 'all that boring history stuff' that sets LotR, the Hobbit, the Silmarillion, etc. apart from other works of fantasy.

Tolkien's works do not give "the impression of depth."

Tolkiens works have real depth.

Most authors start with either plot or characters, then build the background as they go along.

Tolkien built his stories from the ground up. First he created a language. An entire, complete, language. How many other fantasy stories can boast that?

Then he created a mythology for that language.

From the mythology, he created a logical, comprehensive history.

From the history, he created a setting.

From the setting, he created a plot.

From the plot, he created the characters.

That is what sets Tolkien apart.

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
Son_of_Thunder said:

Finally, no matter what some have said about the influences on D&D, no other literature, that’s right literature for you bub, than Lord of the Rings has shaped the game more. Look at Original D&D for instance. What races could you play; hmmm, human, elf, dwarf and hobb… er I mean halfling. I’ll admit that influence from the game came from many sources such as that hideous Elric cra… stuff, Robert E. Howard and others, but Lord of the Rings takes precedence above all.

ELRIC CRAP!

I see we're going to have to take this outside.

<rolls up his sleeves and whips out his scimitars>

Not that I don't love Tolkien... I'm still amazed by that man's work, even after slogging through the "History of Middle-Earth" series... and I adore Peter Jackson's film adaptation, I didn't think he could pull it off...

But don't diss da' Moorcock. Thems are fighting words.

Remove ads